Why I don't Want Any More Seasons

Sorry, just for clarity’s sake - I wasn’t in any way criticizing you using the phrase for why you aren’t watching streams. I’m sure that it’s perfectly appropriate for what you’re describing. I meant that the reason I’m not watching streams is just that I don’t want to listen to whiners. I haven’t witnessed any of the big blowups that are supposed to be going on in streams. I just get on and see guys whining about how the game sucks every time they lose a match (or don’t win by a big enough margin) and I don’t want to watch it. I wouldn’t call it toxic, but I would call it not fun.

I agree. As much as I can see the analogy, I believe that KI is a good game at this point minus a few things (control reversal bug anyone)? and having to re-learn everything from the ground up would be very difficult for some, myself included if they add in new mechanics. Then again, I’d like to think the community have my back if there is a new game, with a sort of KICG 2.0 starting from day 1.

lol. told you so

Interesting, you brought up a lot of good points.

we’re whining because the game isn’t really what it originally started out to be. now Andy, don’t take this the wrong way but ur a casual player. maybe even borderline light dabbler. your approval of these mechanics might differ from other players.

superplayer64 juggled me for 10 hits using jago and no instinct or shadow fireball projectiles of any kind. it was the sickest juggle by any jago player. hot trash man and yoshiman would approve this message.

now having said that all the big name players can talk about that stuff without me in it. as those things are relevant to them but when complaints start from upper middle to lower tier players, it’s always about juggles and frustration. I mean I accept where I am in the pecking order but it seems a little unfair to make the gap wider cause I can’t pull off strict timing juggles like some young kid with lightning reflexes while on bath salts.

I gotta say: I’m the the total flipside of @CrazyLCD

I don’t want a sequel (yet anyway) Because right now this game is perfect.

I haven’t had this much joy with a game since Pokemon Platinum.

So…Yeah When I get bored then I probably would want a sequel.

I mean what’s wrong with the game we have now? Nothing but bugs that can be fixed.

5 Likes

Lol. There’s no “wrong way” to take it. It’s an ad hominem. The purpose and the intention of the statement is to say “your opinion doesn’t matter because you don’t meet my criteria for being someone who matters.” You’re welcome to say or think whatever you want, but I’m a Killer rank player with 800+ hours playing the game. That’s the equivalent of 20 weeks of full time work, or 5 months. And my time is valuable. I’m playing in two different tournaments right now that are organized on these forums, I’ve bought every piece of content twice over, play on Xbox One and PC, bought the KI fightstick on pre-order. I guess that’s “light dabbling” and I’m a casual. But like I said, think what you want.

Putting that aside, the KI community is not a meritocracy and I don’t know why people always insist that it is. Placing in tournaments doesn’t somehow make your preferences count more. Also, I’m not sure who the “we” is in your statement. Are you a streamer? Certainly not one I have ever watched. In which case, and don’t take this the wrong way, but you’re not the person I was talking about.

“the game isn’t really what it started out to be.” According to whom? If you mean “the game isn’t exactly the same as on launch day” then yes. I keep hearing all of these nebulous and anecdotal things from people like you about how “everyone” doesn’t like things about the direction of the game. I don’t know what any of that ■■■■ means. If you don’t like juggles say “there are too many juggles.” Then at least there is something to discuss. But if you want to discuss that, go find a thread to post it in. This is about whether people want more content for the game or not. And the point remains valid - no matter what it is you’re whining about (be it legitimate or ridiculous) the solution to your complaints is not likely going to come in the form of a new KI.

3 Likes

There is something wrong with my user interface, I can’t like this more than one time :frowning:

Now seriously, what makes some people believe that their opinion is more valid than others?

Some people agree with my first post in this topic, others may not. But every single opinion is as valid as other.

As @MandrillManiac stated, I have never been so happy with a game. KI is one of my top 3 favorite videogames ever, and my preferred fighting game, and I probably played +75% of all the fighting videogames.

And STILL, someone who only played KI, has the same rights than me to give his opinion.

Vocing our opinions is good, silencing “casuals” or whatever, with all my respects, is bullshit

3 Likes

I appreciate everyone’s humble and honest conversation here on the matter.
Contrary to popular believe I love having intellectual discussion.
keep it up :slight_smile:

9 Likes

100% agree. I tried watching his streams and it was just a complain/whine fest. Its always:

If i win, cool.
If i lose, keits.

