Ultimates are coming!

What is with you guys? Your’re obsessed with arguing with anyone who posts even over trivia. You want to count the number of weapons in KI vs SoulCalibur? Go nuts (hint Soul Calibur wins by a mile) but you’re missing the point. The impales in SC V are not “brutal and impactful.” They certainly don’t kill anyone. The best one is lizardman’s flying fire breath, which has no impaling at all. If you think that SC V style “sword goes in and then comes out” with zero effect on the character is what KI’s Ultimates need then clearly we just disagree.

Goodnight.

3 Likes

I don’t think you understand and no one is trying to argue.

This thread

20 Likes

How though? It clearly implies that the blades go right through your eyes/face. How can you show that without breaking the rating?

I guess some people just won’t be satisfied with Ultimates unless they’re exactly how they envision them down to the smallest of details. Also, stop comparing KI to other fighting games with the same rating and saying, “those games can do ‘x’ so why can’t KI do it too?” That’s that game, this is this game, and we’re all just gonna have to live with the fact that it’s IG’s/MS’s intentions to not explicitly show the characters being killed by Ultimates.

It’s not hard for a video game to impact someone with PTSD actually.

1 Like

We’re intentionally riding the line of “are they dead, or not?” with Ultimates, leaving it up to your personal interpretation.

If you’re in it for the brutality, believe that they’re dead. If not, believe they’re not.

19 Likes

Ive honestly never thought of it this way, and im not sure how i feel about it.

I think about it in a very clear-cut way… Violence is not KI’s thing. No one hates on SFV for not being overly violent, so why KI? Each game has its own thing, and in my opinion, KI has
the BEST things. Combo system, gimmics, visuals, diversity… Just not violence. And thats fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gore, not violence. KI has violence in spades. So much glorious violence.

But just to be clear:

Violence is aggressively attacking someone.

Gore is tearing them apart in some form or another…exposing internal body parts.

4 Likes

How am I supposed to interpret Maya’s ultimate as any possible way to survive that? I suppose she could only blind them, but she put all of her body weight into it, so I remain skeptical.

Well, from the angle you can’t really tell what the blades are hitting exactly. It kinda looks like they’re directly under his head. Then again they could be jammed into his shoulders and his head missed. So yeah, Maya’s could still be left up to interpretation.

2 Likes

Who cares what some YouTube person likes or doesn’t like. Anyone can find a YouTube video that supports their opinions. So you found some that don’t like the Ultimates. I can find just as many YouTube videos of poeple saying they are the greatest thing ever.

I hate to break it to you, but only 8 -16 year old kids think a kid making a YouTube video from his bedroom some great source of information.

@GalacticGeek. Hey don’t worry about this kid. It is ovious that he just wants KI to be more violent because his parents won’t let him watch rated R movies. :laughing:

1 Like

Kinda harsh don’t think? :confused:

If fighting games have taught me anything, it’s that just because something looks like it should hurt doesn’t mean it will.

I mean, Thunder’s Call of the Earth ends in a curb stomp to the skull with a very audible CRUNCH, and unless it closes out the lifebar they just pop up and keep going like it was nothing.

And one would think that being hit with a mass of super heated plasma would disintegrate the target, but with a few exceptions fireballs and other projectiles (including knives, bullets, lasers, rocks, rockets, and little demons) do negligible damage.

When you punch someone in the chin, they go flying through the air like a beach ball for you to bop about rather than toppling to the ground in agony.

Hell, Mortal Kombat has characters that can freeze your body solid or jam a spear into your chest and all they do is make you dizzy.

I think that if you really wanted to, you could suspend your disbelief a little bit. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I like that you’re giving us that insight so we can bury that line of discussion. They’re all tastefully done and I want to see the other 10, pretty sure they’ll be hype as well… Just TJ’s. I’ve been watching it multiple times and its growing on me, but the sense of impact still isn’t there. The accompanying sounds give the feel of speed more than power which I think diminishes the value of the punches. Tweaking it up with some heavy thumps would probably make it significantly better. Then again, maybe its just the Youtube video that sounds like that. Feb 14th isn’t that far away so we’ll find out. :smile:

1 Like

See? That’s exactly the point. I actually thought the blades were set below the opponents neck or shoulders, to either decapitate or impale him/her. That’s why I didn’t like it happening off-screen. I ended up not really understanding what happened!

To answer @Iago407, @fuzzd0rk and @BigBadAndy on how they could make ultimates visually more interesting, I’ll give two examples that already exist in the game and I consider much more brutal and lethal than any of the ultimates I’ve seen so far:

• Thunder’s bone-crunching curbstomp following his Call of the Earth attack (edit: I just realized @Fwufikins had already given this example, glad I’m not the only one)

• Hisako’s impaling command grab (Influence)

These are just two examples of special moves that make me squirm every time I watch them for their sheer brutality; they are both deadly (how the opponents survive those attacks is pure video game magic) and, most importantly, they are very EXPLICIT - we see the full deal, nothing is implied or censored in any way. And the result is glorious. You go from “ouch, that hurt even me” to “that was friggin’ awesome” in a split second.

I think Ultimates should follow this course. Ultimates don’t need to be MK-gory, but they should be painful to watch (and therefore, explicit) like in those two examples I gave.

2 Likes

Sorry, but I’m in my 30s and grew up with the original KI games. Nice fail at assuming I’m a dumb kid, though. I want KI to return to it’s former glory. Not some watered down, cartoonish version, which is what we ended up getting.

1 Like

If you’re referring to someone who already has PTSD, then they shouldn’t be playing violent games in the first place then.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but the original KI’s were SUPER cheesy and cartoonishly violent themselves.

5 Likes

Yeah, there were comedic elements in the game, but at least it didn’t have off-screen, implied deaths.

1 Like

I will agree on that. Better to keep the conversation to something more productive.

Also @VladKravich SOUL CALIBAR 5! HIIISSSSS

1 Like