Troubleshooting for Killer Instinct Anniversary Edition

Just here to echo what others have said about the Steam beta testers. I’m gonna buy it right now because I’m trying to spread the good word at my local tonight, but not happy about that.

sent you a message. anyone else reading this, if you go check your replays & turn on inputs, look at where it drops/the issues are & if open to it, sharing a video with notes on where things (time stamp) go wrong, it will help us isolate the cases & find what is happening.

2 Likes

thanks for flagging this! passing it onto devs.

For those having issues clean-installing the PC - Microsoft Store version, and alternate install option would be from the Xbox App.

• Install said App if you don’t already have it
  • Click on “My Library.” Note the Xbox version of the game will not be present, only the PC version.
  • Click on the “Killer Instinct” tile.
  • You can try installing from here, but I think making sure it’s the anniversary edition would be best. So from this page, scroll down to “Compare Editions” and select “Go to Game” for the Anniversary Edition.
  • Click Install. Cross fingers.
2 Likes

No worries, I hope I’m chasing the right leads with this and not giving you any bad info but the more I replicate it the more it seems to be happening during shadow moves, breakers and when projectiles hit eachother. Whenever it crashes it freezes first and I consistently notice that at the moment it freezes there are a lot of particle effects on screen. I wonder if my old Xbox is getting overloaded with too many individual moving objects or something cause I know that stage in particular has a lot going on in the background, what with all the bajillion individual pieces of fruit rolling around and everything.

I have been getting occasional freezes with other characters on that stage and I’m noticing similar instances with them, always lots of sparks everywhere when the freeze occurs. Still happening most consistently with Kilgore and Jago though.

Hello @KRAKENJIMMY

FYI, the Official Madcatz Killer Instinct fight stick no longer works with latest version of the game on Windows 11 (Windows Store Version).

Hope we can get that fixed!

Thanks!

So, I ended up clearing the registry and deleting as much of the old files as I could that didn’t uninstall properly. And noticed that the it was actually an install error of the new content I was deleting. It seems that it got mixed up between the Xbox app for WIndows and the Windows Store when attempting to download. Reset the computer a couple of times and tried to clear temp files each time. Then finally after clearing everything but a MusicTrack file (wouldn’t allow me to remove it). It finally allowed me to download via Windows Store.

Now its attempting to install the Anniversary Add-on (finished the download portion) and it seems to be stalling on the beginning of the install.

Update: Is there a way to verify all the files of the app after the install? I attempted to run it and it seems to be missing the in-game fight HUD (lifebars etc) and locked in Windowed mode. I uninstalled it and I am attempting a reinstall now.

Final Update: After uninstalling it a third time, I was finally able to get it to install successfully. Seems like its all working now. The other issues I was able to fix in the settings menu in game.

thank you. it worked. I’m waiting for you for a friendly set

The game has been updated to the anniversary edition. If you have the definition edition, you do not need to buy the anniversary edition. Just reinstall the base game, and your good.

I found only one problem. when I enter the game, the fullscreen mode breaks all the time. I put it up again every time.

Can’t play a friendly set right now, bout to head to bed, sorry.

Thanks for post this!
Shadow Lords: I confirmed I am also missing guardians (I had 98% of every type/tier), now have mostly crimson & gold- the other tiers gone. We will work on this, if you are ok with leaving your guardian collection alone (don’t buy more with gems), that might be better. I will follow up with a direct message for more info.

Inputs: We are aware and looking at this with lots of video examples coming in from everyone.

Skins/Store: The Terror and Gold skins are now just unlocked for everyone, Omen colors 7-9 as well, so they are in the character select only (do not need to be in the store/collection anymore).

1 Like

Thank you for sharing the process and steps you went through. It is not the usual situation (I can appreciate the effort it takes to work through it!) and sharing this might help others that hit something similar.

Re: Input Issues

I think this is a little different from what most people are experiencing. Most people are experiencing completely dropped inputs whereas I’m seeing incorrect/odd input interpretations occasionally. This issue may predate 3.10 and may or may not be more frequent now… I don’t know and haven’t had the time to test/play more.

System: Steam
Issue: as RAAM, I input 214PP in a combo following a 236LP light linker attempting to end the combo with shadow dominance but shadow decimation comes out instead. The inputs read correctly in the game’s replay so it seems like they were just interpreted wrong possibly because of the previous light linker.
Video of issue: https://youtu.be/pQmsnnynQkI

I purchased KI definitive Edition in 2017 on console (Xbox Series X) the store page only shows me that I own the free to play version of the game. When I search the Xbox store for KI Anniversary Edition it is labeled with a price tag.
All fighters are unlocked however.

installed version: 3.11.9.0

(Series X)

I don’t play much shadow lords but upon checking to see everyone else’s experience, I do believe many of my guardians are missing from the game.

I have also received 60 pro stars in online ranked after this update for some reason after I’ve never had one online. Not sure of what this glitch is, but am bringing it to your awareness, though not a highly pressing issue.

2 Likes

They finally gave you the stars your worth. :slight_smile:

Me and my lowly 1 star. :joy:

2 Likes

If only that were true.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
After the update to the Anniversary Edition my game freez and then crash. Happened 3 times and after that I stopped trying more and check in here. My set up is OG xboxOne - Madcatz killer instinct fight stick - been geting the “most expensive” versions from day one.
Game boots up just fine and I have had no problem going around in the menu system. Put Orchid in training mode against random character - Shin hisako and had no problem playing around with her.
Then I put on shadow lords and I seem to have everything I had before so no problem with that. I went to the war room and I picked Rash from my team against mimic Cinder. As soon as the first fight was about to start the game froze for 4 - 8s before crashing and putting me back at the xbox home screen.
Went back in - straight to shadow lords - and the game had saved the last fight as a loss and Rash was dead. I revived him and decided to continue. This time I picked my Aganos against a mimic Aganos. The fight started but a couple of inputs later, same story as before. Freeze - crash. Don’t remember but I could have tried a shadow move when it happened.
So this time I’m thinking OK maybe shadow lords is kaput, lets try a normal survival ladder fight instead. Picked Orchid and the first fight against Orchid went just fine. Then the second fight was against Cinder and as soon as his “intro” is suposed to play - the game froze and kicked me back to the home screen.
So now I’m here to trouble shoot and se if I can find a solution.
This is the first thread I read so far - so sorry if the answer already is posted in another thread and I’m just being annoying.

1 Like

You’re an excellent player. Don’t listen to anyone who says otherwise.

3 Likes