What are you playing?

I think if you like castlevania games post Symphony of the night you are going to like this game.

I played it on my 65 inch screen for half an hour this morning. It felt slow and laggy and didn’t look very good. I think I this had more to do with my expectations than the games performance. And keep in mind I’m jet lagged af. I’m tempted to buy the Xbox version just to see how different it looks, but it’s pretty pricey and I don’t really expect to play this game except on the move.

But yeah, the game is very cool. Lots of different weapon types and there’s an art to dealing with the different enemies. Sometimes it’s easier to kill certain guys with a less powerful weapon that has a hit arc that consistently beats their pattern, for example.

There’s a huge number of subsystems - food, alchemy, shards, shard leveling etc. I don’t fully understand them and I’ve never been hugely into that aspect of Castlevania. But if you like messing around with character builds then there’s lots to fiddle with here.

The enemies are reasonably cool. They are pretty much all variants on things you’ve seen in Castlevania - fulfilling the “functions” if we are allowed to say that in a post MvCi world. Some of them are cooler replacements than others. A muddy flesh blob that tosses bones, for example seems like a pretty feeble replacement for the bone tossing skeletons from castlevania. But a lot of the bigger demons etc are very cool. There’s an ultra realistic looking giant cat with horns that looks amazing - as well as a dog head that is on a chain like a chain chomp. They look so good and realistic that they seem really out of place compared to “flesh blob that throws bones.”

I’m about four hours in, and it’s good enough that I’m kicking myself for not bringing my switch on my bus ride to work this morning. I’ve been playing hollow knight and there’s no question that this is much slower paced and less responsive than that. But I find the aesthetic much more appealing and I would rather play Bloodstained.

2 Likes

LOLOL! I have Dark SOuls 3 on Xbox now… ha ha.

Man Im not digging Samurai SHodown… its just isnt fun at all. It doesnt have that wow factor like…wow look what I just did! Its just really stiff and slow. IM sure after a ton of practice and understanding it could be fun but starting out its just not fun IMO. I like the look of some of the characters but IMO it would be so much more fun if it played like KI or SF, or MK. BUt it just doesnt… it has that King of fighters feel.

1 Like

I agree. Even though I love the game.

I think for newer players there probably should have been a tutorial-like mini-game or character specific strategy or combo trial etc.
But as this game is more mind games, that is probably harder to convey in am in-game tutorial / guide. Definitely agree that no combos or easy execution is not very attractive for all FG fans.

1 Like

I just ran into the shovel knight demon at Bloodstained. Lol.

2 Likes

I have been playing a few games now that I really love. There are better, more high profile games out perhaps but I have been going back and forth between the following games.

Devil May Cry 5
ResEvil 2nd playthrough
BloodStained
SamSho
DoA6

I regret that Bioware has not delivered on the roadmap because I was really enjoying Anthem a lot. Nearly 200 hours. It was one of the games I was enjoying a lot, but because of lack of content and technical issues that persist, I was waiting for one or two months to get back into the game…but we are in month three now…

1 Like

I missed MK11. My personal favorite FG for single player content.

I’ve been playing Samurai Showdown, Bloodstained, and last night my brother and I started the free new DLC for Borderlands 2. It has a new UHD texture pack for One X and my god does it run well. And although the games are grindy and repetitive they sure are fun. Lots of dialogue from the cast of the first game in this. Really enjoyed it.

1 Like

Finished up Amid Evil. Between this and Dusk, New Blood Interactive have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they know how to make fun, unique FPS games with glorious retro flare.
Amid Evil is also beautiful.

The first thing I thought when I saw those is that they must be some of the backer-designed enemies, where said backers pretty much just inserted their pet into the game lol. Dunno if that’s actually the case, though.

1 Like

I’ve been playing Bloodstained on Switch as well. I think the people griping about the quality are blowing the quality drop out of proportion. It’s fine, and my guess is you wouldn’t even notice a lot of the issues if you don’t do a side-to-side comparison with a 4k console version.
As far as I can tell I’m a quarter of the way in (map % anyway), and yup, it’s a Iga-style Metroidvania all right. :sunglasses::+1:

I’ve also been playing some Doom in VR…not 2016 though…Brutal Doom and Doom 3 BFG Edition. There are mods for each that let you play them in VR. The extremely fast pace of Brutal Doom actually made me a bit nauseous after a couple of levels, but Doom 3…surprisingly it actually looks great, and plays better than a lot of VR games on the market, so far.

Im thinking of getting Bloodstained fro SWitch…but I just have too many new games right now. Hell I bought 4 new games in this past week after I said I dont need any more new games LOL

Detroit
Spiderman (Playing this the most…really fun if you keep it moving)
Samurai Showdown
Days Gone

I had more fun with Samurai tonight as I started to actually learn my guys move set…Kiroshiro or whatever his name is… the naginata face paint guy.

ANd I played a bit of Dark Souls 3 on my old character…funny how much better you are at a game after coming back months later and learning techniques from similar games like Sekiro and using that in Dark Souls… places that wrecked me before where just simple.

We need to play some SamShodown together if you’re on PS4. Much more fun learning together. Once you get the mechanics down, it becomes much more fun but takes time.

1 Like

Ive learned a good bit from these 2 videos this morning…now I just need to put it all together in game.

Getting the hang of super mario maker 2. It’s awesome too.

been playing bloodstained and i got back into warframe again. tennocon is this weekend, ill be catching the replays when able since ill be away from home

I’ll be watching Tennocon as well. Excited for the reveals, and getting Nekros Prime for free is too good to pass on.

Im back on Red Dead 2… never finshed it. Im just about to head to the final area, just 2 more missions. I still dont know how the story plays out so dont tell me lol

Been playing Spiderman on PS4…actually just got out he new movie…it was OK…nothing great about it though.

i gotta see how to score that, lol. i just got inaros off the quest, was a pain to solo. but i got the boss kill done with nidus, defier of balance and giver of zero ■■■■■

Taking a mini break from MK11 to play the Stranger Things 3 game that came out yesterday to go with the release of Stranger Things season 3 on Netflix. It’s in that crappy retro style I hate but I got it anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

What system is it on? Never heard of it.