Thoughts or tips on getting away from combo assist?

Just out of curiosity, what’s making you want to drop CAM? The system is expressly designed so that you kinda don’t have to drop it, so interested what it is about it that’s making want to stop using it.

2 Likes

I have to concur on this one, now that it’s been mentioned. The way the game is set up you can actually get as far as Killer in ranking with it on, because that’s how I made it to the Killer rank the first time…playing as Shago and testing out combo assist, so unless you really just want to play the game “the way it’s meant to be played” (really want to stress the sarcasm on that phrase), you absolutely don’t have to. If you can get off of it, it does open up a few more combo options, but by no means is it required for higher level play (debatable, I know).

I disagree, mainly because the benefit of being able to easily mixup combos with one button hinder the player of key Enders.

Take Jago for instant, he loses both his juggle and wall splat ended favoring only battery and damage. That’s all well and good since really, you can win from those. But, consequently you limit play style and setups without having juggle and wall splat as an option.

Also, it keeps the player from ever learning the dragon punch command, which is incredibly difficult for newer fighting game players, at least for me it was at first. This means they will never aa me outside of grounded heavies.

I see this move as a great tool for players who are starting off to get a sense of timing and combo mechanics. Or players who happen to be disabled in some way. Though, the only CAM I’d be willing to argue being more or less the same is Ultra assist. I mean, there really isn’t all that much necessity to learn the input of Ultras if you can just initiate it with the CAM, especially since the actual input isn’t necessary for anything outside an Ultra.

It’s a great tool and can be used well, but for some characters like Jago, again, it keeps them from successfully doing an around-the-world combo.

…except that you can still do those enders, even with CAM on :confused:

…and you can still do characters’ combo traits.

[quote=“STORM179, post:24, topic:16809”]
…except that you can still do those enders, even with CAM on :confused:
[/quote]Via normal means.

Right…but having it on isn’t actively hampering you from using them, so there’s not really any reason to turn it off unless you’re explicitly trying to learn better general FG execution, or if you’re finding that it’s hurting you for some other aspect of your game.

Like I said, just curious what TC’s reason is. It’s not a super-critical matter or anything.

I thought you only had a selection of two Enders under CAM?

[quote=“STORM179, post:26, topic:16809”]there’s not really any reason to turn it off unless you’re explicitly trying to learn better general FG execution, or if you’re finding that it’s hurting you for some other aspect of your game.
[/quote]
Both of those are exactly why I don’t use it and don’t recommend it. The very idea that KI is essentially a gateway FG for other FGs is defeated by the use of CAM.

Using the forward+HP/HK shortcut, yes. But CAM always allows standard inputs to override the CAM ones. If you do a QCB+HP, you’ll get Jago’s launcher ender.

Like I said - via normal means. That won’t stop input errors though.

Why are you fighting me on this? I’m interested in the TC’s feelings on the matter, not yours :confused:

Oh, of course and most certainly that’s the way to go! But, what I mean is for players who have yet to establish those inputs because they rely solely on CAM.

Though, they could theoretically just learn two easy inputs and make it work.

Nonetheless, I guess it still wouldn’t work with Around-The-World or perhaps I may be arguing a sense of acomplishment here.

Fair point, I suppose. Why aren’t you fighting me in-game right now?

Playing Chuckles. Will invite you when done. :thumbsup:

Oh sure, don’t make a lobby then. You really know how to keep a guy waiting…

GG’s to @DarkLrdChuckles for the 50-something games tonight - I’d say we made up for all those sets we missed :joy:

@GalacticGeek - sorry, got caught up playing a bunch of different MU’s with Chuckles. Will catch up with you later in the week if you’re down for it. :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Hey Everyone, sorry for the late response, I just got home for the night,

@STORM179 I don’t necessarily want to stop using it, I’m much better when I have it on, I just feel like I’m missing something. I’d really like to get better, and it seems like there are some setups that require some complicated chain of movements, and I feel like learning even basic combos without CAM would help set a good foundation to continue learning later. Am I wrong in that thought? I’ve never been good ad fighting games, but KI has really caught my attention and I want to get better.

@WrathOfFulgore I definitely understand this sentiment. I’m trying to get better overall and want to build good habits, and it feels like being able to utilize the mechanics of the game without CAM would build a stronger base to grow from. What are your thoughts on that?

@oTigerSpirit This is kind of what I was thinking also. I actually leave the enders disabled, so when I’m using CAM I have the Openers and Linkers, but need to input the ender. I was finding that I was accidentally ending combos when trying to do a heavy auto-double. I do think you can do all enders with CAM though, the system doesn’t take them away you just need to still enter the ender motions.

I would like to say thanks to everyone’s advice on this thread. It’s really great that the community is active and helpful. You guys are awesome!

1 Like

I would definitely agree with that. Like I said it is possible to get pretty far up the KI ladder with CAM on, Killer even, but it is in no way ideal and it will limit some moves that you can do, namely moves that allow multiple auto-doubles strung together. Saberwulf, Jago, Shago, Omen and TJ all have AD strings you wouldn’t be able to do with CAM on, for example.
As far as I know the only real honest advantage to using CAM aside from the ease of use is that heavy linkers are somewhat complicated to pull off without CAM. I know some people can, but I’m not really even sure how to perform them…I’m wanting to say light+heavy= heavy linker but I’m probably way off.

Heavy linker = holding L or M P/K during the inputs, so for example:
:arrow_down::arrow_lower_right::arrow_right: + L / M :fist: / :athletic_shoe: (hold)

Learning KI without CAM will let you do some of the more advanced character-specific stuff (certain Sadira juggles, Hisako resets, etc), so no, you aren’t incorrect in that. It will also give you a better foundation for if you ever want to play a different FG, as at least to my knowledge, no game uses a system anything like CAM for combos.

You can learn some of that stuff while still operating with CAM on though (and for the record, combo traits like Wulf’s rabid doubles are also possible within the system), which is why I was curious what your end goal was. If you just want to get more used to having good inputs, then quitting it cold turkey will certainly do the trick. If you’d like to ease off it a bit, then I’m sure that keeping it on but simply forcing yourself to do combos normally (with CAM catching any flubbed inputs) would also work.

How you wean yourself off is really your call. I think the losses that occasionally come from flubbed inputs could probably help motivate you, but if your inputs aren’t clean at all right now it might not be a bad idea to keep it on as a sort of training wheels kind of thing.