To arms! Maximilian's call for a new KI

Eh, I dunno…different strokes for different folks & all. I mean I know mechanics are king and all, but in a lot of cases I think people criticizing the aesthetic direction of the game is just as valid a place to criticize as any, though probably much more difficult to express in an intelligent way. Personally, I really don’t care much for Glacius’s redesign and never have, and I would be disappointed if they continued to push farther away from the original guy made out of ice look and more towards the malnourished Halo Elite in ice look he has now.
But if someone’s just whining because Thunder’s culturally insensitive original design isn’t included, or Orchid’s butt isn’t hanging out enough, yeah, that’s different than saying a 2-headed cycloptic satyr design for Eyedol would be preferred over a troll with its head split in two.

and for the record, I haven’t slept, so if this post just seems like an incoherent mess, I apologize.

1 Like

Probably because it often works. I’m fine with the idea of consumers rallying to fix something in a bad state, especially if it involves shoddy business practices, but fire and fury has become the de-facto way it operates unfortunately even over the smallest issues.

I think people are so attached to entertainment properties and hobbies these days, alongside a major lack of emotional maturity in general, that they can’t cope with it disappointing them with anything other than petty dramatics and attacks. I’ve seen some say no one gets hurt and the ends justify the means, but I suspect there’s a cost to mentality and relationships in all the noise and squabbling. It’s definitely embarassing to watch, for sure.

2 Likes

Yeah this is basically what I mean. It seems as if actually liking something is a crime these days.

That’s probably under the mentality that if you don’t shun a game or developer for the transgressions associated with them, you’re at best an enabler or otherwise actively part of the problem.

i think this issue you are speaking of is also further exacerbated with social media, especially twitter. that platform is digital cancer, and all it takes is 1 fool with a hashtag idea to start a snowball effect of some kind. sure some things are worth speaking up against, but not everything is worth making a dev team’s bad day far worse.

people to this day, still go ballistic when a huge game launches and the servers are taking the brunt of massive simultaneous connections causing it to go belly up. we’ve been playing games for how long now that things like this should be expected? X game launches, people cant connect! here come the youtube videos, hot takes, twitter, everything.

5 Likes

I’m not making a brand-new thread for this, but a mini-quiz and confirmation that KI is a “popular Xbox franchise” was included in this week’s Bing email. :scream_cat:

-Zenek

PS. #MarcusFenixConfirmedFighter30 :skull:

7 Likes

you’re completely right, I just get tired of people that instead of staying on topic they always wanna talk crap in a neverending passive aggressive way, then the people who actually give them what they deserve get their stuff muted, it’s backwards logic in today’s society.

However you are right, me responding to that garbage does nothing but lower the thread to their level, my bad dude. I shouldn’t let the miserable people in KI of which there are tons for some stupid reason drag the mood down. I never used to say anything to anybody online for about my first 3000 games of which I’ve only played around 5000 I think. I would lose about 80 to 90% of the time just trying to learn, never mashed, gimmicked, did any ultras, nothing, just tried to block and learn. And almost 70 to 80 percent of the games people were spamming tbags, taunts, triple ultras, ultimates constantly throughout the whole match. That was back in s1 when I tried to start playing but didn’t end up having time til some of a few weeks of s2 and mostly mid s3 is when I had more time to play.

This was before I ever posted a word on this forum or anybody even knew who I was, this community has been so miserable since it started, even the top players were known for most people not liking them. People would rather just mash/bag/3xultra/talk crap than try to learn or just have a better attitude about the game. If people wanna continue to drag the community down with this constant miserable attitude about any the game or any healthy honest conversation, Ill just drip from the forums except only to find info about in game stuff.

Side note, is there a way to ignore people on these forums?

We’re going to keep this thread on topic.
Final warning.

4 Likes

Too bad there’s not much on topic to talk about. People supported the hashtag for as long as they could and now we just have to wait and see what happens.

I still think we’re going to see something at E3 next year, or whenever we see the Scarlet launch lineup.

Hard disagree. The topic lends itself very easily into discussing both present state of the game and community as well as discussing potential avenues a hypothetical sequel might take. Along those lines:

I would actually be on board for a number of gameplay simplifications, both character-specific and system wise. I would probably axe flipouts, as I think KI is already a fast/dirty game with a lot of decisions-per-moment that doesn’t really need to be sped up any more. I think the breaker system as-is is pretty darn close to perfection, but I’d be game to see if the devs could maybe think to throw another wrinkle in it the same way they introduced counterbreakers and strong reset rewards in this one. I don’t know what could be added to give this extra “spice”, but it’d be cool if the devs could pull it off.

Also on the core gameplay side I think it’d be neat to see some additional uses of meter. I’d like shadow counters to be evolved somehow, or for there to perhaps be other ways to use meter defensively. It’d be pretty cool to see multi-meter applications that allow the player to decide between dumping more or all of their resources, versus choosing to save that meter for use in neutral or a different defensive application should they get in a bad spot. Perhaps even something like a “shadow breaker”, allowing a player to break any combo, regardless of strength, at the cost of a large portion of shadow or even instinct. Basically, just the idea that if offense is going to be insane, let the player force their way out of it if they’re willing to spend resources.

