Why Is She Unpopular?

Because Kim Wu has nothing special going for her and her entire kit isn’t that impressive or is immediately spoiled when you find out the catch. Doing Shin’s flying kick from HNK is cool, doing Shin’s flying kick and learning the flaws it has in putting you in the corner potentially, it’s weird ■■■ hitboxes and problematics frame data AND the need for dragons to get good damage off it urgently is not. Dragon’s are cool, your only method without Instinct being a very weak ender that does not scale with ender levels, does little damage and resets to neutral with no frame advantage and a very iffy counter is meh. She does good damage but then again it’s more exceptional for a character in this game to not have good damage. Her frame data is good but a good amount of characters have that too and better or more to go along with it and better range (her good frame data normals are her notably stubby ones and her sweep is pitiful) and setups. She has great air normals but a HORRID jump arc/speed/whatever and it bites her in the back hard compared to others.

She’s basically a meal that looks good and looks very edible but after you bite in expecting a dance on your tastebuds you get instead a meh taste and you are just.disappointed.

She as Crazy LCD has said is weaker version of many character like Jago and Orchid.
She is very weak to rushdown and pressure and her offense game is limited to how much dragons she has. Her punish game is meh but other character get so much more off AA’s punishes or ground punishes and that in a lot of cases requires you to burn a dragon to match their damage alongside her mer AA game. Her HK does medium normal damage for some reason despite it not really warranting it. Her damage isn’t that impressive since in lockout scenarios and counter breakers other do matching damage or close to it and her damage is more focused on her cashouts.

Like she’s a rehash of many characters in Killer Instinct in fact since a lot of her stuff is borrowed from them heavily with very little twist in them or a flaw otthe that’s very severe… They each have their own reasons to pick them but Kim Wu it’s like “She has x… but wait another character does that but better, she can do y at least granted a lot of character can do that to”

1 Like

I don’t agree with this statement, but okay. :slight_smile:

Kim has good buttons and such, and sure, a character may seem better at one aspect of her gameplay, but that’s not much of a valid reason not to play her.

I think Kim is actually pretty balanced after this recent patch.

1 Like

I believe so too. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more Kim Wu, To be honest.

2 Likes

So with the changes in the most recent patch, what is Kim Wu’s style/gameplan. I like her ultra and that’s usually enough reason for me to try the character.

Her shadow counter isn’t as ■■■■■■ as it used to b so you have a decent defensive measure now mianly because you can convert it to a combo (the counter is an opener remember that). Regarding the statement “Hopefully a few less Shadow Counters whiff now, but some still will.” is this supposed to mean that the things it will whiff on are things the vast majority of other SC’s whiff on as well or just unique to her because I believe Season 3 pretty much made SC’s more universal in how they punish the attacks that set them off so it woudl be weird if her SC’s were made to be more flawed then the rest.

Counter now can start a combo provided you already have a dragon so more of an incentive to use it but it’s still risky to do and requires that you have at least one dragon before doing the counter so but’s not that absurd at all but nice to have.

Level 2+ having extra stuff for he Fire Cracker ender is nice. The level 2/3 bonuses are pretty good for her and the level 4 one is really applicable only in the end of round moment but even then her Damage ender may already have chunked them to death before you can do an end of round fire cracker. She’s also is on the weaker end of building up ender levels so level 4 fire cracker isn’t really feasible to reach

She has a new low option but it solely exists just to make her lk dragon dance more of a threat but honestly she has meaty mixups with her cr.mk off throws, dragon kick and sweep etc to it’s purpose was more for to boost her neutral I guess since it makes sweeping them for her from anything that isn’t “right up in my personal space” possible. It’s unsafe but it gives a better replacement for her stubby sweep for Option Selects.

The frame data changes on her cr. mk +hk are something. Sweep being less unsafe helps since it helps redeem cr.hk as an option in itself since if you are committing to a very stubby normal at LEAST it’s safe that on block you are not prone to getting hit by a light or fast special/shadow