Thoughts and Feedback on All Four Launch Characters

They already said guest charactes dont add to the KI story, so Rash doesnt make the Ki story sillier, just see him as a bonus fot who ever likes to play him, like me and Blade.

1 Like

ok i must have missed the info on guest characters not being included in the KI story. good to hear.

guest characters though, IMO, are an excuse to not make new characters. like hey i ran out of ideas so im going to cherry pick some characters i like from other gamesā€¦

mk for exampleā€¦ what characters do people like? what characters came back because developers took a chance and made something new? bo rai cho, tanya, tremor, erron black. new characters that make sense in the mk universe (alien, predator) new characters like devorah, ferra and torr, takeda, etc.

its called innovation.

also it seems like developers throw characters in other games as an advertisement bit, which is extremely lame. who likes commercials or ads? i dont.

This has already been said a bunch of times, but here we goā€¦

Guest characters bring attention to the game, meaning more sales and longer continued health of the game (which is what we all want). Also MS might have given a larger budget because of the guest characters, since it would attract a larger crowd or might not have greenlighted a season 3 without guests, which would have left us without Tusk, Kim Wu and maybe the bosses and 1 or 2 new characters period.

Sure its a marketing gimmick, but we do profit from it.

Also, just because a character already has a skin, doesnt mean its easier to make or the devs can be lazyā€¦it might take a lot ā€˜moreā€™ time to get the fighting style right, since they have to incorporate all the existing stuff in a fighting game.

That said, love the way the guest characters are made from what weā€™ve seen so far, and they do look like they fit in the game, which is quite a feat. Would I rather have had all new characters, sureā€¦but they did a great job with what we are getting.

I agree.

Well technically everyone here goes crazy every time a new a trailer gets dropped.

I wouldnt mind a Microsoft All-star game (like smash brothers or with the killer instinct engine/combo system, both could work).

Who would buy such a game and what characters would we put into it?

i would go with:

Master Chief
Arbiter
Halo Gorilla (forgot the name Tartarus or something)
Cortana
Marcus Phoenix or the Cole train
Raam
Skorge
Fulgore
Hisako
Spinal
Sabrewulf
Joanna Dark
Rash
Conker
BanjoKazooie
Gruntilda
Alan wake
Quantum Break guy with powers
Jack of Blades
Jet Force Gemini dude or girl
Ori (xboxā€™s Pikachu)
Kameo

Drew from scalebound.

1 Like

Since I got a chance to play this character, Iā€™ll talk about it.

Kim Wu is awesome! She feels like a mix between Chun Li and Maxi from Soul Calibur. Her design is exactly what I wanted and Iā€™m not too particularly fond of her voice but Iā€™ll live. I got to listen to her theme in gameplay too. Too good!

I guess I can talk about Tusk too. I got my dad to learn the game in preparation for when he comes out. Not much else to say besides that. He doesnā€™t really seem like my kind of character but I can definitely see myself having fun constantly slamming my sword into the ground with MP. lol

The 2 unconfirmed are 1 new original character and Gargos or 2 new original characters + gargos as bonus.

Rash- Eh Okay.

He was a meme before he is a meme now. Canā€™t wait for EVO and all the Exhibit the Ribbit posts.

Kim Wu- Kim plz

I want to like her. I like her theme, I like her combat. But that face doe. Her outfit isnā€™t very amazing either. Give her a mask like Blood Moon Akali/Yasou in league of legends and I will give her a 10/10.

Tusk- Cool

His face is a problem but because he is a back facing character I donā€™t ever get to see his mug so all is forgiven. In combat he looks cool. I donā€™t like his high damage though, feel like he is going to be a more scarry Thunder.

Arbiter- Boring

Never cared for the character before, donā€™t care about him now. Would have preferred a Spartan. He is well designed and his armor has attention to detail that I wish Mayaā€™s had. Still, his design canā€™t fix his bland personality and combat.

Rash, Kim Wu with a mask, and 4 of the remaining character may entice me to buy KI season 3 but for now Iā€™ll wait.

Oh cool, I was thinking of starting a thread just like this.

Rash: Iā€™m not a fan of the concept in KI, but that doesnā€™t mean they didnā€™t do an amazing job. He looks fantastic. His gameplay is very much in character. Those of you who are excited to play Rash are probably going to love him.

Arbiter: While looking slightly more at-home in KI than Rash, Iā€™m not interested in playing this character. However, he looks utterly jaw-droppingly amazing. And his assorted outfits almost change the character. Huge welcome to the Halo players. KI is the best fighting game available, IMO.

Kim Wu: Looks perfect IMO. The moment I saw her I thought she looks better than I pictured. I love the one sleeve and one bare arm with a tattoo sleeve. Her outfit is true to the classic without looking anything like it. Her hair just looks right. I still think her face looks half-Asian, half-white. This is not a bad thing though. She looks good. Very cute. Am I the only one who just can not get enough of her nunchuck twirling outro??? So beautifully animated! If I ever play her, all my combos will be pure nunchuckery.

Tusk: Initially I struggled with Tusk. This was due to an unpolished face. Either Iā€™m going crazy or they polished his face between Februaryā€™s event, and the Livestream. Cause I think his face looks okay now. That appears to have made a huge difference in how I feel about him. At this point, Iā€™ve never been so hyped to get my hands on a character and personalize some hard hitting combos. His instinct has me wondering what insanity I might come up with.
Tall? Check.
Blond? Check.
Body builder? Check.
Large sword? Thatā€™s an understatement.
Young face? Close enough.
He matches my requirements. Love the tattoo. Love the sound effects for his sword. Love the visual effects for his sword. Love that his sword is named Warg-Gram. Love the gravity of this character. Lots of very slammy feeling moves.
Iā€™m dying to see his alternate colors and Retro!
As has been my plan since S1, Tusk will be my new main.