----slightly off tangent anecdote------

One time i tuned in and he was trying to intentionally create an epic beef with another member of the community. He wanted to instigate a rivalry we could all follow (can’t remember exactly who, i think it was thompson or Grimm). The thing is, the rival had already PUBLICLY claimed he was uninterested. So lcd threw a 20 minute hissy fit on stream and i was sitting there just thinking “dude can you just play the game?”

It was revealed during the stream that the other guy was also streaming and getting wind of the trash talk via stream chat. (I swear to god, it was like watching a soap opera unfold via twitch) . Worst part is, after the mad trash talking from lcd, the two randomly got matched up in ranked, live on stream! Like keits went into the source code and said “let there be FIGHT… And resolution”.

Lcd lost, live on Stream.

“Alright, you got your fight, can we move forward now?” - me

“Nah.” - lcd

The trash talking and whining just got waaaay worse. The thing is, to be appealing as a streamer you have to be either good, funny, fun (positive) or hot.

He just lost, he’s not being funny, he is being negative, and I’m straight.

I left. Forever. And apparently, i wasnt the only one.

-------end of slightly off tangent anecdote------

I give this game about 3+ hours a day as well, there are other games getting my attention as it is the holiday season. Not to mention, and I’m not really seeing this around here as often, but for every big streamere we lose here, we gain 5 worldwide. This game is THRIVING in central and South America. They have regular tourneys and streams as well, and are HILARIOUS (Spanish though). There have been more unique users in season 3 than any season, and though the retain rate is low (as is for most f2p games) the “plays on regular basis” group was more than doubled even by conservative estimates. (You can manipulate this number by defining "plays on a regular basis, doubling the core base number is conservative as the new users were around 700% the peak of season 2)

Stream and tourney Numbers, imo, are not the catalyst for a sequel. I feel like this game will be starting its true fgc run NOW, after season 3. i agree that a mechanics overhaul next season is not necessary, or even that welcome. But a season 4 of polish could give us the support were yearning for while allowing us to acclimate to games/match ups.

Also, its taken more than 3 years to bring the game to where It is today. If ki4 was going to forego the season system, it would be more than 3 years to get a game as big as ki3 (and the game isn’t that big). Or we get ki4 seasons, in which case “when’s ki5!?”… Right?

So i propose a paradigm shift. Why can’t we have both? Why can’t we have a polished up season 4, while a small team begins work on ki4. Or since lcd has claimed he’s super down to wait (this is hardly the first time he has brought this topic up) why not polish season 4, give it a 4 year tournament run and announce ki4 then?

Scorpio ? Hdr?

I feel as if what’s really at stake here is graphics (character design?). Bugs can be fixed in this iteration, so can balance and animations. Any limitations brought on by dh engine can be ammended, especially if season 4 is something like a couple clone characters and all polish.

In this respect, i agree with @WandaMaximoff. Season 3 was great, but they haven’t really “nailed it”. I say, “ig, stop trying to give us what we didn’t ask for, or stop telling us what we want… From now on.” Nail the foundation, then introduce the giant single player mode. This way, if it’s lacking, that’s okay because everything else is a home run. I hate that it always seems like they’re simultaneously introducing new stuff and playing catch up. However, were lucky to have them, lucky to have ki, lucky lucky omg the luck is too real. It’s still, IMO, the best fighter out there, largely due to IG and we’re all super proud of them. That being said, either finish the game or catch up on the backlogs, please.

With the extra time gained from not doing stages and characters, the limits of the engine can be expanded. Call of duty modern warfare 2 and black ops 3 still ran off the quake engine. Thats quake 3, btw. The tech that came out in the 90’s. So i don’t feel as if any of the reasons listed are true indicators as to why there MUST be a sequel or ki4.

But it was just one person’s opinion, right? Ok.

i guess I’ll preface (postface?) With the lcd “special words qualifier for saying words at people.” Moniker, But I’ll put my own spin on it.

Ahem.*

" This is all just one cantankerous, having a bad day persons opinion, not speaking for anyone" yada yada yada

3 Likes

Reason I spend so much time here in the first place :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unreal Engine has always been popular but by no means is it the only engine that exists out there while plenty others are just as or even more beautiful; It’s just one example.

