Why are people so sensitive about Ultras?

I just don’t get why certain forum members are complaining about something that’s made Killer Instinct famous for years.

I mean really, now we’re complaining about the CPU doing Ultras?!
(https://forums.ultra-combo.com/t/can-the-cpu-not-do-full-ultras-please/15780/7)

What happened to dealing with stuff like that and moving forward?

What happened to understanding that, if you lost then you should practice more?

What happened to just accepting that Ultra Combos are actually fun to watch?

You lost to the CPU and you got Ultra’d. Big deal. The players can do a lot worse.

Well?

8 Likes

Because it’s a waste of everybody’s time?

Can you give me an actual reason about how doing full/double/triple ultra at every chance actually improves the gameplay?

8 Likes

It’s not about improving gameplay. It’s about having fun.

If it’s that much of a waste of your time then Killer Instinct might not be for you.

11 Likes

They don’t really bother me all that much, but I do agree that they are no longer fun or enjoyable to watch once you have seen them many times and sometimes you just want to get on to the next match.

But, they are apart of them game and if you lose the other player earns the right to Ultra or not just like with MK fatalities so try not to lose if you hate them so much lol

4 Likes

Just do what I do for ultras.

Ultra > Instinct Cancel Immediately > Sweep > Stay Crouching

4 Likes

No “Ostrich custom Ultra” with Spinal then

Kappa

EDIT: LOL I typed Orchid instead of Ostrich XD

3 Likes

Speak for yourself man I enjoy doing multiple ultras and like watching what kool combos ppl come up with when they ultra me so it’s not wasting my time it’s fun

4 Likes

the funny thing is there would be the same complaints if the ultras were like the older games, where you actually have more input

1 Like

Exactly.

2 Likes

Except no one does new combos, the optimal ultra is found on week one and everyone just repeats it.

1 Like

I got blasted by direct message on xbox the other day by someone becasue I did 1 ulltra in our exhibition set. Which I only did after he did the Tb dance after the 1st life bar.

Oh he was upset…said save it for Ranked and blah blah blah. Oh and Im a scrub and a boy. lol

1 Like

Well after almost 3 years of gameplay I still enjoy watching and performing ultras and I’m talking about the kool stylish combos from poping instinct before the ultras done and continuing the combo into another ultra u know having my own style of combos beating that a** lol

I don’t feel like the game, or a player that beats me, ever earns the right to waste my time.

If the game’s outcome has been decided, and it takes longer than a few seconds to get to the next match, then I have a right to be annoyed.

16 Likes

What happens if you take the Blue Shell out of Mario Kart? Fatalities out of Mortal Kombat? Star steal and boards out of Mario Party? Bland and boring is what you get. I love ultra’s and will always full Ultra if I win. I practiced, lost a bunch and improved, so I can choose how I end it. Take the solo out of Free Bird because it is a waste of time, take all of the back story out of deadpool and just give me the final battle because the rest is a waste of time. You can always rage quit the match, might get reported for it but that’s always an option. If your time is soo invaluable that you feel the right to demand a person you don’t know cater to your wishes of not ultra comboing you, you probably shouldn’t play video games.

4 Likes

My view of Ultras is this. If you end the ultra, good job. Great sportsmanship and cares about time. If you full Ultra, alright, it is flashy and looks cool with the stage getting destroyed. If you stage ultra, you are a lucky person for being at the right spot. If you double/triple ultra, you make people cry. If you do double and triple ultras and taunt/tbag, you are a douche and people will hate you.

10 Likes

So game mechanics and stories are on the same level as needlesly long animations. Okay then. And your mk example doesn’t even work, when was the last time you saw an mk player get even as far as the “finish them.”

You don’t see mkx players fataliying after every game.

Ultra’s like spinal’s and jago’s are quick and done with. Double and triple ultra’s however serve no purpose other than wasting time and trying to gloat and be a bad sport. Why do you think that they removed gargos’s quad ultra?

I’ve still yet to see a justification for ultraing as much as possible other than “they’re in the game.” Fatalaties are in mk, doesn’t mean people do them every chance they get to gloat and be a poor sport.

2 Likes

Because it’s annoying, and apart from some stylish enders they are very easy to perform. I wasn’t that annoyed by old KIs ulttras though. I don’t know, it’s like executing everybody when playing Gears. Nobody is doing it all the time for what I said before.

2 Likes

IMO you’re being a poor sport by complaining about losing and getting ultraed Multiple times I understand where you’re coming from wanting to move onto the next match but this is my reward for winning the match and if you have to sit there less than a minute for me to complete my reward then it is what it is.

2 Likes

People fatality in MKX all the time, if you specifically play like a competitive person against a competitive person, you won’t see many, pm pro players for matches, don’t play casuals if you don’t want to get ultra’d or see a fatality.

I really don’t see how it is a different argument. Take the meat/filler out so you get only the climax part you want. You don’t wan’t ultra’s, you just want matches bam bam bam. Ultras are the filler, matches are the climax.

I enjoy Ultra’s, they look cool, sound cool, and it is a nice payoff for winning. You can skip them all you want, that is your decision, but your time isn’t worth sacrificing my enjoyment for. For the very few people whining about ultra’s, take these out because it is an inconvenience for me, what makes you so entitled? Why is your time so much more valuable that the rest of us cannot enjoy the game as it was made?

4 Likes

Ultras are only the climax when you do it once. The longer they go on the less it is a cartharsis since both are reeling from whatever might’ve happened and just one player trying ti annoy the other by wasting time. Thats why i say quick and to the point ultra’s like jago’s and spinal’s are the best ones. Hell even some longer ones are fine once. I’m fairly certain anybody would get annoyed when they can’t do anything and just get to watch the same canned animation 2/3 times in a row.