2 Likes

Appearance:

Rash: Great. Animates among the best in game. Shadow Big Boot and his instinct activation are top notch stuff. I think he fits the wacky trope-heavy universe of KI really well (probably because I associate Ninja Turtles with the 90s, and KI is, in a lot of ways, a modern reimagination of the 90s).

Kim Wu: Not the worldā€™s biggest fan of her appearance and personality. I personally find the 'tude a bit cringe-worthy, and I donā€™t need my female characters to be overtly sexy but something about Kimā€™s face looks odd. It doesnā€™t bother me that sheā€™s super short. As long as she gets hit by the same combos as everyone else, I like the height discrepancy, actually. Brings visual flavor to the game.

Arbiter: Looks really great. Iā€™m not a Halo nerd but I definitely feel the Halo influences seeing his animations. The vanishing command grab looks very cool, and the Shadow blade slashing move looks painful. Extremely nitpicky thing; I think his outro is too long and will wear on people in long sets.

Tusk: Two things I donā€™t like about him: his face during the win pose has some eye/mouth rigging problems, and the hair on his color #2 looks neon green (at least on the stages Iā€™ve seen it). Aside from that, he looks really good. I like the tattoos, the back stance, and his mish-mash outfit of a bunch of cultures that he probably got from living 1000 years. His animations are really great. All the sword normals have huge oomph behind them, and I love the Skull Splitter special move where he winds up and swings as hard as he can really fast. Really like the Chris Hemsworth-esque voice, might be my favorite in the game. Donā€™t care that he doesnā€™t look like old Tusk.

Gameplay:

Rash: Run canceling Big Boot looks fun. In general Iā€™m not a fan of super air-heavy characters in KI (like Sadira), and Rash seems to maybe be going in that direction of always challenging your air-to-airs or anti-airs, forcing you to get out of your comfort zone a lot. Juggle combos look cool, thoughā€¦ heā€™ll be a great combo video character and that is a very good thing for any fighting game.

Kim Wu: Seems quite grounded and whiff punishy, which I like. Curious how much her ā€œsafeā€ reversal (with 1 meter + 1 dragon) will come into play, or if itā€™s actually safe. She seems to do a huge amount of damage (no meter lockout combos in the > 50% range, which is Thunder territory).

Arbiter: Awesome design here. The use of grenade that can hurt you (except if youā€™re shielded) will lead to tons of laugh-out-loud moments in both casuals and tournaments (grenade + overshield + well-timed command grab sounds like gg, thoughā€¦). Carbine being so good in neutral and also so good at the end of combos will mean thereā€™s never a bad time to use your bullets, but youā€™ll also always wish you had more, which is a good thing. Shadow overshield seems really good as a reversal, since it seems really fast and hard to punish, but thatā€™s just speculation from me. Parry in instinct is good for a number of reasons; again, hype in casuals/tournaments, but also more combo video stuff. If KI can recreate Evo moment 37, people will click that link and maybe try the game because of it. Again, Arbiter just seems like the type of character that will create wacky, hype moments in tournaments and will get people on their feet hooting and hollering. Thatā€™s good.

Tusk: He looks really satisfying to play. Putting people in a corner and just pressing your best button over and over is satisfying stuff. I like that his instinct mode is high execution, something that could lead to cool moments or undiscovered tech. I think he might have some pretty good and some pretty bad matchupsā€¦ seems like a polarizing type of character. If you can contest his mid-range buttons, he will have a hard time, otherwise he might walk over you. A little nervous that knockdown -> skewer does too much damage right now, though. Even if you break, you take the full damage from the skewer (but you lose your positioning), so IMO I will probably always do skewer and not really care if I get broken, becauseā€¦ I dunno, maybe Iā€™m underestimating how hard it is for Tusk to get in. If I bait a throw, though, and I do jump heavy punch -> skewer, thatā€™s 29% unbreakable or whatever, for no meter. That seems super strong to me. Weā€™ll see, though, I havenā€™t played the character.

3 Likes

Kim Wu has no gimmicks and as soon as people play her for a significant amount of time like I have they would see the same. Kim plays very passive aggressive in my findings; she wants you to make all the mistake so she can capitalize. The closest thing Kim has to a gimmick is her dragon cancel which isnā€™t even really a gimmick in itself and has to be utilized in conjunction with other things.

1 Like

I agree.

But were you responding to me, or KOEmawk?

Are you saying Maximilian is old looking?!

Kim-Wu: 6/10 (melon head-wu is alright)
Arbiter: 9/10 (way better choice than brutes or chief)
Tusk: 6/10 (Meth teeth)
Rash: 6/10 (ā€¦meh)

Alex: 9/10 ( I waited for too longā€¦oh wait wrong game)

So Kim Wu has a melon head and Tusk has meth teeth, but no mention of those golden arch french fries Alex is smuggling in his headband?

Okay thenā€¦

1 Like

that is the reason he is not 10/10 (mained him in third strike)

getting all butt hurt over my frankly joke like comment LOOOOL :joy:

Where did you get that I was butthurt? I thought what you said was funny, I also thought it was funny you listed low scores next to melon head and meth teeth, as if those were the reasons for the scores, while fry guy got a nine.

Really wasnā€™t meant to sound like anger or the dreaded hurt feels of the back side. Itā€™s all good man.