Why are so many pros not using Counter-breakers? Also suggestions to help them

I don’t think your suggestion is off base. I use counter breaker quit a bit (sometimes with more success than others) but it seems clear that at “high levels” (whatever that actually means) the risk reward is not considered adequate to use the tool. It may be worth considering how to adjust that without resorting to some radical alteration involving removing combo breakers and counters.

I think resetting the damage scaling is a possibility (adds to the reward), but right now I think it makes more sense to reduce the risk. Remember, if you do an unsuccessful CB you drop the combo and lose out on your ender plus any other damage you would have gotten. That’s a real risk right there. Making it so you are then exposed to a combo opener doesn’t seem necessary to me. I like the idea of allowing you to block afterwards. This was actually a thing in S1 because Glacius had a “safe” counter-breaker using his ranged combos through shatter. Lots of people complained, but those combos have much lower damage potential and so it seemed fairly balanced to me. I wouldn’t object to making all counter breakers safe - so long as you couldn’t counter break and then regain the advantage (which would be dirty as hell).

I accept ur apologize I apologize myself for ranting about the scrub guess breaking that was more immature on my part all in going to do is stop complaining and lvl up that’s it

1 Like

Don’t take what people say/type so personally, in KI there will allways be guess breaking. We all know combos were harder to break in S1 in particular manuals.

The devs have already said they are changing some stuff with the system and with the characters so just hold it down for now and wait to see what changes. For the mean time play other games of the current meta gets to you that bad.

Play me if you wanna play footsies SF style you know you can hit me up anytime.

To clarify, I think it’s really hard for humans to be truly random (there are lots of studies on this, I’ll be happy to link you some, although I’m sure you’ve heard the argument before). So while breaking “truly randomly” is what you’re going for, in practice I doubt it comes through like that unless you read your break attempts off a computer printout. Also, you say that you can input your guess with manual timing to cover all cases but this is definitely not true for all linkers… some manuals come late enough that a light AD would have completely finished by then. It’s possible, then, that you will get an orange lockout on the following linker (which can’t be broken in startup).

Yes, there are some times when the defense will guess break because they were going to die anyway, but this is just the nature of fighting games I think. Risk/reward changes near the end of the health bar and it’s true of all fighting games. Lots of people do crazy stuff because “oh well I was going to die anyway” in any fighting game, and you just have to handle the situation appropriately.

Actually, the counter breaker is active for a very long time; what’s actually happening here is that the opponent is leaving hit stun. This is why sometimes it feels like you catch really really late break attempts and other times the guy breaks immediately and you don’t catch it. It depends on what move you chose to counter break on (and where in that move you chose to do it).

The end result is the same (you didn’t counter break something you thought you should have), but just wanted to say that the counter breaker itself isn’t the problem, it’s that some multi-hit moves do weird amounts of hit stun in the middle.

Yeah, this is true; late in a combo with high damage scaling, your value of a counter breaker goes down. But I think the offense is not helpless here… for starters, it’s rather uncommon that you end up with a level 4 combo with 90 KV that your opponent has not locked out on. If that’s the case, I think you should just end the combo earlier rather than risk the break or counter break. Sometimes it happens, but I think in general, if you get to level 4 it’s because your opponent locked out (and you can safely cash out) or because you had a bunch of white life some other way, which means the damage scaling is probably low.

In the rare cases where this DOES happen, though, I think there is a lot of value in a reset here. It’s important to remember that varying attack strength and counter breaker are not the only ways to bait combo break attempts, resets actually do a really good job of it, often giving you a counter hit bonus AND resetting your damage scaling, and you lose very little (or none) of your white life for trying it (this was a S2 change!). Your reset will also often beat somebody who chose to not break, so it counters more than ONLY the break attempt.

I agree that counter breakers resetting damage scaling would be bad for the game. A Thunder counter breaker would be 100% life, basically.