On the character front, I think I’d like to see them tone down some of the insane setplay and shenanigans that got introduced as the title got bigger and bigger. I think characters with strong and instant “eff neutral” tools should be left out of the first round of the roster, and in general I’d like to see some of those types of options have more risk to them generally. Fulgore teleporting in place until he teleports behind you for a DP/throw mixup is just kind of silly, and Shago being able to control huge swathes of the screen only to instantly appear behind you is a bit much, even late in the game’s life. I’d like to see options like that go away entirely, but at the very least they should be added very sparingly on top of an already healthy and “solid” round of characters. Which is honestly what this KI did, though I think it ultimately may have slid a bit too far into “wouldn’t it be cool if…” territory near the very end.

The idea behind some of the shenanigan and setplay reduction would be to reinvigorate/reward more patient styles of play that kind of fell to the wayside as KI 2013 matured. Glacius and Kan-Ra, two of the more traditional zoners in the cast, are basically mix-up grapplers the second they touch you when played at high level, and I don’t know that they could realistically compete with much of the cast were it otherwise. I’d like to see their neutral tools (with some combo-ing in between) be sufficient to compete at high level in the next title. Keepaway should be a valid playstyle for at least a few characters, and that isn’t possible if too much of the cast can just entirely ignore such attempts.

So yeah, those are some of my ideas of what I’d like to see in a new KI. It is important to note however that if character tools were to get reduced as I talk about above, it would likely have the knock-on effect of making some of my system suggestions unnecessary. Defensive uses of meter become much less important as offensive options get reduced, so as ever balancing those two out to provide both depth and fun is what’s most important. This KI is already a great example of how a bunch of ish that isn’t remotely “fair” can still be an absolute blast to play with and against :slight_smile:

I’d be curious to hear your thoughts @Infilament. We’ve discussed game theory before, and I’m curious if there’s anything you would like to see in particular for a hypothetical new KI :thinking:

2 Likes

The only thing I care about is that they bring back everyone from the last game. Reuse assets if you have to. Having the entire previous roster at launch, only to be expanded apon as the new game’s seasons go on, will be perfect for getting new people into the game. They can see the scope of what can be done with KI. Maybe include some sort of “custom pass” feature. Where you can buy an 8-character pass, a 16-character Pass, etc. and you can pick exactly who you want in it from the launch roster.

1 Like

I’d like that, But as long as I have my top 3 I’ll be fine with the roster.

1. Riptor
  2. Glacius
  3. Sabrewulf

Even so, it ain’t KI without the others too.

2 Likes

One thing I would like to see in a new KI is a blood toggle. I know I’ve been championing this for quite awhile for KI3, but with the streaming/ video posting scene being pretty big now, I know for a fact that at least YouTube’s algorithms, if not other sites as well, are so geared towards the commercially viable family friendly end of the spectrum now that if KI didn’t have certain media-friendly options like a blood toggle put in place it would just be buried like how it has with Mortal Kombat 11.

ill just stick to finding out in game info from now on.

Would KI benefit from what MK11 did with its meter? I didn’t really like timed meter when they introduced the idea, but it has warmed on me since I picked up the game.

Would KI “benefit” from an MK11 style meter? No idea. I mirror your feelings on the auto-regen meter almost exactly - didn’t like it at first, but think that it works quite well in practice and has interesting applications.

But while I don’t know that KI would be “better” with such a change, I do know that it would be “different”. MK11’s meter mechanics change its nature relative to other NRS titles, and I have to imagine it would similarly change some of how KI works. Without knowing exactly how those differences shake out I’d say that I would rather they simply evolve the current system as oppose to overhauling it.

KI is already a pretty meter-intensive game in that you build a lot of bars (5-6 per game) and those meters tend to see a lot of use in all contexts. While I’d like to see those uses expanded and deepened, I don’t know that I think the match flow needs to be changed. Timed meters promote certain options just as “meter only on hit, but more meter on block” promotes certain options, but for KI I think I like the latter. That’s just me though.

1 Like

The one thing I like about the timed meter in MK11 is that it’s easy to explain. The end result is nearly the same as KI - meter is available frequently and predictably for you to use but you have to keep an eye on it and not waste it. But explaining to someone that you build meter by hitting your opponent and that you get more meter if they block and some moves build more meter and when they build it… It just seems more complicated than it needs to be. Especially if what you want is the result that both games seem to get.

All this MK11 y’all reminds me of something I really want from KI. Cinematic super moves. MK does them. Tekken does them. Even Street Fighter does them to a certain degree. And I want to see what KI could do with them.

And I don’t mean as finishers like Ultras and Ultimates. I mean something you can do just in the match.

Also I know they’d never do this because of ratings. But No Mercy’s would be nice.