Why a Shadow Lord shouldn't do a quad ultra?

I was sad at fist when they nerfed that about Gargos’ Ultra, but I can understand why they did it. I honestly don’t mind getting Ultra’d or doing them as it pretty much is in the game for a reason…that and plus you hear a sick beat while watching the character beat the crap out of the other. Not everyone feels that way though.

1 Like

What if they made it so that you couldnt activate instinct after the end of the round?

Activating instinct at the end of an ultra to start a new combo is not flashy, its just obnoxious.

If you find a cool recapture set up for AFTER the ultra, then that is FUN to look at. But instinct cancelling does NOTHING but waste time.

This change would reduce every characters “potential ultra count” by 1, and make longer ultras at least a little more interesting to watch.

1 Like

I’m here to tell you that’s wrong. I haven’t been lurking for awhile but I noticed they patched in the game for some reason that Gargos is unable to recapture anymore. Annoyed me quite so. So I took to the forums and FINALLY found a post talking about it. Gargos’ Ultra is not one of the longest. Infact it’s nowhere close. Took time out of my day to stopwatch every single ultra’s length before recapture capabilities, and this is what I got.

1. Omen - 5.57 Seconds - No Recapture
  2. Sadira - 6 Seconds - No Recapture
  3. Orchid - 6 Seconds - No Recapture
  4. Glacius - 6.36 Seconds - No Recapture
  5. Spinal - 6.50 Seconds - No Recapture
  6. Jago - 7 Seconds - No Recapture
  7. Sabrewulf - 7.03 Seconds - Recapture-able
  8. Fulgore - 7.85 Seconds - No Recapture
  9. Thunder - 8 Seconds - No Recapture
  10. Eyedol - 8.39 Seconds - Recapture-able
  11. ARIA - 8.50 Seconds - No Recapture
  12. Mira - 8.69 Seconds - Recapture-able
  13. Rash - 8.73 Seconds - Recapture-able
  14. Tusk - 9.23 Seconds - No Recapture
  15. Kan Ra - 9.29 Seconds - Recapture-able
  16. Gargos - 9.34 Seconds - Recapture-able
  17. Aganos - 9.43 Seconds - Recapture-able
  18. Riptor - 9.61 Seconds - Recapture-able
  19. Arbiter - 9.83 Seconds - Recapture-able
  20. Cinder - 9.85 Seconds - Recapture-able
  21. General RAAM - 10 Seconds - No Recapture
  22. TJ Combo - 10.44 Seconds - Recapture-able
  23. Hisako - 10.54 Seconds - Recapture-able
  24. Shago - 10.87 Seconds - Recapture-able
  25. Kim Wu - 12 Seconds - No Recapture
  26. Maya - 12.42 Seconds - Recapture-able

Gargos not only isn’t one of the longest out of the 26 character roster, but he places 11th in that category. It might even be less, because I included the time it takes for him to fall to the ground in order to recapture as well, just to add to the time count. And what place does he rank when paired up with characters who are only able to recapture?

1. Sabrewulf - 7.03 Seconds - Recapture-able
  2. Eyedol - 8.39 Seconds - Recapture-able
  3. Mira - 8.69 Seconds - Recapture-able
  4. Rash - 8.73 Seconds - Recapture-able
  5. Kan Ra - 9.29 Seconds - Recapture-able
  6. Gargos - 9.34 Seconds - Recapture-able
  7. Aganos - 9.43 Seconds - Recapture-able
  8. Riptor - 9.61 Seconds - Recapture-able
  9. Arbiter - 9.83 Seconds - Recapture-able
  10. Cinder - 9.85 Seconds - Recapture-able
  11. TJ Combo - 10.44 Seconds - Recapture-able
  12. Hisako - 10.54 Seconds - Recapture-able
  13. Shago - 10.87 Seconds - Recapture-able
  14. Maya - 12.42 Seconds - Recapture-able

That’s right, 9th place. Out of all recapture-able characters Gargos places 9th in length for his ultra animation, Aganos narrowly taking 8th from him. Which means if he got his recapture taken away, what’s stopping the other 8 from getting theirs taken away? Nothing, cause it was a pointless nerf and undeserving, considering characters with longer ultras are capable of griefing as well.

tl;dr Nerf justification is a farce, #BringBackGargosQuad

What you’re forgetting is that 9.34 second ultra is combined with a number of shadow moves from meter gain during ultra, KV reset from instinct activation, and long animations on his shadow moves as well as his in between ultra attempts where he re-enters the traditional combo system, and that KV penalty doesn’t seem to apply to his recapture attempts either, insuring that the second recapture was practically guaranteed, whereas many of the characters listed with recapture-able have certain KV limit rules placed on their recaptures, causing blowout of their combos. If Cinder’s KV is too high, his crossfire recap will cause blowout instead of a recap. Gargos however breaks this rule, and when he had it during ultra, he could use it and be in high excess of the KV meter rules and still land it. Gargos is also one of few characters that could reliably hit quad ultra everytime and ruin game flow.