While you’re certainly entitled to do whatever you want with your free time as are others, I think it’s better to try and rectify the problem of the so called “toxicity” then to hide from it. Growth of any product stems from exposure and community effort so when people just give in or give up hurt their overall goal. I can’t speak for others but my stream specifically has been criticized a lot lately for spreading negativity about the game which I feel certainly isn’t the case. I’ve always loved KI, but am I correct about everything? No. Am I allowed to have an opinion? Yes. People just need to learn to except streams for what they are which s entertainment. Not everything can be taken literally while most of time (especially with my personality) I have fun and make people laugh.

Sometimes people take my streams as too much “whining” or “complaining” but that’s just who I am. If I yell “KEITS” or “My Character Sucks!”, It’s simply just me talking in the moment and having a good time. Very hard to convey this to new viewers or people who don’t get me and I understand that but you can’t please everyone.

dude lets be honest here. no one said casuals are to be ignored. where did I say that? I did say that that at higher levels of play that people focus on different conversational points. if you put negative connotation around “casual” that’s on you. hell, I’m casual about a lot of stuff. so you can play Superman and save Lois lane all ya want, but theres really no fire to put out here buddy.

I won’t quote your entire post but I encourage you to read my reply to Infiliment two posts above :slight_smile:
Maybe that will help you understand.

1 Like

I have tried so many times to do this. So. Many. Times.

Example: I’ve constantly been trying to get people to stop spreading misinformation about counter breakers (because they DO work, and there’s a great post on these forums to prove it). Every time I try, I get ignored or I get accused of sucking up to the developers. The twitch community has become so arrogant and so tied to their (sometimes misguided) beliefs that they’ll make fun of anyone who disagrees. I’ve lost hope of doing this anymore.

Though I’d really appreciate if you could talk about this on your stream since people tend to listen to you more. I mean, if you don’t care about the issue, there’s no reason to do my request, but do what you think will be helpful :wink:

And after watching your stream for a long time now, I don’t think it has much to do with you either.

Well, there’s a couple of different ideas in here. The first is that if people have complaints it’s good to try to deal with them. I think in general that’s true, but in this case it simply isn’t possible. I don’t have the inside track on this stuff, but it seems to me like there’s a bunch of people who consider themselves to be part of some special privileged group and the impression I get is they are all just super ■■■■■■ that Keits isn’t doing what they want. I’m less clear on what they want (other than the usual nerf the guys who are beating me and buff my main type stuff). Anyway, while I agree with you that addressing complaints is recommended when possible, at some point you cross a line where you are being asked to kowtow to everyone who pitches a fit and that just doesn’t work. I think “the community” crossed that line a while ago.

The second point you are making is that “the community” (by which you tend to mean prominent streamers and tournament players - so although I have a different definition of the community I’m going to base this conversation on my best understanding of your definition) is good for the game, therefore the game makers should be good to the community. I think this is actually a dubious assertion. As far as I can tell, the community is only good for the game as an advertisement and a way of convincing new players to buy into the game. If the community isn’t supporting the current direction of the game, then what value is it that they are providing exactly? Look, people can stream and gripe all they want to. But you can’t stream and rant about how garbage the game has become and then at the exact same time talk about how good the community is for the game. Current KI streams are not “growing the product.”

1 Like

I’d honestly be happy if there were no more seasons. Just bug fixes, character balance changes (not reworks), and misc polish. I don’t even feel that a sequel should be announced anytime soon.

I’d rather they watch the market for a little while. Let 4k gaming grow and become more prevalent. Then build the game based around it. Not only was the game a launch title, but it was also built with the 360 in mind. The engine is dated and I’d prefer something fresh.

I trust MS. They can take all the time they need to make the next installment. I believe they will make the next installment just as good, if not better, than this one.

Sorry, I have to jump in and point out that this is not true. The game was built with the Xbox One in mind. Go back and look at the DH videos talking about how they bid on making the game. When they won the contract, MS came and gave them a top secret briefing on the console under development. KI was always developed as and intended to be an Xbox One game. The 360 prototype demo that you can scrounge up on YouTube was not EVER the basis of the game. It was a PORT they were thinking about bringing to 360. They were attempting to port the existing and previously developed Xbox One game.

1 Like

Well think of it this way, capcom released street fighter 4 and 5, yet people still play third strike. Even if we do get KI4, some people will still play this KI for a long time after.

3 Likes

Well yeah.

but I don’t think we NEED a sequel like in the next minute.

Edit: I might’ve misunderstood you. But I don’t get what you’re trying to add to my statement.

1 Like