Troubleshooting for Killer Instinct Anniversary Edition - Patch 3.11.14

I have a crash when playing and quitting local matches. I’m playing on the Steam version, but this crash also occurs in the previous version of the game, 3.11.11. I used Steam to re-download the previous version, to take screenshots for comparing the graphics changes. My computer was unplugged from the internet while I was taking the screenshots in the older version.

It seems the bug pretty consistently happens if I start a local match with one player on keyboard and another on controller, and then quickly go back to character select and start another match. Doing a local match with two controllers does not cause this issue.

This bug has also corrupted my save file more than once, which is not great. I think it somehow crossed up my Steam and Windows Store progression, which I don’t understand. I’m redownloading the Windows Store version now to check.

EDIT: The Windows Store is Worthless Trash so I can’t even launch the game on there. I’m sure that’s not a problem you can solve, blame the feckless cheapskates at Microsoft for that. I might need someone to look at my account on Xbox Live to confirm if some of my save data was indeed crossed between versions.

Hi previous crash issue is now solved on steam with Windows 8.1. Thanks.

I have another issue now: ultratech server cannot sync.

Please solve this

Here is a screen.

We will reach out through direct message for support.

Feedback with images received. Thank you for reporting in. We will investigate the issues you’re encountering with anti-aliasing as well.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting back and flagging this other issue. We are investigating.

1 Like

Thank you for taking time to look into it. I understand that visual enhancements usually mean taking a toll on system requirements. I know i would be propably much to ask at this stage of KI life, but consider maybe implementing some kind of “performance mode”, which would basically reduce graphical fidelity to minimum, like, disabling shadows entirely, etc.

1 Like

Since we’re in the mood for improvements, it would be really cool to get back some details that were lost with the transition from S2 to S3.
In many stages, things like the clouds shadow (Jago stage), the water effect on characters (Thunder, Spinal, Hisako stages), the green eerie glow (Spinal Stage) or the orange glow (Cinder stage) have disappeared.
In addition to this, many details were drowned in black crush when the contrast has been increased, for example the objects during the ultra stage in Kan Ra’s stage all seem black, and also several metal surfaces such as Rash’s motorbike appear practically black even in other stages (Aganos stage) while in the Tusk stage everything seems veiled by a whitish layer.
Look how much detail was lost by darkening everything: https://youtu.be/XvjpHOmM1HY?si=pILosNn3JMLcxlK2
Last but not least, the exaggerated desire to turn everything purple made us lose the S1/S2 shadow move effect which was the coolest thing ever seen in a fighting game. Each move had its own precise appearance, each color variant and each customization object gave a different result that other fighting games still dream of today.
All lost in honor of the ■■■■ purple everywhere, moves, bars, menu…even the shadow characters made completely purple cancel out the magnificent work done by the character designers by flattening everything.
Obviously I won’t be listened but I wanted to say it and it was worth a try.
Sorry for the wall of text

2 Likes

Good morning!
I hope you are well!
We still have some problems. On a friend’s Xbox Series X, he’s still having issues accessing Multiplayer mode. He has uninstalled and reinstalled the game several times and nothing happens. In my game (Series S), I’m not able to join some Steam player lobbies. We’ve already tried changing the name of the room, the players, leaving the room public and nothing. In the Steam version we noticed that the game is slower, as if it had lag, and we used the Thunder scenario to play.
I know how much attention you pay to the game and to us, the players. And I know it may take some time, but they will fix these problems.
Ah… One more small favor: No more nerfs to Fulgore, OK?
I thank you for your attention and dedication!
A big hug!

Thanks for reaching out LizMk35BR.

Can we have a little bit more information?

For your friend, which multiplayer modes is he encountering issues with? What issues is he facing?

For you, is there any common reason you’re encountering issues in specific Steam player lobbies vs others?

1 Like

Goodnight! :blush:
I talked to my friend, and he reported that the problem is with the game server (Xbox Series X). I had already mentioned this to James on Twitter. He can’t access online mode (Exhibition and Ranking mode), and that’s what he uses most. Gamertag: Craftiermagno.
About my problem on Steam is the connection to a specific room, as I play with the Xbox Series S version (LizMk35BR), with my youngest son on the Steam version (W1l_t0n) and a friend (Escanor), also on Steam. I’ll do another test later and try to connect to their room, and see if it’s a connection problem with the Steam player or Nat compatibility, which I saw could be one of the problems.
I will send feedback on the status of my Steam connection today.
Thank you for your help!
Long live for Killer Instinct! :heart:

Good morning.
Yesterday I managed to connect to the lobby, however, there was one time when the game crashed and disconnected the player from the lobby, and another time the game crashed and closed itself. It happened to both me (Xbox Series S) and my friend (Steam), only once for each. The gameplay became more slower in some fights.The Steam performance test was OK.
Shadow Survival Mode and Shadow challenge in Shadow Lords mode working normally. :heart:
I will keep you informed if any problems persist.
As for my friend, Craftiermagno, he sent a video yesterday, where he goes into ranking mode, but can’t find players, even after minutes of searching.
This message appears every time he searches, being a server error.

Thank you for the post! Did not know the video existed. I’ve been searching for this for a while. Based on the videos (I’ve watched) I am too thinking, that (for the most part) pre-S3 stages look more alive, natural, more realistic (lightning) and conveys that original KI ambience.