It’s your opinion, like you said, but I still don’t really see it. You mentioned that some combo things are reactable (which is true), but certainly not all of it is… if you wait for a reactable point, it’s entirely possible the offense will not give it to you. You can choose to start guessing here with presumably better odds, but then the offense is, again, back at the advantage because you are removing some options from your list of possibilities (and you are not defending against resets, probably). You talk about barely ever using counter breaker because sometimes the reward is too low, but most of the time, it will be substantially huge IMO, especially if you are able to pick off your defender’s break habits and counter break in situations where they are > 50% likely to break (the health swing for success vs failure here is way in your favor if you play 1000 matches). So the issue comes in finding spots where your opponent is > 50% likely to break. If breakers are as common/easy to perform as some think, I think this is a very doable task.

I think the real issue here is that we’re arguing based on feel… you “feel” like counter breakers are too risky and I “feel” that they (sometimes) aren’t. It would be cool if somebody modeled the system mathematically to indicate what the risk and reward actually is. I try to bring numbers and percentages into my arguments but they are only ballpark figures.

<tugs collar nervously> I dunno man… this really skews the risk heavily in favor of the offense. Like not just marginally so, we’re talking orders of magnitude more. It is basically a risk-free attempt at 60% damage on every opening, and it decreases the offense’s mental stack significantly and devalues reaction on defense, two things I think are skill-based.

8 Likes

Well when attacking,you alreayd have an edge. You do damage. If they combo break,they already took some damage. They just prevented more. Then you go to neutral(instinct cancel changes this so I don’t enjoy it but use it because I can). Offense wins. Offender does a counter breaker. Defender breaks. Offeneder can do huge damage. Defender doesn’t break. Defender can do a combo but offender can combo break. If you counter break,chances are you did more damage so offender has an edge with a chance it being even. In the end,the attacker is at an advantage.

Yeah I know man just getting stuff off my chest

input option selects while breaking - dp motion + break.

Of course resets are good and very easy in ki though inputting a dp at the end of each double or linker cover those attempts.

Cb are active for 9frames (to my knowledge - it was mentioned in one s1 interview) I think and most heavy linkers have more than those frames.

And as you said it’s my opinion and I’m pretty sure my explanation covers a lot of the reasons why pro players don’t want to counter break. The reward isn’t high enough.

that is just scratching - neutral is way better for characters like kan ra.

When you are attacking your opponent made a mistake - that’s what many don’t put on their math. Yes in Ki it is easier with certain characters to open someone up but it does not take away the fact that the one that gets hit made the mistake.

He made a mistake - I cb and getting damage done to me for doing nothing wrong or is doing a cb attempt now equal making a mistake.

And I don’t see the way pros play changing in the future.

And just because I can combo break after a failed counter breaker does not mean I am at advantage as a attacker cause then im the defender.

Just based on math im at advantage as defender in a combo.

Because they wanna just play by the same rules for every game with minor changes.

Ki is different u have to read to counter damage.

In short i think its too much hard work…

Easier to just learn a game and exploit its ststem than battle another human mind.

1 Like

Ecause many times you get punished for guessing right, just because he broke slightly beforet han the counter b.
How about making so that he cant punish me if he locked out? Also I would add safe counter breakers that use all the shadow meter.

No safe counter breakers with meter. You already have shadow attacks for combo breaker baits.

Ok, that’s cool, but your timing for when you input DP will change depending on the linker/auto-double used (mashing DP is inconsistent), and resets include “do nothing and block/backdash the DP” if I know you’re doing that (which also baits a light breaker turned into throw, probably among other things), and depending on what my reset is, I might delay the button so I can OS block your DP (for example, if I’m doing a slow overhead and not looking to frame trap you, I don’t care if my overhead is 20 or 20 + 3 extra frames for OS block), so this doesn’t really save people from the potency of KI resets IMO.

You’re definitely right in that KI has two layers to conquer - the system mechanics AND the mind of your opponent. And this is where people either love the KI challenge or it’s not for them.

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Wy are so many pros not using Counter-breakers? Also suggestions to help them:

Backdashing and block dp is no reset its a bait. Just like in SF4 where at hard links people tend to mash a dp - its a bait no reset.

