What kinds of new mechanics and character types should we see in season 3?

You mean like Cinder?

i mean no air combos! Thnx.

I would like to see a character that has damaging combo breakers, maybe depending on the combo level.

For example:
Level 1 - 3% damage
Level 2 - 6% damage
Level 3 - 10% damage
Level 4 - 15% damage

Of course those numbers are up for debate. I think it adds a lot of risk/reward playing against such a character. Maybe he/she even has away to inflict a small bit of potential damage to him/herself so that the opponentā€™s combo level starts out higher when he/she gets attacked. However donā€™t let his/her game plan revolve around that mechanic because I can imagine that many people will get salty when they got killed by a combo breaker over and over again. It should just be a way to do a little more damage and encourage the opponent to be less predictable with combos.

No to damaging combo breakers. You shouldnā€™t get punished for doing a combo.

2 Likes

In general I agree. I still think this is an interesting idea for a single character because fighting against him/her makes you think more about your own offense. Aganos, Hisako and Cinder all do that in different ways. Like I said maybe the numbers I chose were too high but Iā€™m sure Keits and the others would figure out a proper balance. Also there are already characters that can turn a combo breaker into damage via recapture, right?

Yeah with an instinct cancel, but that something that should be taken out too imo. Especially because it highly favors Jago and Sabrewulf. (Massive health gain/ Damaging juggles that can be cashes out)

I hope they bring back secret ā€œ5th Endersā€ like KI2 had. And doing all the enders extend Ultra combos.

Air auto-doubles are cool, but I would rather them be character specific. Characters like Sadira, ARIA (flight mode), Cinder, Maya (maybe), Omen, Gargos should only have it; just like how only some characters have recaptures.

I donā€™t mind all-out super moves in KI. Something that depletes all Shadow Meter (and maybe also Instinct meter to raise the stakes). This new move can double as Ultimates if hit while in Danger life. Just make sure the damage isnā€™t too crazy (about 40-50% in no combo, and scaled to 20-30% in a combo.)

I agree with the background fading to black for Ultimates if thereā€™s a technical issue with doing them on every stage. Just make sure the transitions are professional & make the cinematics so good that youā€™re not even paying attention to the magic trick.

New character mechanics idea:
A ā€œFrankensteinā€ character that can drop parts of his body, loosing damage output, but gaining speed and setups ā€œanimatingā€ his body parts(example: drops an arm midscreen, his punches are faster but weaker, even his auto-doubles, and if the rival passes nearby the arm, he could animate it to grab him, similar to Kan-Ra traps). A hulking force when fully assembled, a fast hit and run without some parts of his body, being your decision what style do you need. Everything can change: walk speed, damage output, jump arc, movesetā€¦

Not necessary a Frankenstein zombie, he could be some short of Hydra that drops his tails or heads, not being anthropomorphic, fitting the ā€œbeastā€ character that Sabrewulf and Riptor covered in the other seasons

2 Likes

Life drain, power boost, defense boost. Something akin to Kotal Khan or what Kan Ra was supposed to be (his concept had him make his opponents do less damage). Killer Instinct already has most of the fighting game character arch types.

I want a wrestler so bad in KI. A throw tactician.

He(or She?) can be TJ Combos Rival or something. Maybe he wants revenge for TJ cheating his win against him in the past.

He should have throw auto-doubles. A combination of submission breaks, suplexes, & powerbombs, like King in Tekken except faster animations and more simple to do (one button presses like regular autos)

A special trait the wrestler can have is that if he tech-throws your throw attempt, instead of the break away animation, he reverses you into his own throw (that can sequence into throw auto-doubles)

Make it happen MS/IG!

2 Likes

How about a character that canā€™t fall victim to a HKD? Some sort of super agile character, really fast, but hits soft.

Throw tech idea is bad imo. Teching is supposed to reset to neutral. Doesnā€™t make sense to reward the player that threw second.

The point is that it rewards him if he techs throw, so donā€™t attempt to throw him all the time. Lol

When the rest of the cast techs a throw = neutral reset

When the wrestler techs a throw = He gets the opportunity to inflict damage instead of himself being thrown.

Opponents can counter this by not being predictable with throws, or combo breaking whatever auto-double grab he does.

Characters like Cinder & Aganos bend the rules of the game (flame fanning, multiple layers of armor), so you have to play differently to overcome their rule bending. This is no different.

The throw tech reversal is a cool idea, but itā€™s taking a mechanic that was synchronous (both characters get reset) and making it asynchronous (one player wins). You can do that but you need to balance it out - for example making a whiff a huge deal or not allowing the character to have a normal throw, only a tech reversal. In fact, now that I think about it you could make the tech reversal move a different input from the normal throw - sort of like Hisakoā€™s reversals but only for throws. This way it keeps the character from spamming throws all the time since itā€™s a win win whether he throws or techs.

2 Likes

we should definatley make sure we get a couple more beast/creature characters. (Not vampires though) KIā€™s seasons have been good with this kind of roster diversity. Letā€™s hope it stays that way.

Maybe Garrgos can have some other underlings take the fight along side him. Be good to see some villains from his corner.

Actually I kinda like this idea. Itā€™s like a Wrestling reversal. Perfectly fair too because you can still combo break afterwards.

2 Likes

I like the idea of having his normal throw whiff animation longer than average. It will make players more careful not to abuse it.

A long whiff, plus still being able to combo break it, is pretty fair. I imagine that the throw reversal would be more like a wrestler clinch that takes no damage, but holds your opponent. And from that clinch, you can do a light, medium, or heavy auto-double throw that can be broken if the opponent sees the visual cues.

Light autos can be headbutts/knee strikes. Mediums can be limb breaks/ neck choke, Heavies can be bodyslams/powerbombs/suplexes.

The best bet would be not to try to throw him unless youā€™re feeling lucky lol.

No, no, no, this is my worst nightmare!!

We need a vampire, we need a cyber punk cop/super soldier, we need a witch doctor, and a wrestler. Thatā€™s my list and last but not least we need Ultimates or I will riot in the streets.

I just read the ā€œ11 days laterā€ in the Spongebob announcers voiceā€¦ Why is that always my gut reaction

1 Like