Which Characters have the Easiest Time Against Eyedol, and What do You Do with them to Win?

Use both Meteors and Bolt-Strike or Warrior’s F+HP hit him after Liquidize.

Just trust me when I say Mage is a complete non-issue for Glacius.

In near. Yes.
In distance. Nope.

Glacius’s shadow Shatter still can attack his Tele-Strike. Of course.

1 Like

I think Aganos does alright. He can use chunk armor to defeat warrior and his jumping short-stop natural disaster roll to get in and over on the mage’s low lightning strike since it’s so slow.

I imagine Aganos gets dunked like no other character by Warrior Eyedol. No hope of ever chunking up and good luck contesting jump fierce + command grab mixups. Eyedol’s footsies can probably handle Aganos’s ranged pokes better than most other characters too, so I would imagine there is no range he is comfortable standing.

EDIT - After testing in training, it does seem like Aganos has to guess anti-air with back+LP to beat early jump fierce. He can successfully contest it if he’s early enough, but it’s really hard to do on reaction. If you block even a single one, you’re in trouble. From range, Eyedol has to block st.HP crouching, which usually is a death knell for characters in footsies, but yeah… I think jump fierce just solves all the problems here. If Aganos is playing slightly cautiously, he has to watch out for fwd+MP overhead, which outranges cr.HK and st.MP. The buttons seem to interact poorly for Aganos, and he doesn’t get a combo off ranged pokes without really good hit confirm reactions or a guess.

If Aganos is in block stun from jump fierce, he has to watch out for frame traps with the amazing +4 on block cr.MP that starts up in 6f, overhead, low xx run cancel, and command grab stuff without any good reversals. Or just another jump fierce which acts as a semi-instant overhead and keeps him at least +5 on block. If you want out, you have to make a huge guess with pre-emptive anti-air for like 2% damage (and if you’re wrong you get frame trapped into a combo).

1 Like

How about we wait for Eyedol to get patched first lol

1 Like

As a Gargos main, I feel this is a bad MU in favor of Eyedol. Warrior is quick enough to get into Gargos unconforable zone once he breaks though the zoning, and Eyedol has plenty of options in mage once he gets out and can “out-zone” Gargos.

Hmmmmmmm

While that’s all true, Aganos doesn’t have to worry about that stupid j.HP while he has armor, since it only hits once. He can just crouch block and catch the landing frames every time. Eyedol’s overhead is also conveniently not a heavy button, so there’s leniency in blocking that as well. It’s also worth mentioning that b+LP hits Eyedol while he’s standing (which combos into Pulverize), so you can accidentally poke him out of something while trying to anti-air.

Against Mage, he can just sit in place to block the lightning, react block the meteors, and absorb + punish the teleport every time. Also, the reaction window for a full screen Shadow Ruin is pretty wide for Eyedol’s zoning. I think in general, it’s very much focused on sitting back and punishing aggressiveness, especially since Aganos’ already weak oki is weaker against Eyedol’s throw range.

So yeah, I see it as the classic “Aganos has the advantage, until he makes 1-2 mistakes, then it immediately goes downhill”.

3 Likes

@Dayv0
I could see Shago, just because he gains meter so quickly and Shadow Counter takes advantage of Eyedol’s love of block strings.

@SonicDolphin117

How about we wait for Eyedol to get patched first lol

They’re just going to nerf jHP, right? And even then, Keits on Twitter said that it would still be strong post-nerf, just “not as strong.” The nerf might make cheese riskier, but Eyedol’s standard game plan is still going to be terrifying.

For what it’s worth, I got tired of getting bodied by Gargos as RAAM, and Eyedol seems ridiculous right now, so yesterday I made the switch. First match, my level three Eyedol vs. a level 46 Gargos, and I went 2-0 supreme victory in both.

My inner RAAM felt vindicated. I didn’t even know what I was doing with Eyedol and Gargos couldn’t do anything. Will wait for more matches to make sure I wasn’t just playing against an unfamiliar Gargos.

After the next patch should be interesting to see what gets fixed.

I disagree, having played the matchup at least 2 or 3 times. It’s the other way round.

Cool man, Right now I’m grinding my Juri in SFV, but sometime this weekend lets play. Your Eyedol should be in good shape by then :slight_smile:

I play Aria and have no idea what to do versus Eyedol :frowning:

Not for long! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

To see what I could learn, I started playing Eyedol exclusively a few days ago. I obviously don’t know all, yet, but I’ve noticed that a good Sabrewulf can be really tough for Eyedol. In particular, Wulf’s ability to meaty from either side at a moment’s notice is really powerful. Eyedol’s wakeup is a DP, meaning a whiff puts Eyedold right aboard the pain train. Also painful is inputting the wakeup command as Wulf passes over you. That means the smash move comes out, which has a 10-frame startup. Ay caramba.

His juggle/recapture BS is also pretty easy to break. If he jumps, break heavies (he’ll likely jHP to ground bounce you–otherwise the juggle is really hard to maintain), the grounded overhead needs mediums, and a grounded DP LIKELY means heavies, but it could mean mediums. Medium DP continues the juggle, so it means Eyedol has more work to do. Heavy DP recaptures. There’s no followup to a light DP, so if he locks you out with light, you’ll be back on your feet in a second, anyway. An opponent who consistently breaks Eyedol will make Eyedol very sad. He needs long combos in order to get anywhere near respectable damage.

Mage form is pitiful up close, and I’ve noticed some pretty severe weaknesses to its ranged game. Jago’s windkick will avoid his ground lightning, it’s pretty tough to hit with air lightning, and it’s impossible to react with heavy lightning. Sabrewulf tends to have an easy time running through meteors, unless Eyedol is really good at reading him and can put meteors where he’s going to be when he’s running. However, b.MP is a great tool to stop both rapid advances, if you can predict the advance through the move’s long startup.

1 Like

Actually, no - it’s really rather quite serviceable. Why? Because he still has a lot of really good normals - his standing and crouching light punch and his standing and crouching light and medium kicks, for example - they come out quite fast and can easily open someone up close for a combo, using both mid and low attacks… His standing medium punch during mage stance also has a deceptive range that can also easily open you up when you least expect it.

“Pitiful” is relative, I know :slight_smile: Compared to much of the rest of the cast, Mage is pitiful up close. Light punch is a 5-frame chain move, sure. But it’s -1 on block. If someone is the kind of character who wants to get in his face, you can bet they have something better than that light punch to throw at him–or a means around that standing/crouching light punch. RAAM’s sLP only has 4 frames of startup and is +2 on block, for example. Sabrewulf can dash through mage and make him whiff. Medium kicks come out in 7 frames. Again, someone who is in his face can reliably beat that.

Standing medium punch is good at keeping people away. So are b.MP and sHP. They are effectively ranged specials, because their purposes are keeping the opponent at range. They’re way too slow to go toe-to-toe with someone who is in his face.

Mage also has no wakeup and all of his specials are slow. I also don’t think he has a reversal, but maybe his magic stomp works for that. His jMP and jHP also serve to create distance, not maintain a close range advantage. He has a pitiful kit at close range. That’s why he has warrior head.

You forgot to mention his s.LK, which has only 4 frames of startup and is deceptive because the animation is so subtle, they can practically miss it (and it looks like a low, but isn’t). His c.LK is only 5 frames and actually does hit low. These are what I recommend you use to open people up in close range while in mage stance.