Why are people so sensitive about Ultras?

@WrathOfFulgore said this the best.

1 Like

In Mortal Kombat, fatalities are around 15 seconds. If NRS made fatalities 4 times longer, people would RIOT. Nobody would be saying “hey! Fatalities are a part of MK, so if you don’t like the new “quad fatalities”, you dont like a part of MK identity” No. Thats not disliking fatalities, thays just having a sense if good game design.

(Ultras can go over a minute in KI, so the equivalent of 4 Mortal Kombat fatalities- hence my example)

At one point a difference of quantity becomes a difference of type altogether. KI3 ultras are NOT the Ultras that were in the previous 2 games. They are not the staple of the series previous Ultras were, they’re basically a overblown-to-the-point-of-parady mockery of what they once were.

5 Likes

No, I think they understand it perfectly well. But they are the type of people who, for whatever reason, have nothing else in their life to bring them joy except trying to aggravate other people and then acting shocked that people are aggravated. And watch - the same two people on here barking about their right to a reward in the form of a double ultra combo are going to take a run at me all hot and bothered for insulting them.

These discussions are played out. Ultra’s are super cool. Hanging out with your friends styling ultras on each other is awesome. Going into ranked matches and hitting triple ultras just to bug your opponent is
 sad. If someone wastes his own time doing multiple ultras after a victory I just assume he doesn’t win much and is therefore not in a hurry to move on to his next defeat.

But the biggest lesson here is that we need something in the form of news to talk about because people are yet again wasting their time in one of these threads.

3 Likes

Eh
not so much.

Of course that’s assuming you’re indirectly talking about me within those “2 people”
if not, well, I can’t speak for them.

No, I wasn’t referring to you. I hadn’t noticed you were even in here.

EDIT: I read your posts and I don’t see you saying anything remotely like “an Ultra is my reward for winning.” I see a lot of good posts that I agree with, especially the one about how we have had this conversation a trillion times.

4 Likes

Maybe there can be a switch like combo assist and ultra enders where the shy player can just see a one hit ultra and the winner at home can continue their 1,400 hit ultra and it just resets back to the selecf screen for the loser who can’t handle a long ultra

I think we are almost coming to a full circle.

I think this thread ran its course before it began. People came and posted their reasoning, and made it basically clear that their minds weren’t going anywhere.
It was the same people saying the same things they always say. “It’s a waste of time” says one, “They’re a reward for Gittin Gud” says another.
And then both of them turn to each other and say:

That’s not to say that people on either side aren’t reasonable; most of them are pretty cool headed posters. But this is one of those topics like religion or politics where normally pleasant people refuse to take their heads out of the sand, and it basically becomes a 2 groups of people hurling hyperbole and admonishing all but absolutism. If it doesn’t favor their side, they scoff it away with sarcasm.

This isn’t the first thread of its kind, and it certainly won’t be the last. If history is any indication, discussion of this topic will continue to go nowhere just like it always has.

2 Likes

But
but
the musical number.

Ahem

3 Likes

Well who else are you supposed to impress? some random stranger?

Well, it seems people get sensitive with everything

This is the part where I say

“WELCOME TO THE MODERN AGE BABY!!!”

1 Like

That’s still and forever will be my favorite scene from that movie lol.

1 Like

@xSkeletalx I think we are done here.

I would like to say once again before the thread closes, assuming that’s its fate, that I personally feel like a good middle-ground solution (maybe not appealing to all, but then again what is?) would be to limit Ultras to 1 max in ranked and give free reign to maximum Ultra goodness everywhere else in the game
possibly with a toggle for exhibition & lobbies. That way competitive players would get to get on with their fights and casuals can try for triple/quad/ whatever to their hearts’ content
go nuts & have fun with it.

Nah, just let them do what they want. It’s a good test of patience. Hey, worst case scenario they go do something for a minute or two.

Hey maybe even get some exercise in.

Season 3 the complaining is Ultra’s
Season 2 the complaining was taunting and t-bagging
Season 1 the complaining was unbreakables and unblockables

The difference between Season 1-3? Larger community. What happens in large communities? What we remember when the game was small, the close nit KI Fans that got it first before it grew, had our own little sanctuary. We fixed the game and enjoyed the company. Now the game is relatively fixed, the new part now is the larger community, so now people are trying to fix that. The problem with fixing a variable that is outside of the game, is that you can’t. It’s rare to see a CoD match or Halo match without T-Bagging or Camping power weapons. As someone said before, I think the main reason behind the arguments is people don’t like either A: They lost or B: They don’t feel respected. It’s an online game over the internet. You have to expect that people will go far above and beyond what they would in person because there is no fear of lashback. Really, all you can do is send them a hateful message which can be blocked, or yell at them through the mic which can be muted. I just accept that, if I lose I’ll either get no ultra, a small ultra or a large ultra. I’m not going to let a game that I enjoy feel like a waste of time. If it was a waste of time, you wouldn’t come back time and time again. There is a reason no one goes back to play Elmo’s Letter Adventure even if they loved it when they were 3. Shouldn’t say no one
 Someone might have

I’ve come across matches where I play patient, I punish mistakes, and take advantage of having a higher knowledge of the game rather than mashing buttons. I’ve been told I play like a B**** or a P**** when I do that. If people online don’t have the will to get better, the salt will flow time and time again. When I was a kid, we always had fun playing everything, there was always that 1 angry gamer who was always mad at everything that happened. Now that the globe is connected with gaming, that 1 angry kid who people tolerated because it meant having 4 players instead of 3, is now readily available at any time to be your next opponent. Such is the life of online games. I usually keep my mic unplugged, unless I come across someone cool. Then I chit chat and spread knowledge, help them get better, make new friends sometimes. That’s what should happen. Doesn’t happen enough.

8 Likes

Usually, I believe people earn ultras on me but, only after the 2nd win. Or if I get bodied. I usually get annoyed if it’s a triple ultra, gets a bit long at that point.

But hey it’s all good. Tis the game.

2 Likes

It’s quicker to Alt F4 and reopen the game again on PC than wait through an ultra so once I realise someone isn’t planning to cancel their ultra I just do that.

1 Like