Why does it not cover resets? A dp can be buffered in KI a few frames while in block or hitstun and it comes out immediatly. I did not wrote mashing - dont know why you wrote it like that. Of course you have to input it at different times but the resets can only happen if the linker or normal/double ended. Its like in all other fight games where resets occur. Just input it always when someone tends to do resets - for fun play this might be too much (i dont do it always cause it cost a lot of concentration). With one meter you can make it safeish too.

The point is there are ways to prevent people from doing resets. They are risky and it takes effort and knowledge of the opponent but just like in any other fighting games thats where the mind games are.

If i see you do resets - i can start doing the DP input while you combo me - you see i do the dp and bait. I see you begin to bait and wait for the bait to pressure you. Ki is no different than other fighting games like some claim. You just get away with more stuff in KI than most of the other good fighters (not all but most).

But that wasnt the Topic - the topic was why they dont do counter breakers that often.

I respect your opinion a lot, especially when it comes to the games balance and mechanics. I’m just trying to suggest something that will address the issue at hand. It seems like consensus among pros is that counters are too risky. So, if we want to see them more often we need to make them less risky. It’s possible we will have to adjust the reward as well to keep things balanced. Or it’s possible this really isn’t a problem that’s worth addressing.

I think the “risk” of dropping a combo is underrated in this game though. Landing even a level 2 ender to your combo gives you a meaty chunk of damage plus usually a secondary benefit in terms of positioning, meter etc. Tossing that out to try and catch a breaker is pretty costly if you are wrong.

We don’t NEED to see them more often simply because the pros don’t use it often - that’d be ridiculous if we changed the entire game simply because of how the pros play. I guarantee you that you will see it a lot more often with average to slightly above average players and that’s where the biggest chunk of the player-base actually is. I know I do.

The reward? On a successful counter-breaker, you already get a full-combo punish - what could possibly be a better reward than that? 'Cause the only thing that comes to mind is an instant win, which would be absolutely broken.

I’ve highlighted your last sentence, because it’s the right solution. Why? Because it’s not a problem at all! You’re trying to fix something that’s not broken! If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

No, it’s not risky at all, so long as it’s done on purpose (sans counter-breaker). The reason for this is because the offense is the 1 largely in control of the situation - it’s the way the game was designed. Everything the defender is doing is in response to what the offense is doing (since they have to get a proper read and react or get lucky with a guess).

Now, if they mess up the combo and drop it by accident, or like I’ve highlighted in your last sentence, they drop the combo due to a failed counter-breaker - then yes, it is risky because that is something the offense didn’t expect to happen (with the former situation of accidentally dropping the combo) or is built into the game by design (as with the latter, when they fail the counter-breaker).

Part 1. Fair enough, although I was suggesting decreasing the reward for a counter breaker, not increasing it.

Part 2. There’s a difference between risk and cost, and it’s m fault for confusing you by saying “risk” when referring to dropping Enders when I really meant cost. Maybe this matters only to me because I do a lot of risk assessment, but something can be costly but not risky. A safe counter breaker potentially costs you the damage and benefits of an ender, but wouldn’t risk getting you opened up for a combo. My experience with this comes from S1 Glacius who had a safe counter breaker at range. People used it a lot more than average and everyone complained - but I thought it was okay. His ranged combos aren’t that high damage and dropping the ender decreases it even further. But they nerfed it and for certain you see a lot fewer counters in shatter combos now (remember, Glacius has no ranged manuals so it’s easy to read his shatter ADs). I almost always do short shatter combos as a result and I rarely try to counter (Glacius flying through the air is a pretty good que for the other guy to stop trying to break…).

Surprisingly, I learned the lesson about how important maximizing combo damage is playing Virtua Fighter. I realized I was winning the neutral more often than my opponents but not capitalizing by maximizing my damage with each opening. When I finally labbed it up a bit and got a few better juggles in my game I started to win those matches. This is true of most games, and why we see so much of the same combo repeated over and over. Except for KI, it never makes sense not to do the best one that you can do. But even in KI if you aren’t getting the damage from Enders you are going to be at a serious disadvantage.

