Why are People hating on Shadow Orchid!?

But shadow Jago moves are almost all different and he played quite different fly due to that. He is a clone in look and some normals but I don’t consider look as a clone. Just moves. Just like if twins each learned a different martial art.or one trained in guns and another in knives. They aren’t doing the same thing. As long as shadow orchid has > 75% unique moves, shouldn’t she really be considered a unique character?

I do want a love craftian character though. I hope we get one in season 4 :slight_smile:

1 Like

No.

I will put you the example of Evil Ryu and Ryu.

Evil Ryu can’t exist without Ryu. They are both the same individual. Evil Ryu is not the personification of the dark hadou: he is Ryu consumed by it

Omen is unique because he is a parasite being created by Gargos to possess Jago.

If you see in a vacuum this four characters (Evil Ryu, Ryu, Jago and Omen), you could totally say, without knowing them, that Evil Ryu and Ryu are the same person, while Omen and Jago aren’t.

Although Omen is based (gameplay wise) in Jago, he is UNIQUE. Has a UNIQUE lore, motivations, gameplay and appearance.

Ryu and evil Ryu share normals, specials, lore,appearance… he(evil Ryu) is NOT unique

Shago and Jago fall in the same category. Shago is different from Jago gameplay wise(although reminiscent),but he is NOT unique in terms of lore. He is very reminiscent in terms of visuals too.

Shorchid probably falls in Shago category.

I prefer a character like Omen than a character like Shago.

I prefer something like Kilgore than someone like Shorchid.

Anyway, I prefer an independent character (Hisako, Aganos, Kan-Ra) than remix. But I would be very happy with any remix being an independent character, not a “reimaginated” one

3 Likes

OK I get that from a lore pov
I just care bout the moves they have. Like scorpion and Sub zero look alike but moves and play are very different. Always have been.

I get your idea though.

Sanjay

I think they’d do something great with shadow orchid. Both design wise and gameplay. I’m such a fan of how shadow jago looks. Wouldn’t be surprised if they give her an ultimate too. I’m all for it personally.

1 Like

That’s why she WON THE POLL.

they want to forget that. Lol

2 Likes

I hate to say it, but it really does seem like a lot of forum regulars are a little out-of-touch with the idea of “community” - I mean, they didn’t just poll us, y’all.

The link to the survey got around, I think it was even on the in-game news feed for a few days.

Shorchid is very unpopular w/ the forum regulars, but apparently ONLY w/ forum regulars.

4 Likes

I think the best thing they can do to appeal to both people that want a shadow orchid and people that don’t is to just make shadow orchid and Alt Costume. Only thing is that when you pick that alt costume it has different effects similar to OG Shago

1 Like

Simple, because she’s probably going to make snarling burping noises in her outro.

IG has a pretty good track record of keeping every character unique and inspired so this argument is kind of dead in the water. KilGore should be another good example of this.

One thing I will say is that hardly anyone plays Orchid as it is which is probably why people would love to see another incarnation of her to give people another chance to be interested.

3 Likes

The real question is, why certain people want Shadow Orchid.

5 Likes

I said the theme is boring, not what IG could do with it.

I’m sure they could make 100 shadow characters that were awesome but that doesn’t mean having 100 shadow characters wouldn’t be incredibly lame.

Having a clone isn’t the issue, if she had an interesting theme we’d be all about it. A feline tiger woman with Orchid’s moves? Hell yes. A shadow clone that’s been done before? Hell no.

The the argument is hardly dead in the water.

5 Likes

One of the more appealing aspects of KI is that all the characters contrasts each other alot aesthetically.

No rip sleeve gi guys, no cluster fuf of ninjas, just distinctly different characters through the cast.

Now we have a shago and a shorchid(sure kid)

4 Likes

I have never really liked orchids current play style, she always feels so bland. If they do have s.orchid I would like to see what IG could possibly change to make her more interesting for me at least.

Even then, human cinder got second place yet a lot of people have expressed that they don’t want him either.

I do. As long ANYTHING is taken from another character, whether it is looks or animations/moves, then I consider it a clone character. Some in a larger degree than others.
And as for moves, all his normals are copy/pasted from Jago, as is his Endokuken, just changed colour.

Is Tessen a thing I should know about it is this a typo for Tekken?

Tessen were/are Japanese combat fans. Think Kitana from MK.

Okay, to be fair I doubt the tessen fighters of yore fought anything like Kitana. But they did fight with fans.

Also, this.

I hated the idea of Shago. I didn’t really want them to waste time making the character and as far as I care about the KI plot (which isn’t far) I thought Shadow Jago was pretty lame. But when they said they were doing it I shrugged and figured I’d give it a chance. And Shago is a lot of things but he’s not “boring, uninspired and unoriginal.”

I have zero reason to think that IF (and this is still a big if) MS and IG made a Shadow Orchid she would be anything but great. So yeah, in the abstract Shorchid’s not my first choice. But if they make her I’m confident it’s because they have something in mind that is going to be worthwhile.

People need to just chill.

5 Likes

Somebody get this man a Morgan Freeman meme!

1 Like

[quote=“BigBadAndy, post:38, topic:17171”]
And Shago is a lot of things but he’s not “boring, uninspired and unoriginal.”
[/quote]If he followed several other shadow themed characters you might be singing a different tune. I think I need to reiterate this: Its not the idea of a clone that bothers us, its having a recycled clone theme that sucks.

Jago and Shago are different because Shago is a “shadow” version of Jago.
That is what makes Shago unique, his gimmick is that he’s a possessed variant of a normal fighter.

Fulgore and Kilgore and different because Kilgore is a defective, low budget version of Fulgore.
He’s unique because he’s a new spin on something we already have.

Shadow Orchid… she would undoubtedly play well, because IG are geniuses with character designs.
However rehashing the “shadow” remix theme again is “boring, uninspired and unoriginal”.
You catch my drift?

Make her a cyborg Orchid, maker her a cat woman Orchid, make her a wasp Orchid, make her a zombie Orchid, make her a harpy Orchid, make her a Naga Orchid, Make her a giant ent Orchid… Its not the premise of an Orchid remix, it’s the rehashed “shadow” theme being reused ad nauseum that bothers us.

8 Likes