Few characters can hit quad ultra (or higher) reliably, and most of them have conditions on which they can use their recapture moves, and it impacts the time and the skill level needed to use them.

You combine everything of Gargos into one big long post game celebration, and yes, he has the potential for the most unnecessarily long ultra combo finishes ever. Add to that everyone who used him abused this, even in best of 3 matches where ultra combos in the first win of 2, so it was apparently necessary to do this twice in a single best of 3 contest, then yes, it was an epidemic that needed to be stopped. And if you still feel differently, I would suggest watching someone use Hisako’s ultra infinite and remind yourself, “would I like someone to hold up my match for THAT long if they got me in that? Or would I just like to keep on playing?”

1 Like

Your measure is a bit dishonest, you should plot those data points if you want to see how close Gargos is to the max vs the min. He looks middle of the pack but 9.3 seconds is a lot closer to the max (12 seconds) than it is to the min (5.5 seconds).

Also, I think you’re measuring the wrong thing. Gargos’s quad ultra is easily the longest (reliable to execute) ultra sequence in the game when you count all the extensions he does and the length of his shadow moves and such. That doesn’t come through in just a raw measure of the ultra animation.

Frankly I can’t believe there are people who think most/every fight ending with a 90 second unskippable cutscene is a good thing. It’s one of the most obnoxious parts of the entire KI experience. I like watching stylish ultras in combo videos on youtube, so they shouldn’t remove the ability for the characters to perform them, but they should really find a way to reduce it in ranked matches.

4 Likes

How is it dishonest when i’m plotting out what I saw? Dishonesty means i’m lying and i’m not, you’re confusing it with the possibility of ignorance which is way more likely.

Regardless, if we’re counting in Shadow moves as well, Aganos feels equal to the amount of time it takes for that recapture using his shadow rock fall as it is to Gargos’ teleport burst.

If people are so sore about a Gargos quad being a thing why even have quads to begin with? Or “90 second unskippable cutscenes” as well. Clearly it’s either give it back to Gargos or remove Quad capabilities from everyone.

1 Like

Dishonest probably the wrong word, sorry. I just mean, your data doesn’t paint the full picture.

Remove it from everyone is the obvious choice IMO. But they started with Gargos because the insane length of his really exacerbated the problem.

1 Like

That’s not a nerf. Nothing about gargos is worse now that he can’t spend the length of a match jacking himself off if he gets a win.

1 Like

Well I mean if they did that then it’s fair game. I wouldn’t be as sore as I am about it. It just feels like an unjustified takeaway for something that’s been a thing for years with other characters.

Then what justifies other characters jacking themselves off with a quad?

Nothing. It should be removed from the game entirely. Double ultras, quad ultras, I don’t even like seeing single ultras, but since there are people that DO I’ll settle for all quads going.

1 Like

That’s fair. If they do that in the future then it’ll be fine. But I just don’t see the sense in taking it away from one character if they’ll let the others slide away with it. Single and doubles though will never fade lol.

He was one of two characters that got any non-bugfix adjustments at all in 3.3.1. Plenty more could change in 3.4.

From a different thread…

1 Like

it concerns me because if somehow the devs decide to bring ultimates to the game people might get mad as some are overreacting and taking it with a grain of salt once they took a triple ultra.
I can see people asking to remove them from the game. People confounds KI w/ SF buf they’re very different. KI has finishers and perhaps deadly executions are coming this way for the game. Haters are everywere but when they are teabagged or when a jumbo ultra happens against them they grow insane. Oh my these corny feelings… It’s just sad how they don’t understand. After all its just a game.

1 Like

It’s not about feeling offended that my opponent would dare mock me with teabagging or taunting or an ultra or whatever. That’s stupid. It’s a matter of not wasting my time. I don’t play this game in short sessions, I want to play FT20s or FT30s or FT50s with people and if they’re doing ultras it makes the experience a pain because so much time is being wasted between matches.

I get that it’s just a game. I want to play the game, not watch it. There’s nothing more frustrating than coming across a good player that still hasn’t gotten over doing ultras.

1 Like

I still wish Gargos was able to at least recapture once to do a third Ultra like some of the characters in the cast.

Aside from all person to person feelings, it’s a blast to do against the CPU with your stereo cranked up.

2 Likes

I want ultimate kyle ai to extend their ultra combos to their maximum, plus combos overall.

1 Like

omg. Please let Gargos do his recapture at least on off-line.

Well I did find a Gargos Sabrewulf ultra stun :slight_smile: