What are you currently listening to?

Somehow it’s been too long since I’ve heard this, decided to rectify that, spine breaking dance moves and all!

1 Like

R.I.P Tom Petty

3 Likes

Alright then. I’m ready to share some impressions/opinions on Cryptoriana The Seductivenes of Decay now.

At first I must admit that the album didn’t grasp me the same way Hammer of the Witches did. But it’s understandable due to the fact that all songs are long songs, they have no instrumental section between them and honestly, in a way… All songs have a similar build, which isn’t a negative thing.

I can’t say where on my list of top albums I would put it and I don’t know if it’s better than Hammer yet.

So, the intro. Could be one of their best intros ever. I especially like the ‘hollow’ drumming toward the middle.
Heartbreak & Seance which I was a bit fed up on and felt it to be a typical average Cradlesong really grew on me, a lot. It’s better off as a song without the video attached.
Achingly Beautiful is at the moment one of my favorite tracks, it does however share something with Yours Immortaly = They both have choruses that are easy to hear, somewhat memorable and as a sound isn’t quite as dark or heavy. The keyboards in the middle are achingly beautiful (hue hue)

Wester Vespertine is a song that seems to have become a fan favorite by reading comments on Facebook.
To me though, i’m not sure. I need to listen to this song more. There is nothing that really catches my ear here. It’s not bad, just not very memorable.

The Seductiveness of Decay has been an interesting journey. My first listen on the record this became my favorite, then it kind of felt a bit too much like Iron Maiden. Now i’m back to really liking it again. It’s one of the longer songs so of course opinions change :stuck_out_tongue:

Vengeful Spirit. Or shall I call it 80’s Metallica intro? That intro would fit 100% into Ride the lightning, Master of Puppets or …And Justice for all without a doubt.
Aside from all this the song itself need a bit more baking in the oven for me, just like Wester Vespertine. Nice to hear Liv on another song again and when they go into a little bit of a duet makes it even better(I will come back to duets later)

You Will Know the Lion by His Claw.
Liked it first time I heard it, still do. Thumbs up.

Death & the Maiden.
By reading comments many people seem to like this one at first. Then it swayed the other way.
I never expected the longest song to be the slowest one. This song is basically Ten Leauges Beneath Contempt twice.
But it’s fitting. It breaks up from how all other songs on the album are made, and the second half of the song make it stronger.

The Night at Catafalque Manor…

O_o
This song is crazy. Some parts of it sounds like it’s from Godspeed, other from Darkly Venus Aversa, then a bit of Hammer. Then the music at times sounds like it’s from Dusk & Her Embrace.
It encapsulates so much of CoF. Devil to the Metal part 2.
I do wish the song started different. I’m not a huge fan of songs that start like it’s in the middle of a crescendo. (like An Enemy Led the Tempest & The Nun With the Astral Habit)

Alison Hell.
Nice cover, some nice yells in here :slight_smile:

Before I listened to the album I listened to all their previous album & I gotta say that some things are better than before & I noticed a similarity between 2 albums.

First off, the duet thing. 2 songs have grown on me a lot. Those are Lilith Immaculate & Beyond Eleventh Hour(Darkly Darkly Venus Aversa). This album has the best female vocals, period. That’s why I wish the section on B11H would have a little longer duet. They trade phrases toward the end of the song. I just wished it would go on further.

Then there’s the other thing I noticed, also tied to Darkly.
That album is similar to Damnation & a day between track 2-4. They are all 3-5 minute long. They are all fast and none of them memorable =D kind of like the whole Damnation album.
Also, they did the same thing on Godspeed. You have Track 6-8. They are similar in length, structure & a bit more memorable than on Darkly, hence why it’s an overall better album.

2 other songs that really grew on me are To Eve the Art of Witchcraft(their first album). The slow female part is wonderful. It’s so ASMR:y.
Babylon AD from Damnation is also another song that grew, also wish the choir toward the very end would be included in some more sections.

LONG POST!

1 Like

I just listened to the entire album here at work…Im going to read your review and reply again later today while listening again.

So overall I really like the album but like you said its a lot to take in and even after listening to it twice today at work, Ive forgotten most of the other songs that aren’t videos. forgotten enough to make a good review of them.

But there is that one song that sounds straight out of Dusk and her Embrace! Good stuff!

Martin on drums is what personally makes the albums best IMO.
The new guitar players are doing awesome as well. Paul llender lost his hunger after Darkly.

Id have to say I like it more than Hammer, but I havent listend to that one in a while either… that are much idifferent really.

Lindsey is great on the keys and gothic atmosphere and really without her I dont know if Dani could do it on his own.

Ill listen some more and see if I cant put the names to each song since that is very important when reviewing…Allison in hell is cool though…I do like that one, but it doesnt really fit in the overall theme

1 Like
1 Like

Dream theater - AWAKE

october rust continues with more Type O Negative for me

3 Likes

Morbid lyrics

New sheet from my boy Matt Thompson on drums…killer!

1 Like

Dani Filth is too good for black metal.

Lush non-descript ambient for artwork is my best soundtrack

1 Like

Dude does have some sick lyrics man…super poetic

1 Like

You can’t help that this beat itself is :fire::fire::fire:

Also, if you play it at a slight speed, it’s better

2 Likes
1 Like

have you seen the review by the 2 rap guys for Holy wars? Its great, Ill post it here for you to see.

2 Likes