To arms! Maximilian's call for a new KI

I respond to you the way I do because in nearly every comment on these forums you say something like the above. Sweeping generalizations about gameplay “facts” married to weakness as a player isn’t the greatest mixture, and you combine that with an almost impressive stubbornness about the validity/unassailability of your position. If you repeatedly make sweeping assertions that are demonstrably untrue, then you probably won’t elicit the best responses.

But what do I know? I’m just a child that designs jet engines. :upside_down_face:

NOTE: as I am effectively in the middle of the conversation here, I will leave the resolution of all moderation flags and notes to the other members of the mod team. At the very least however, Oki is correct that we should drive the thread back to the topic statement.

I think a few characters in the game could have still used some minor additional tuning, espepcially concerning some apparent bugs and quality of life issues that can kinda mess up some character options, but it is what it is.

you can blabber all you want storm and always try to change the topic when it doesn’t suit you, but every time you talk to me you’re trying to talk crap, its that simple, its always some way this or that you find to turn it into you blabbering. I was talking about how online is and KI’s future and somehow that STILL reverted back to you talking crap to me for the 15th time. Give it up already and please don’t ever talk to me again, you’re very immature. Grats on your job, what does that have to do with maturity?

The state of KI’s online/future has nothing to do with how bad/good I am as a player, seriously, what the hell? I understand a lot of people tend to be closet haters and don’t have the nuts to just come out and say it because it would expose how two faced they are, but take that mess elsewhere. You don’t like me, cool, I sure don’t like you, and I’ll say it, I’m not here to act unlike a lot of people, leave it at that and move on.

Can somebody tell me how to ignore people on here if possible? I’d rather just block people from now on then respond to and continue feeding childish responses/haters.

everything you respond with is passive aggressive, just like him, aka fake people. Ive seen how you pull that with a bunch of others on these forums too, I tried to be nice to you originally because I never met you and I’m usually not one to involve myself in others business, but a spade is usually a spade, so that’s my bad. “Getting outplayed is losing”, good thing you’re not a fg designer cuz nobody would play whatever you made with that level of understanding, that’s for sure.

Just because you have no understanding of what high level fg play is doesn’t mean it exists in KI, there are a few good players in KI but not very many, that is very much a fact. Judging from your attitude and lack of understanding about what actually consists of skill I’m pretty sure you’re terrible at this game, not that I care however. But that would also agree with why you can’t comprehend the basics, you simply haven’t gotten passed beginner.

The more you play it bro, the more you’ll see how broken and brain dead so much of the cast is, balance or a good competitive environment was never close to achieved in this game. IG always just threw icing around and everybody forgot to look for the cake.

This game is only still good because of the mechanics and every character can compete. However it is much easier for a lot of characters to simply just brain dead to victories where others have to go out and do a much better job of earning it.

ill agree with @STORM179 that it may be time to start bringing the thread back onto the topic at hand. that said, its already been discussed about the current version of KI having enough systems that its already close to being crushed under its own weight. i myself am of that opinion, it has alot going on for it to add more wouldnt be wise. so, now if we were to get a new game what systems do you guys think should make it into the next one? which ones should be cut just to keep it lean and mean?

personally, i wouldnt mind seeing recaptures go the way of the dodo, flip out mechanic to me is pretty good enough for aerial stuff stuff as it opens the mix up game. i also gotta say i wouldnt mind seeing recaptures stay either, i didnt like it very much at the start of S2 but it grew on me eventually

You can’t seem to ever explain how losing is “high level play” and winning is “brain dead, gimmicky” or whatever weird derogatory term you want to make up as you go. I don’t think I could expect this from someone who doesn’t know what passive aggressive is.

I suspect th new KI, if there is one, and whatever they do with it, is not going to make you happy. Because it isn’t going to be built around a system where you win all the time without learning anything. So you might as well get off this train.

4 Likes

the new system should handle ki with no problems whatsoever. That stuff is good, but it seems like way too many characters have flipouts and really easy recaptures that shouldn’t, almost every non cross up char has cross up jump normal which makes zero sense, and there is way too much stuff that is way too plus on offense for far too many chars, with combo breakers being worthless, all that tends to make it into a mash fest instead of use this character in its own way playstyle.

Glacius for one example of which there are endless, shoulder charge into dp, into shadow hail to make it safe into shoulder charge into dp into instinct into repeat, then after the defender blocks all of that he might be able to punish. That’s trash gameplay, stuff like that should never be in fighters. This tends to lead a lot of players to just spam the same garbage brain dead strings like that over and over instead of working on getting better.

