Tusk is not Tusk anymore (from what I saw)

Maybe you are right, if it’s the case, well I’m sorry it’s not to insult, but the devs was better 20 years ago then, because they did it, and it wasn’t goofy at all, actually that was one of the best looking ender(for me). So don’t tell me it’s impossible, they go the easy way, or they just can’t figure it out with way more technologie, so they could use of a better team.

still don’t see the difference, not because it’s the ‘‘norm’’ that it’s more ok, in the contrary, I think it’s more interresting, it makes the character '‘alive’. Nothing is boring me more than a character that doesn’t say a word of all the fight because he’s not a ninja so it’s not the norm to call your move.

Look at Kan-ra, is he dumb because he is yelling ‘‘ma-soup’’ everytime he drop a sand trap, or because he said ‘‘predictable’’ sometimes in the command throw and that sometimes he is just laughing, he is the most expressive character of the game and this is one the reason that I like him so much and we haven’t talk about all his little yelling here and there sometimes.

Besides no one ask to ear the ‘‘dah’’ on every move like you said, in KI 2 he was yelling it only in the boot kick opener/linker/ender and maybe some rare time somewhere else but not much, thats it. Anyway it seems that the ‘‘dah’’ is still there, just didn’t ear it yet, just wait and see for that.

You can hear the “dah” sound when he does the shoulder move. It was audible a few times during the reveal stream on Friday, and it’s particularly noticeable when he does a combo involving shoulder linkers. It’s a bit more of a grunt than KI2’s dah but it’s definitely there and I think it’s as far as they need to take it.

“Dah” is also different than the name of a fireball or “ma-soup” for sand spike, because it implies he’s a big ol’ dummy who doesn’t know any words if that’s all he says. Maybe in KI2 when he was a barbarian from 1000 years ago that makes sense, but their version of Tusk is an immortal who has learned more than “dah” from 1000 years ago until present day.

Anyway, I’m not too interested in discussing the finer points of the lore, since that’s not my area of expertise. I’m sure the retro will look pretty similar to his KI2 form if you miss the old appearance.

It’seems not that dah is stupid on it’so own, because it’seems not. It just doesn’t need to occur on as many situations as KI2

Except it was goofy. Maybe not to you but to the majority (IG included) it is pretty goofy.

A game where characters fly across the screen pumping their chest for a counter breaker (glacius cough cough or any other character on grounded juggle counter breaker attempts) or doing a dp into dropkick and gliding to the ground (s3 Thunder…) or a wulf diving without any movement of his body to the ground like a paper glider or a guy dashing with sword towards the opponent without hitting them (tusk …) or or or

a backflip dp is just fine and not goofy at all.

Never heard such a stupid explanation when the game has tons of goofy and bad looking animations.

1 Like

I never said it shouldn’t be in the game because it’s goofy, I just said that it does indeed look goofy.

When you are trying to put the history background like…''he is not a barbarian anymore he knows more than just ‘‘dah’’ ‘’ to justify your point, well this is going pretty far I think.

yup and we are not even talking about the DP yet, just the ender…so imagine if we were talking more about it, would be a mess.

IG said that because they can’t figure out how to make it look great as a ender, and a lot of things are goofy in this game and we didn’t talk about it, so why this? it would be even worse you will say? yeah sure. Probably the worst thing in-game

That’s exactly what I wanted back.
The mix between DAH, DIEH, AND GROOOO made it sound like a barbarian berserker at work

so satisfying

inb4 “then go play KI2” comments.

The problem is that the animations shouldn’t look bad and shouldn’t be accepted. They are all signs of poor, rushed game development, and that’s never acceptable.

As I have said, Omen is the embodiment of everything that’s wrong with the new KI.

in the video, 42 seconds, tell me that the ender look goofy, and try to believe it.

We don’t have to have a debate about whether his flip ender looks goofy. The debate is whether or not Tusk is still Tusk without the flip ender and saying “DAH” five times a second.

This all just boils down to the exact same nostalgia warrior argument that has been going on with KI since before its launch in 2013. Some people don’t like the way the characters have changed and they are insisting that things must be done their way. They don’t care if the developers have a reason for why they want to do it differently, they don’t want to listen to other people’s opinions on whether it’s good or bad or otherwise. They just insist that everything should be changed to fit the KI they want in their minds. “Tusk’s flip DP is important to ME, so they should change it. I don’t care what their reasons are - and any explanation other than ‘okay we will put it in’ I will reject.”

If you think Tusk is the “most changed” character coming to KI you are mistaken. Glacius wins that contest by a landslide. But in the end MS/DH/IG are moving forward with a game based on their creative vision. You can enjoy it or not, at your discretion.

Everyone gets all offended when you suggest that their demands are linked to nostalgia, but even the people complaining don’t agree on what the “essential” part of Tusk is. They all have different demands for what needs to be changed - which means to satisfy everyone they would have to go back and make Tusk literally identical to the KI2 version. That’s the point. Lightning doesn’t strike twice. It’s not 1996, this game is not KI2, and Tusk is going to be different. No one says you have to like it. But how many times do you need to post that he should say “Dah” more? These are minor issues.

There is not a single person on this forum who couldn’t offer similar suggestions for their favorite characters. I didn’t get the Cinder I wanted. But I can move past that and acknowledge that MS/IG did some really cool things with him. You don’t see me saying “Fulgore isn’t Fulgore anymore because his DP goes straight up into the air.” Most of us recognize that the criticism is disproportionate to the importance of the issue.