1 Like

Precisely, I haven’t seen many spam in online matches either and only time its happened is when Jagos get heir instinct meter up, but that’s only temporary.
Something online players are. notorious for in Mortal Kombat 9 and X (first hand experience) SFIV (Correct me on that) and of course, Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Well… maybe. Or we need to do a proper risk assessment (like I did in that other thread) for more than just the one situation. A lot of players are good at KI, but I’m not sure all of them are good at risk assessment.

Basically, pros not using a strategy is not a good enough reason for me to think the strategy is bad… pro players have been wrong about the best strategy in a lot of fighting games, to varying degrees, for varying amounts of time, including years. I need to hear why they think a strategy is bad, and if they say “it’s too risky”, then I need proof of that, not just a hand-wavy “I think it is”. Under the heat of the moment, a lot of things “feel” like bad ideas that actually aren’t, and in a game that is largely about optimizing long-term rewards and trying to shrug off short-term variance, I need a more convincing argument than a feeling, especially since KI is a game that elicits a lot of emotion that is capable of clouding judgment.

Again, maybe… but without numbers, how sure can we be of this? Most level 2 combos are in the mid-20% range, while most counter breaker combos are in the 55%+ range (and, presumably, the same or an even greater secondary benefit). There may be times when the meter/positioning are extremely important… for example, if Aganos doesn’t have a chunk, he would much rather have 1 chunk and 15% damage 90% of the time than have 4 chunks and 45% damage 30% of the time and the other 70% of the time he’s on his back with no chunks. But that risk assessment changes with a lot of factors… if I’m 90% sure you’re going to break here, then suddenly 4 chunks 90% of the time sounds pretty good and I can probably live with trying to defend myself and taking a bit of auxiliary damage the other 10%. In fact, I might even be willing to bet my entire life bar on a 90% thing (assuming, if I whiff a counter breaker as Aganos and I’m wrong, I might not recover from the knockdown with 0 chunks before losing my whole life bar), because having 4 chunks means I will probably take YOUR life bar, so it’s kind of an “even money” bet and I’ll take the 90% side on that any day. If I have one chunk already (so a combo break is less devastating), that also changes my assessment, etc.

When people say stuff is risky, I can accept that, because fighting games are all about risk. But I just want them to back up their opinion with numbers, rather than feelings, that’s all.

People tend to want “sure things” in life… I’m one of them! That’s why counter breakers feel like a wrong idea to a lot of players, because they are giving up a combo, a “sure thing” (except it kind of isn’t in KI), for a chance at something better. But it’s impossible in fighting games to put yourself in 100% “sure thing” situations all the time, no matter how much players want to resist it. Once players make peace with the fact that good ideas can sometimes be the wrong decision in the short term, then we can start to find the real best strategies.

(In fact, I read an interesting article the other day on risk assessment, where people are notorious for making poorer decisions if they have to give up something based on a decision THEY made, rather than something that was presented to them, all other factors being equal. It’s a possible explanation for why some people can’t accept the solution to the Monty Hall problem… they think THEY made the choice of the door, so as long as they keep with their original decision, they can accept the times they fail because they would hate to go against their gut feeling. But if someone chose the door FOR them, and then asked them if they wanted to switch, suddenly it becomes easier for some people to give up control there. There might be a bit of that in play here, as people hate to give up an opening THEY earned, instead of the “playing with house money” philosophy. Don’t know if I wrote this last paragraph down in a way that makes sense but I find it interesting.)

1 Like

Agreed! the old system was way to hard to execute! I cant even do a combo breaker in KI2!!!
In KI 1 you have to use the breaker move strength 1 button lower than the attack
In Ki 2 you have to break opposite the attack. Kick breaks punch

Did you know in KI2 you can break Enders? But if you do the Ender in slow motion (hold and release the button) they can not be broken

way to technical

2 Likes