This game never got balanced, and that’s why nobody tries to learn, they just want to mash brain dead stuff, this made the online how it is now. Ki was considered a button masher in 2013 and its gotten a lot worse since then, high level KI play was so improbable to reach because the system fights so hard against it.

This game to improve needs a lot of balance, which it’s just not gonna get most likely, maybe if the community keeps it alive someday MS may finish it due to it still showing numbers, that would take a lot of community support and many years to get there if they don’t make a new one probably. Odds are though, new KI or bust at this point.

Reading over all of these past posts, I have a couple things to say.

KI has always been an indie game. The fact that we were blessed with several years of Developer support and growth, as well as several years of EVO support goes to show how solid the game is, no matter how “broken” it can be. Can’t get any more competitive than that to be honest. Most games don’t even make more than 1 year in the spotlight. We had several AND a KI World Cup. Not a lot of games have had that luxury. As for balance…

In my opinion, I’ve always felt like if a game is too balanced, it actually ends up being kind of boring and methodical. Games that have crazy, wacky mixups, lots of visuals and tons of options are the games I feel get the most enjoyment out of people. Balance is very important yes, but there will always be Pros and Cons to every fighting game currently and beyond. However, I’m just one man with an opinion.

Hey OkiKing. I understand that you feel strongly about your opinions, but this really isn’t the way to go. Maybe you should take a break from the forums a bit? It’s really not worth arguing at people on the internet, to be completely honest with you. We can debate, which is perfectly fine, but telling people they have an IQ of a rock and the other things you’ve said in this thread isn’t debating.

As for Everybody in the thread, please stay on topic! KI is a game that we are all passionate about. It’s an interesting topic that I’m glad is getting some spotlight, given the recent events of Maximillian Dood’s #BringbackKI stand. We all love this game, and want to support it to hopefully have another sequel, since there isn’t a game out there like KI. This being said, I will be watching these posts a bit more carefully.

Have fun, and #BringbackKI :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Safe block strings are not unusual - and what you describe requires resources. And I’m pretty sure you can throw Glacius out of shoulder charge. Knowing when it’s your turn and when you have to hold pressure while your opponent does everything they can to mess with your head and keep their turn going is pretty much fighting games. KI is filled with “dirty” options for making moves safe, including popping instinct. These have always been in the game and they are the definition of “balanced” since everyone can do them. You don’t have to like the mechanic but it’s not imbalanced nor is it bread dead. KI puts a heavy mental load on players to keep track of their own and their opponents meter. It’s taxing and I understand why you have trouble with it. But it’s not brain dead. It’s pretty much the opposite.

I know I can be ornery sometimes, but this is the kind of stuff that really aggravates me. One person in this thread has consistently violated the Forum rules. Name calling, repeatedly posting insults in posts that are devoid of any other content, and then injecting politics into the discussion in clear violation of the forum guidelines: And everyone ELSE is supposed to respond with measured, on topic responses because we are too nice to kick out the trouble maker.

2 Likes

It’s still a AAA title. Microsoft owns the IP and funded it’s development.

Being a big company’s title doesnt mean a game is a AAA. Microsoft owns Viva Piñata, and I’m sure nobody called it AAA by any mean

AAA games are games which are developed by big companies, having higher development and marketing budgets.

KI had none, compared to other AAA games. Its marketing always was almost non existent(surelly the Killer word is an issue here), and the seasonal approach is there for economic reasons: its first season was cheap to develop(6 chars+2 dlc) , and subsequent seasons got timed characters releases since it was cheaper to release 3 seasons over several years(and stop in s1 or 2 if it wasnt profitable) than develop a bigger game.

I hope to be wrong, but I believe KI is an unique product born and evolved under really extraordinary circumstances which resulted in the game it is now. I dont think this can be repeated with the same charm

2 Likes

There’s a lot of this sort of talk every time you post, but all you do is indicate you have much less understanding of (or skill at) KI2013 than you think you do. You also prove you have zero ability to have a constructive and polite conversation with the community.

Don’t continue these habits.

1 Like

I’m not sure that the AAA vs “indie” title debate makes sense to have. It’s a first party developed game and we don’t really know it’s budget - although we can guess that they got less money than Gears 5. If I recall correctly, KI’s development came out of what used to be Xbox Live Arcade and those games were generally lower budget, smaller, games that were often referred to as Indie whether they were independently made or not. In the end, the labels don’t do much to better define expectations for the game.

