Troubleshooting for Killer Instinct Anniversary Edition

Hello Combo Breakers! We hope you’re having a great time with the new Anniversary Edition, but if you’re having trouble accessing the new version or are experiencing any other issues that are preventing you from playing, please use this thread to let us know.

Please share which platform you’re on, (i.e. Series X, Windows PC, Steam, Steam Deck…), and attach any relevant screenshots or info that you think might be helpful.

Thanks so much! Our support team will respond through @UltraSupport.

KNOWN ISSUES 12/22/23
Here are the issues reported we are aware of and working on fixes for in an upcoming patch (will update with ETA after the holidays)

• Inputs dropping after quick resume on Xbox Series X|S. Solution: We advise not using quick resume until this is fixed. You may also relaunch the title or power cycle your controller to get out of this state.

• Crashes while playing online multiplayer on Xbox Consoles.

• Crashes while playing shadow missions in Shadow Lords.

• While playing shadow survival or shadow missions in Shadow Lords, users can become stuck trying to retrieve shadows. Retrying or selecting no does not resolve this issue.

• Missing Guardians in Shadow Lords. Message @KRAKENJIMMY directly for support.

4 Likes

Xbox Series X: Xbox Live Blocklist isn’t porting over to the new version of KI. Kept running into people I’ve blocked. I checked the Xbox Live app and they are blocked.

Input issues. Some inputs aren’t registering randomly. I had this happen to me and also saw several people on stream have the same issue. Doesn’t matter the character.

2 Likes

So, I was a beta tester originally for the steam release. I update my game, all characters are gone(except free rotating). Please help.

2 Likes

Same here, beta tested the steam release and now all of my characters are gone besides the free rotating one

I already own the game, and the link that the tweet tells me to click to uninstall and reinstall. I cant install it, if I have to buy it. I’m so confused. Play on PC (not steam).

Hi, I believe I’m in the same situation as lCharlieboy and Valanarro, was a beta tester and I guess just kept on playing that version of the game after release, now it seems I’m on the free version

I’ve had many game crashes, during a match or even at the start logo screens (I’m in Xbox One).

2 Likes

Orchid’s hair makes the game crash. :joy:

3 Likes

Hi there, my friend and I are having issues with special moves not working as intended. We are both killers and have been playing the game for years, so dropping combos or screwing up imputs isn’t a problem we have. Combos are dropping, Reversals aren’t working, and generally about a full half of my special moves aren’t coming out at all, despite the imput clearly being put in. We are both on Xbox series X.
Thank you.

1 Like

I have the same problem on Xbox Series X. Some special moves are not working. Jago Ultra Combo is also not registering sometimes and Im pretty sure that I input the move correctly.

Ran into a few problems playing on Xbox Series X since the patch launched.

• Booted up Shadow Lords mode and found that almost all of my Guardians were missing. Hoping it was a visual glitch and that shutting down to try again after work fixes it, otherwise that’s hundreds of hours since the Shadow Lords Beta (and and a good chunk of the KI Gold I got from the Season 3 Ultra Edition) down the drain.

• Input inconsistencies regarding special moves, especially Heavy Linkers/Aerial Specials and ESPECIALLY on Hisako for whatever reason.

• The “Skins” section of the “Store and Collection” menu only displays Shadow and Mimic skins now. The sections dedicated to the Terror/Gold skins have disappeared.

These issues were not present when I was playing on the same console a few days prior. Any assistance/clarification would be greatly appreciated.

I was only able to download the update for the Steam version of the game. The game works on this site. Multiplayer works.
But there are problems on the main site:
There is no update in the Microsoft Store for 19.00 on November 29, 2023. The game does not work - it requires downloading an update. but there is no update in the store.

Yeah so this what I came across with, and this is how I solved it.

The game automatically updates to the anniversary edition. if you uninstall and reinstall the game, it should work. That’s how I did it.

1 Like

I hadn’t had any issues until about an hour ago, but now the game keeps crashing and sometimes won’t start back up unless I restart my console. It’s the og Xbox one (I have no money.)
Other software is working just fine, it’s just KI giving me trouble today :confused:

Update: I found a highly specific scenario that seems to make the game crash every single time. Vs CPU mode, playing as Kilgore with the CPU being Jago, specifically in Chinatown Brawl. I’ve swapped out all variables many times, like using these two characters on other stages, changing one or both of the characters ect. Sometimes get crashes in other scenarios but it happens to me every single time it’s those two specifically in that stage. Usually these crashes result in the game not starting up again without a system reboot. Again, this is the original model Xbox One (meaning I’m probably the only person left on earth being affected by this lol)

Hope this is helpful info for ya’ll

3 Likes

Windows 10:

• Upon closing the game, it’s process keep running in Task Manager

• A few times upon launching, game did not recognize any input device, neither controller nor keyboard. Interestingly, Alt + F4 worked for closing it.

Hi, i’m playing KI from my Xbox One and after the update, the game has been crashing on me multible times. Just today (as i’m writing this) 5 times the game has frozen and crashed in a middle of the match. Couple of times it happened after a combo breaker or both me and my opponent using our shadow moves at the same time or just during a combo.

This is a first time this has happened, before the update it was usually a connection issues that would bring me back to the games main menu, but never full on crash to the Xbox main hub.

1 Like

I’m running into the same if not a similar issue. I uninstalled the game, then attempted to install Anniversary Edition, it will not allow me to install, it seams to be a Microsoft Store issue with me. Any assistance would be appreciated.

This is probably because on windows it might be showing you the xbox version.
I had this happen as well- I saw 2 versions of Anv. Ed in the windows store & had to select the 2nd one (which is the PC version). If it says this cannot be installed on this device, that is the wrong version(the xbox one)…

Here is the troubleshooting steps that worked for me:

Players who have previously purchased Killer Instinct from the Microsoft Store will need to uninstall the game and reinstall it. If you’re having trouble finding the game, do a search for “Killer Instinct” in the Microsoft Store and select the version of the Anniversary Edition for PC (the Xbox console version is also visible via the Microsoft Store on PC). This should solve most access issues.

1 Like

Thank you for flagging this & adding repro & system info!
Is there any specific action/move being done by you as Kilgore or the CPU as Jago when this happens?

1 Like

Its still not allowing me to install it. Selecting the second Anniversary Edition option in the Microsoft Store. the Install button won’t proceed to download.

When selecting the regular Killer Instinct app to install it says “Try the download again, something wrong on our end”. I do not get this prompt when selecting Anniversary Edition.