Troubleshooting for Killer Instinct Anniversary Edition - Patch 3.11.14

Hello, Killers.

The 3.11.14 update will be live today at 1 PM PST/4 PM EST. It contains fixes to a number of balance, graphics, and stability issues, and also includes some brand-new visual enhancements to get Killer Instinct looking even better on your PC and Xbox.

Link to the Patch Notes: Patch Notes 3.11.14 - Killer Instinct

Please use this thread for troubleshooting support for this patch. Look to share which platform you’re on, (i.e. Xbox Series S|X, Windows PC, Steam, Steam Deck), and attach any relevant screenshots or info that you think might be helpful.

Thank you. Our support team will respond through @UltraSupport.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is the thread to do it, but I have clips of some bugs from Eyedol that have been present pretty much since his release that I would love for you all to take a look at and hopefully resolve. They involve PIP usage (specifically Warrior PIPs) that get used up either at the end of some combos, or used up when you’re in mage form. I haven’t found any consistency other than some PIPs being used after an ender is used.

This next clip has interactions with Mage form st.Mp, back.Mp, st.Hp, and Shadow Lightning ALL losing or trading with Shadow Jagos shadow endokouken. If it’s considered a punishment, you lose about 25% or more health during this trade. It’s not here, but all versions of Stomp Strike also have this interaction with the shadow fireball version.

I love and appreciate the support this community gets and love to see that you all are still trying to balance this game out as best as possible for the dedicated players. It’s great to see all of these other characters getting some quality of life changes, and bug fixes, so I am hoping these also get fixed. Losing resources your character has for no actual reason hurt. It’s not game breaking, but very situational, and can be a factor to a win or a loss in some cases.

Please excuse any audio or any of my complaining during the clips, I was rather upset that it was happening pretty often on that particular night I managed to clip them all.

<3 you all

2 Likes

2 Likes

Is anyone having trouble downloading the update on the windows version? so far it keeps saying that it started downloading with no progress for the past 5-10 minutes. It’s also unresponsive to me pausing the download on the microsoft store.

Nothing still seems to be downloading even if i try to restart it multiple times or use the Xbox app to download it instead. The closest I’ve gotten is a 0% downloading bar that doesn’t move.

Edit: I got it fixed with some help from a developer by logging out of my profile, restarting the computer, and logging back in.

1 Like

The game looks to be running in 1920x1080 resolution with 3840x2160 / borderless selected. The discrepancy is displayed on the performance test results screen. With fullscreen “off,” the test result shows 3840x2160.

Hello, I currently am experiencing a crash that is happening as soon as I launch the game. I don’t even get the Microsoft splash screen. It opens up to a black screen and instantly crashes. It’s a fresh install on a brand new PC. I’m downloading it through Xbox game pass on Windows 11.

Thank you for the 4 videos and the description. We’ll log this information for investigation.

Glad to hear it got sorted! Let us know if you’re having any other troubles.

1 Like

Hi @Centri, may we ask what version of the game you are playing? Windows or Steam? Please also report what resolution your desktop is.

Hi @anthonyhowhard, we’re going to reach out through direct message to gather more information.

Unfortunately I’m still being connected to people I’ve blocked! I’ve played almost daily since I got my Xbox in 2014. Over the years I’ve blocked quite a few people.
The main two reasons all block somebody is there way better than I’ll ever be and have multiple Stars next to their name. Or they just have a bad connection to me and lag everywhere. Both things irritate me to no end. So instead of dealing with it I blocked them and move on. With blocking not working over the last couple of patches it’s absolutely ruined my fun.
Last month for the first time in many years I reset my killer rank.
12000 some odd wins and 7000 losses. I did this to test if the pool of players would be different and I would have more fun. Indeed this was so. I stopped seeing so many people with stars that I’ve blocked over the years and started having fun.
Made my way back up to kill her and immediately started getting put against people I’ve blocked with stars/lag.

I’m a casual player who over the years is decent with the vast majority of the cast. That said I am not a pro player I’m old and getting older by the minute. It drives me bonkers to get against a player who obviously is way better than me they have multiple Stars next to their name.
Obviously top players have invested time and effort into finding the most optimals combos. They utilize hard knockdowns and throws.
Everybody can play how they want but to me that’s not fun.

Sorry for the rant but I’m very passionate about this franchise always have been! I’m glad all these years later it’s getting some spit and polish but breaking the my block list is driving me nuts.

Tldr: the block list doesn’t work and if I blocked you I had good reason. Please fix ASAP!

Do you have DPI scaling on in Windows? You might be able to fix this problem by

Going to the folder where the game’s installed,
Right clicking the game EXE and going to Properties
Go to the Compatibility tab and click on “Change high DPI settings”
Ticking both check boxes, and hitting OK to apply the changes.

1 Like

Hey Busted, it’s actually working as intended. They removed the blocklist due to people using it to manipulate Ranked. Per the devs I’ve talked to they are working on a long term resolution, but that will be on a later patch.

Thanks Dinjoralo! This sounds to be a good solution to solve your issue and maintain your windows scaling options @Centri.

We alternatively recommend entering your display settings to check out your selected Windows Scaling options. If the scaling choices don’t match the 100% recommended or recommended Display Resolution for your monitor, it may impact your in-game resolution.

We are looking into this for a future update where your windows settings won’t impact your in-game settings as a heads up!

Well that really stinks. I understand where the devs are coming from. Unfortunately until they come up with a solution I’m done. 10 years of playing almost daily.
I’ve reached my skill level cap. In my opinion I’ve earned the rank of Killer. However sticking me against players with multiple stars who are definitely better than me isn’t fun.
For whatever reason ki loves to connect me to people in South America. There are a lot of great players down there but I don’t connect well to them. As mentioned previously my router shows the location and ping of the players I’m playing against.
People in Brazil can have crazy high ping. 200ms or more.

When Killer Instinct is having a difficult time with the Ping the game looks jittery. I’m sure most of us have been into a match where we buttons just don’t seem to work. Inputs come out late or just not at all. It takes the fun out of the game. There are a handful of players that I’m sure most of us are very well aware of that when we connect to them somehow they’re able to do crazy stuff and yet nothing of ours works.

Ranked has always been a casual mode for me. Normally I jam music in the background and just try to have a good time. Now when I hop on I’m immediately put against the same group of people that have stars next to their name and can kick my butt all over the place. The other half of the time I’m finding people from across the world that have high ping. It wasn’t like this before the anniversary update. Over the years I had blocked the vast majority of players way above my pay grade. Or ones that have just terrible connection to me.

It made the game casually fun to play. I was still challenged by plenty of players and got my butt kicked all the time. However it felt way more even. I’ve never thought it was a good idea to have players that have earned a star in the same pool as players who haven’t.
Some may say the solution to this is just go play and lobbies or exhibition.
However, what I find fun is playing somebody and then moving on to somebody else. I don’t want to have to back out or fight the same pool of players over and over.

The only solution I see is a game mode where I can essentially play like it’s ranked but it not be ranked. Where we can have a quick set that’s two out of three and then move on to the next player.
Obviously this won’t happen until the next game or season 4.
Oh well all good things come to an end.

Thanks @Dinjoralo & @UltraSupport … that fixed it! Fight on!

Just an FYI- we are working on adding a new blocklist solution that will roll out on the next patch.
We could not get it done for the one we just released, just know that we really do care about this and had to come up with new tech to make this work in the new services.
Additionally, we have other fixes around this coming, I just cannot cover the details here yet.

4 Likes

Do we really need mandatory updated cinematics? 87gb install size is very huge for Series S internal 300gb SSD. I keeped game for years on external HDD, but now its too heavy to stay.

@UltraSupport My game will not pass the performance test after this latest update. I was doing just fine for over 10 years and now this, please consider looking into matter of optimisation after these new changes.

Also, what I noticed - anti aliasing settings is NOT present in list of settings after performance test. Also, it seems like turning it off does not work.

EDIT: Here is screenshot of Anti Aliasing option after performance test. Clearly something is not right with it:

EDIT 2: Platform is Win10.

1 Like