It’s pretty clear to me that KI was initiated to make a splash for the Xbox One launch (mission accomplished) and that the design parameters for the game (originally described by Kenn Lobb in interviews as a “platform” that MS would support indefinitely) changed over time. To their undying credit, in my opinion, MS allocated their creative and material resources to fighters and gameplay, above all else. In the end, this meant some of the “production value” suffered and left the game with incomplete or uneven story modes and things like ultimates and costumes. I think this was the right call. And, for example, having four amazing Season 3 stages makes more sense to me than introducing more but lower quality backgrounds at that stage in the game.

I think a reasonable assessment is that the DH buyout by Amazon majorly disrupted the development plan for the game, and frankly I think the MS team did an incredible job providing continuity to the development of the game.

The end result is definitely rough around the edges. There’s no point in denying it. But the gameplay and the the characters for KI are so superior to any previous iteration of the series that I feel all involved in the project should be incredibly proud. When you see a KI tournament streamed it is absolutely up there with the best modern fighters. I don’t sit there wondering what the budget was.

2 Likes

shadow counter, thats what you need to do to put these things in check. best thing against a glacius is to not let him play. you’re letting him play, dont do that lmao

button mashers make mistakes, just block and wait for them to do something unsafe on block and then punish them for over 60% because its highly likely theyre going to lock out on you. or just counter breaker because they’re pushing buttons. cmon man

i think you should play tekken 7, the challenge of that game is quite high and it requires you to think alot more compared to other fighting games because there is so much going on. its certainly helped me out alot for KI even if they are vastly different as well as the pace being alot faster here. but it teaches you to be patient, to be more situationally aware, and you’ll read your opponents much better.

really though, im most likely wasting my breath, i think you’re a troll. however, im bored at work so i got nothin better to do than throw you some nom noms to reply and flail at

2 Likes

I got about 60% of the way through Bad Blood on the plane. What’s interesting is how long they were a train wreck while actually trying to do what they promised before they started to flat out hustle people. There’s also a lesson in how easy it is for people to believe because of wishful thinking. It’s one thing for a bunch of college dropouts to pioneer new spaces - computers in the 80s, internet companies in the 90’s/00’s, but it’s quite another to think a 22 year old dropout is going to scoop a very mature field like medical testing. And they wanted to believe so badly that not only did they not do their due diligence but they actively shot down people who warned them about serious red flags.

I’m coming to think that the power of wishful thinking in facilitating bad decisions is immeasurable. To bring this back to KI, people had/have very unrealistic expectations about what can be done and even when they are warned to temper their expectations they don’t actually believe it until they see it. And then when they see it, they get mad about all the things the game doesn’t do.

2 Likes

yeah its crazy isnt it? i think thats typically how it goes when someone is trying to invent and innovate something new. the intentions start off just and proper, but the chance of it going sideways and towards the hustle is always there. what happened was ambition overshadowing realistic expectations from holmes’ side, failures during development piled up and so did the lies. meanwhile i believe investors began to suffer sunk cost fallacy hoping the project would finally hit the break through that was promised. its been a while since i read the book, i may refresh on it now because the case is really interesting.

when you mention people being shot down, i believe i recall that the work environment being bred there became so toxic that coworkers actively ratted naysayers out to sunny balwani who would dole out firings. a bunch of these people were young, fresh out of universities, eyes bright for their future. then they wound up at theranos and may have had their aspirations permanently destroyed.

its quite similar to forums of various games that we play, where you have the hardcore fans of said game actively shooting down or running off people with proper and legitimate criticisms that need to be addressed. it seems this mentality is no stranger to any field or form of entertainment that has a community behind it. i believe we certainly experienced this here on this forum and i may be guilty of it myself which im happy to admit and acknowledge

1 Like

I’m not sure anything more needs to be said after this. Some characters are annoying especially in certain matchups, but that doesn’t mean you can’t learn better strategies against them and have fun. You’re also don’t have to suffer them all the time so why not focus on enjoying the matchups you like, if nothing else? Every single FG ever made has these frustrations, and I’d argue KI is downright mild about them compared to games like Guilty Gear where corner pressure and zoning strings are absolute bonkers for certain characters.

1 Like

I think some of the mentality carries over. But I think complaining about a game online is a lot different than pointing out problems in the workplace. I don’t look out across the gaming landscape and think the problems are caused by not enough people being allowed to complain. I think it’s the opposite. People have developed this idea that if they just campaign loudly enough they can get anything they want from game developers. It started with the Mass Effect 3 ending and it’s gotten worse and worse.

If people are complaining about games not working or having bad netcode, that’s something that makes sense and should be talked about. If people are complaining that they don’t like the color of outfit two or the way move x interacts with move y… that’s something else. I don’t know it’s hard to describe what’s in and out of bounds but it’s easy to know when you see it.