Visceral Games got shut down by EA

people still lost jobs. ME is on hold after its catastrophic launch.

“for the foreseeable future”.

The DLC for Andromeda was cancelled, that’s about it.

EA dude himself said another ME game could still be in the books, no reason not to think that.

and that was as of Aug 2017, most recent article I could find! :face_with_monocle:

lets see what happens, now if only dead space could get another shot

1 Like

I mean, yeah, I doubt a new ME comes out any time in the next 3-5 years. But it’s too big of an IP to be ignored.

And a new, more horror-focused Dead Space reboot would be cool. Now that Visceral is gone, not sure which of EA’s subsidiaries have experience in horror or even atmospheric games. Maybe they can outsource it.

1 Like

So for you personally, would you like to see Dead Space 4 as a reboot by any chance?

maybe they will do a kickstarter of some kind and go back to how it was before. maybe theyll even improve it by bein at liberty to take a few risks? who knows. for now its pretty dead

1 Like

I didn’t play Dead Space 3, so story-wise I’m not sure where it left off and what not. But yeah, at this point, may as well just reboot the franchise.

1 Like

even if it sold huge…wasnt enough.

1 Like

yeah, I remember that. Was the first sign of the series’ doom. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

REALLY interesting article on why Visceral failed with their Star Wars game. Seems to lay out the entire timeline. A long read, but a good one by Kotaku:

I will say this, and I obviously wasn’t on the inside so I have no idea how realistic any of my opinions are, but to me, this looks like a massive failure on EA’s part.

While the assumption that they want to get out of the “play and sell” single player games market is still somewhat valid, I think, the issues with this game and the mismanagement run far deeper.

EA seemed to want a magic bullet for why this game would make sacks of cash and Visceral didn’t seem to have it. Why? Well, part of it had to be the fact that their team was routinely cannibalized by other projects, split up, recombined, split again, combined with another team that had a completely different design philosophy…

I mean, combining a flat structure, autonomous team with a top down approach team is NUTS. Combine that with forcing them to use frickin Frostbite, a first person shooter engine to make a 3rd person action game. Add to that all the difficulties with the Star Wars license and having to clear everything not just with the Star Wars people who are uber specifc on how things should be, but with the EA side who wants money money money and surprise! The mismatched team where people were constantly jumping ship due to a terrible culture and unattainable goals wasn’t able to succeed in bringing an Uncharted 4 level Star Wars production out with half the staff (who had half the experience) that Uncharted 4 had.

Seriously… When Visceral people themselves called killing their team a “mercy killing,” you know it’s not just bad. It’s downright terrible. I know that Hennig is partly to blame because she came from a flat culture place at Naughty Dog, but why the hell was everything running through her to begin with? She’s character / story / tone creative lead type. Why wasn’t there someone leading the gameplay charge? Did EA even know what her job was at Naughty Dog?

I know Visceral gets some blame as well, but again… After reading that article, I don’t see how anyone could put the blame on them when they didn’t have a chance from the get go. This project didn’t have a chance. What a waste.

2 Likes

That was a really bad move on EA’s part.

1 Like