You don’t have to like Tusk. You don’t have to like KI 2013. You don’t have to pay money for it. No one is forcing you to do anything. But when you post these nostalgic demands, be prepared that people are going to argue with you.

2 Likes

It looked goofy. It was kind of like what it looks like when you make action figures fight and you have to make due with the limits of their joints.

It looks goofy as he-ll.

And that is why I’m stepping out of any more of these debates. The threads seem to start innocently enough, but then devolve into the same point being repeated over and over again with both sides sticking to their guns. For example, the following comment

That’s rude, and certainly insults the work they’ve put in to making S2 AND S3 a thing for us to enjoy.

1 Like

I think that in the context of old Tusk, it’s fine. But with Tusk’s new sword, which is about twice the size of his old blade, it wouldn’t be that great.
Lots of moves from old characters didn’t make it or were altered in this game. Riptor’s claw uppercut, Jago’s windkick, Cinder’s heat sink, Orchid’s helicopter kick, Fulgore’s reflect, a bunch of projectiles (bats, laziken, phoenix, fukkiken), Jago’s spinning wind kick, Wulf’s roll… Tusk isn’t the only character who’s had something changed from the original, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.
It’s not like this sort of change is exclusive to KI either. Even Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, masters of the status quo in character design, have undergone huge changes over time (Reptile and Ken are both examples of this.)
Outside of fighting games you could point to examples of Doom, Oddworld, Starcraft, and recently even the infamous Call of Duty for evidence of games changing in ways that are sometimes drastic ways. Some games don’t fair well, others become better than their previous incarnations. Personally, I think Killer Instinct has faired really well. It’s evolved without losing its heart, adding new things to the series that make it really enjoyable.
I know that not everyone will be happy with the changes, but that’s to be expected. Personally I prefer to look at what was retained and what was added rather than what’s missing, but I know not everyone will adhere to this train of thought.

2 Likes

.[quote=“BigBadAndy, post:119, topic:5550”]
but even the people complaining don’t agree on what the “essential” part of Tusk is. They all have different demands for what needs to be changed
[/quote]

Well I disagree on almost everything. No one said ‘‘change that this is important for me’’ on anything. If you look carefully you will see that those who disagree are almost looking about the samething and we all agree on the point that he is missing most of his special move, that’s it. I’m not even talking about the DP and you always put it back on your line just to prove your point.

Of course characters changed, and I said it myself they did a good job with the new Tusk, but he is missing his old signatures moves which wouldn’t change anything on the new Tusk they made, and he is not missing one move and I’m here crying that I want my move back, he is missing almost most of them, this is why I’m here.

Glacius is the most changed you said? Well at least he got his shoulder charge back, his liquidize and also his puddle puch back. Also in S3, he will got his full range liquidize puddle puch back. He got his hail but in a different form, even his ice pick is there but with less range. He almost got everythings back. In fact I’m thinking about it and I think he’s the character who got the most of his old stuff and they made it fit the new KI, this is how you make it right, so there everyone is pleased and you can’t say that Glacius is not Glacius anymore

I’ve given some more thought into the backflip thing and now I see it more as a gameplay related change. And by that I mean the range that thing would have if it were actually implemented. Think of how much range his st.HP has and then make a reversal out of it. The closest thing there would be to that is Cinder’s HK Fire Flash, and even that wouldn’t make up for it as much.

Except IG doesn’t work for you and it’s not their job to satisfy you, it’s their job to satisfy the community as a whole and aside from a handful of people Tusk has been pretty well received.

3 Likes

Ok dude. Just because I like what they do, I’m licking their balls. At this point, I’m tempted to have the devs move this to Off-Topic simply because of your language.
Life also has compromise, something you clearly don’t understand.

I was in the process of typing a longer version of this, but yea there you go.

1 Like

This is where your mistake is, everyone lost some tools, but Tusk is the only one who has been left behind almost completly and re-think.

I did not want to talk about it, but since you do, Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter makes their characters evolving perfectly. Play with Scorpion (or any others) in MK1, and in MKX, all of his signatures moves are still in, even after maybe 11 ou 12 games. They never changed that and will never do, it’s because this is whats the character is made of, why some players play with him instead of someone else and why they like him instead of another one.

Same for SF, play with Ryu or Ken or Guile in SF 1 and 2 and play it now, they will still got the same specials and signatures moves and they even looking still the same, they are fine tuning the rest. Look at the popularity of each games, look at the popularity of KI.

Also, no one is here and says: what!!? Scorpion is still able to make fire!?? He is getting old I don’t understand, how can he lived and be healty for so long? I’m wondering if he had changed the rope in his body, it must be a little used by now. I hope he did because it would be such an unrealistic game if not.
See how stupid it sounds. We will found some comments like that here.

I never said that. Like I said I’m suggesting things, if you are not happy then go, If I was the only one thinking that or the only one who wants some fine tuning, this topic would have been closed since a bunch of times by now.

If it was that well received, why so much post and topic about bad stuff about him. It’s not because the chat was full of happy guys during the livestream with the excitement of the moment that the character is perfect.

And like I said a lot of times now, you guys are rough with me and didn’t listen at all I don’t know why maybe you don’t accept the critics, but Tusk is quite good and well made, he just need a few moves back. So what now I’m just saying that I think he isn’t completly perfect and you are pretty mad at me…well sorry