Ultimates are coming!

Ahhh, ok. I didn’t realize that’s what IG is intentionally going for. I guess it’s just a different spin on the finisher then. I was under the impression these are supposed to be kill moves, but was annoyed how questionable some of them are.

I got it. I didn’t see that post earlier.

I still feel some of them could be better, though. TJ’s is just literally punches. If that’s all it’s going to be, there should at least be more of it. And I still would like to see charred effects on losers who are burned or electrocuted.

1 Like

I personally love the way the ultimates look.

Just trying to bring some positivity in here.

4 Likes

The developers intention has always been to keep the game more accessible to a wider audience, hence why they didn’t bring back KI1 Thunder or KI2 Orchid, and the level of violence in the game is pretty tame.

I personally like TJ’s Ultimate because it’s so simple, he just decks the opponent and walks away like a badass as they fall to the ground. Only thing I’d like to see changed about it is the sound effects of the punches getting a little more “oomph” behind them.

I think I mentioned that as well in this thread, too. Better sound effects would definitely also make a world of difference. I believe there’s a seperate thread dedicated to this very idea.

I love these ultimates… I just feel they need more voice work, more hype. Death cries and extra voices.

Example:

TJ: “Here it comes! Ahhhhh, last one!!! THINK ABOUT IT” or “You’re finished!”

Maya: “VAMOS! dagger strikes final axe kick Extermination!”

Thunder: " chant - crows- surprise headbutt - It’s over! Lightning stomp

Tusk: "Daaaaah WARGRAM!! grunts - final stab “Now die!”

Jago? They would need the season 1 voice actor back… but that’s hard to see as we don’t have Mike back to record some lines and it’s been almost 2-3 years

2 Likes

There’s a couple threads dedicated to complaining about TJ’s Ultimate, not to mention all the complaining about his Ultimate in all the other threads.

Here’s a sound edit @iDoMusic4Media posted in one of those threads

I agree this would be great!

1 Like

I doubt IG and MS want to have to get the voice actors back. I like your ideas though.

1 Like

Agree with the death cries but I would prefer to leave the spoken parts out (that’s opening a door to extra cheesiness which I think is unnecessary).
But maybe that’s just me. I’m the kind of guy who prefers “no talking” during certain moments in life of which we only should talk about when the kids are in bed.

1 Like

What do you mean by that? Former glory? Are you trying to say that KI was much more violent back in the 90’s?

I’m not trying to put words in your mouth, but if that’s what you’re arguing, then I don’t know if you’re blinded by nostalgia or what, but go back and look at an arcade compilation of Ultimates and No Mercy’s, cuz KI’s old kill moves look like the Super Nintendo versions of MK1 fatalities.

That makes sense considering that KI was going from arcade to Ultra 64, then wound up on SNES, and Nintendo’s not usually one for the hyper violence, especially back then.

Not to go too far off topic here, but after watching some of the arcade montages, I will say that I freaking loved the presentation in the old game, specifically with regards to having both a win pose as well as a separate screen Supreme / Awesome Victory animation.

Those separate animations always looked so cool to me back when I was playing in the arcade, like with Cinder taking flight, Sabrewulf chewing on that bloody meat, Glacius’ arms forming spikes like a T1000, it was such a cool touch that made KI look so much cooler than other fighters on the market at the time.

I wish the new KI could add that kind of presentation both before matches (replacing the current “fight on” screen) as well as after matches. Both of those screens were such a cool, unique presentation touch that added some wow factor to the game that I always enjoyed. Plus I thought it enhanced the cool factor for the individual characters as well.

Imagine how dark, unique and stylized these could be in 2017? Honestly, I think when some people talk about how KI needs to be darker or whatever, I think these screens would go a long way in helping with that idea, even if I still think that many of the stages fit the mold.

I think a simpler implementation would be to add the voice clip of the character losing a life bar (you guys know what I mean) and adding that to whatever the killing blow of the ultimate is. I think that would add to them personally.

2 Likes

Yeah but I would love if they echoed their cries. On the final hit not at the start of the ultimate which is how it is right now.

Also animalities arent gore finishers. Dev team should use that pattern on ultimates. And as for ultimates devs may recap KI classics.

Since there’s still some confusion:

We left the ambiguity in there by not showing or emphasizing the kill, but from our side, the opponent isn’t getting back up.

13 Likes

But still kicking ■■■ finishers using stage ultra animations can be made like Hisako buried for Spinal and Aganos devastated for Cinder. Assuming these will receive one…

1 Like

I assume you aren’t a director, screenwriter, cinematographer, or even cameraman. Moreover, is it safe to assume that you enjoy Michael Bay & Spike Lee films, but don’t understand Hitchcock or Chan Wook-Park?

I think it is.

Also, KI’s “former glory” was a watered down, cartoonish MK ripoff.

3 Likes

Will Kyle’s AI be fixed to use these and also shadow counters again? It’s really easy to just spam attacks on the AI constantly blocking and win by time-out.

@TempusChaoti

I’m personally confident that they are not getting up after that. If they arn’t dead now, they will be in awhile.

Thunder practically gave Rash the equivalent of an electric chair
Jago threw a big ball that cooked Kilgore like a burned turky
TJ Combo is no longer an average boxer, so the punch had to have broken his foe’s neck
Tusk, well we pretty much know what happened
and Maya’s, well. I don’t think anyone could survive having daggers impaled into their heads (Unless your an MK character)

2 Likes

You know, I used to frequent a Transformers fan site, and every time a new series would pop up that would have absolutely nothing to do with the original 80’s toys/ cartoons/comics, there would be an outcry pretty much in step with what you’re giving here. And the response would always be the same:

if you want the originals, go enjoy the originals. they’re still there, you can watch/play with/read them anytime you want.

With KI, same thing. If you want the original KI, go play the original KI. If not, play this one, and accept it as what it is. Or play both, for that matter.

2 Likes

There is also a lot of nostalgia with these things…

Give someone unfamiliar with the old and new games a chance to play both and I’m pretty sure 95%+ will prefer KI 2013.

Because without the nostalgia goggles or year of getting aquinted to the old playstyle, it just doesnt play as smoothly and tight as the new game does…

I owned one of the old games back in the day, had the black cardtridge for the snes or n64 and thought it was cool, but hadnt played it ever since, when I booted up the classics wich I got with my ultra combo packs, I just didnt like how they played at all. My biggest takeaway from the old games was that the characters were cool, and we got them all now, so I’m happy, Ultimates is just the cherry on top, and I to keep from straying, I like them just fine! :grin:
Now all I can do is hope all characters get one (especially Fulgore, Mira, Cinder and Hisako)

1 Like