Ultimately S2 was the best thing, happened in (to) KI (besides Hisako). Even heard Max saying, that some graphical features had to be dropped due to xBox not handling it properly. Now the game looks like any other ordinary one and reminds me a lot of MKX atmosphere.

Would you be able to give example of this?

The shadow moves were like ink afterimages melting in water

The water effect can be seen here https://youtu.be/5WGkWTrOxM4?si=w17oTyFcCZER82Bu
In Thunder’s stage the effect was triggered if both characters were at their second lifebar, the rain would increase then showing the effect if I recall. Or perhaps it was only after an Ultra…anyway, just look at how the water moves over our Chief body after his last ultra combo. The same effect could be seen right from the start in Spinal and Hisako’s stages…it was very well noticeable with Jago’s tattoos for example.
Youtube video quality was low but if you look during characters close ups you can see the effect on Spinal and Jago even in the Spinal’s trailer https://youtu.be/MRX3rnIm0ss?si=_oSyQc3sap38qw4Q
In short, too much purple everywhere! If they felt the shadow moves were too confusing they could have lowered the effect a bit without making it completely purple.

For the black crush on objects, you can see the ultra stage on Kan Ra’s stage and how the mummy, candlestick, etc, were much better visible than they are now.
before https://youtu.be/i2AtmvN4gqA?si=T9SUxkQIkVjp0pOk
now https://youtu.be/w8BfLIGHtBs?si=lhWdJDVwDfkI12oE
The lighting system was changed again at a point, improving some things but not all the problems have been solved, perhaps it concerns the materials management in the 3D engine, I don’t know.
Man, look at the menus https://youtu.be/6pcG1rNtiUU?si=gBEORYrAiPh0gMS_ red blood melting, and a miracle: you can see the legs of your customized character! No colorde smoke covering the characters models and the colors.
Let’s not get it wrong, a lot of things things have improved from during the Seasons, the resolution for example, but many cool and unique things have been completely lost.
Just my opinion anyway and to be clear: despite everything I’ve said and the lack of a proper arcade ladder for all the characters or an endless mode, I consider Killer Instinct still the best fighting game of all time.

2 Likes

Yeah the old shadow moves were great because they were an upgraded interpretation of the original arcade shadow moves where a series of after images of the character would appear in a trail behind them. Replacing that with purple mist was always baffling to me, I wish it could be a toggleable option to use either one.

2 Likes

@UltraSupport You guys completely broke the performance on my mid spec machine. I can’t pass the performance test.

did you try changing the antialias from FSR2 back to SMAA?

Thank you for all the clarifications and it would be great, if I would eventually find which elements has been cut-out to raise performance. At least I remember Max mentioning Jago stage, bell and Ultra or something in that direction.

Perhaps I would rather prefer Shadow-moves as they are now, since ink-like graphics may become confusing.

It was also interesting to know, that KI2013 Shadow-moves are traditional continuation from KI Arcade.

If you haven’t noticed S2 character select menu previews leg as well and in much more depth. It is also the conventional menu layout for FGs. Currently it is a bit troublesome for some characters to recognise, if I picked the right outfit because the leg are not visible.

Indeed at the moment there is a bit too much of (royal) purple in the game right now. Character select screen seems to be suffering the most of all. (Reminds me of some-kind of black-hole or dark-damp basement). And actually I was thinking about why couldn’t they make menus purple only (besides char. select). Now I notice, that some menus has lost their clarity. Somehow monotony blurrifies menus (perhaps it is a matter of color choice). (Eventually I wasn’t a fan of KI pre-match menus anyway).

On the other side, the thing that really surprised me after the latest update is that performance seem to be returned to pre initial AE update, if not higher. However my PC barely survives performance test, only 1028 points. Before update 3.11.14, with poor performance PC might have scored as twice as this, if not more. Anyway it was much more above required 1000.

In case if anyone haven’t noticed there are tweaks made now and then even, if an update haven’t been officially announced.

1 Like

Hello. I have this weird issue with the windows 10 version of this game on PC. I can play the game just fine, but if I exit out the game, just about every other game I play after a few minutes begins to lag horribly. The reason I am bringing this issue to this forum is that the windows 10 version of KI is the only game that does this to my PC. I’ve tried the steam version of KI and I don’t have these issues. I’ve reinstalled the windows 10 version of KI and it creates this behavior consistently. I can still play many other games with higher spec requirements just fine so long as I don’t play windows 10 KI. I’ve also updated graphics drivers before and after the behavior, so I don’t think it’s a graphics driver issue.

When this issue occurs, weirdly enough, the GPU memory and RAM memory seem to be just fine, so I don’t think it’s a memory leak. I do notice my CPU usage during games will run roughly 15% higher once the stuttering begins. Also, when it occurs, it’s only during gameplay that it lags. If I go into a menu of a game, say Halo MCC for example, the lag stops. But the minute I resume normal gameplay (firing guns, moving etc. for the halo example) the lag comes immediately back.

At least I can still play the steam version of KI in the interim, however, I’d like to go back to the windows 10 version once I can figure out what’s happening, since that’s where my skins and rank status are at the moment.

Here’s some PC specs that might help. Please let me know if you need more info and I can provide it:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM: 32.0 GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB March 5th 2024 Driver package

Since Anniversary update, KI tends to not close itself fully. After closing KI, check Details tab in Task Manager, if KI process isn’t running.

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out and the explanation. We’re going to direct message you to try and collect more information if that’s alright.