Thoughts and Feedback on All Four Launch Characters

I reserve my opinions till I have a chance to try em out.

to much hype, and we should all know how that goes…

Just wait ppl

I think it’s important to make him the right size ( 7’10 ) making him smaller could annoy allot of Arbiter and Halo fans not to mention it could give the wrong impression about the Sangheili race to Killer Instinct players who aren’t too familiar with Halo.

Based on their visual design:

Rash - 9/10
Kim Wu - 5/10
Arbiter - 10/10
Tusk - 5/10

Hopefully the retro costumes for Tusk and Kim Wu make them look less like they come from one of those rip off games trying to cash in on SF2 hype back in the day. Gameplay wise, all the characters seem like they’re pretty interesting tho.

Wow, I agreed on every single word in this post. You read my mind. I was even thinking the same thing about Kim Wu’s blandness and I wasn’t sure people would’ve understood me claiming she is so Marvel vs. Capcom and doesn’t fit because she was created too static. They clearly put less work on her most of all. It really shows.

Arbiter should be a touch smaller though I agree even though Sanghelli and even Spartans are much larger than average humans, I noticed that he shouldn’t be as big as Aganos. Tusk is good, the face I think will be fixed. I still think Rash sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn’t belong with the cast, agreed.

Very true, I feel like Toby in that pic ever since I saw her. Still hoping I will wake up one morning to news that they fixed her.

I think they all look great!

I’m not a fan of Rash game play wise…so I wont be using him.

I have never been a fan of female characters as far as me using them. I can agree they look great , ect…but I don’t use female characters

Not a fan of halo but Arbiter looks pretty damn good!

Tusk…been waiting a long time for this fella!! I’m just ready to play in the final build before I criticize him too much.

As long as he’s slightly bigger than Tusk, I don’t think they would mind. Have you seen how weird it looks when Arbiter does the assassination move on Kim Wu? He so is so big and she’s so small that he almost misses her entire body with his blade.

Arbiter should be as tall as current Tusk, while Tusk should be scaled down to be Thunder’s height (he’ll still be more imposing because he’s beefier). That would eliminate all the weirdness and awkwardness that his large size brings but still give him the large and imposing presence that Halo fans seemingly want.

MS/IG doesn’t have to be so literal with his size.

1 Like

He’s still smaller than Aganos and plays great, the Arbiter should be as tall as he’s meant to be and most Halo fans want him to be as literal as possibly can be in KI hence the no Keith David backlash.

You may not know this but allot of small things that you wouldn’t think much of can annoy allot of people I’m one of those people, maybe it’s because I have OCD but I tend to analyse things very carefully and can tell when something is not right.

Being both a KI and Halo fan you are starting to get on my nerves and I would rather not continue this discussion since I want to continue being civil and not lose my temper and get temporally banned like some other members have on these forums.

This comment is very out of left field, and this discussion was civil until you posted it. If the mere fact of me posting my thoughts and feedback leads you to anger, then I suggest you move on.

Rash is a character i dislike from a franchise i dislike, but IG definitely makes me wanna play him, since guests are not canon to the games lore, im ok with him (I hate it when devs try to write ridiculous guests into their games lore coughsoulcaliburcough) anyway, im curious to see accessories and colors on him, and think gameplay-wise, he can be a welcome addition to KI

Kim Wu wasnt ever really my favorite KI character, but i think her design is done well, although not what i expected, the gameplay looks interesting, they’re taking a risk with her gameplay style and im intrigued to see how it’ll play out in tourneys, hair texture needs a little work, but im sure they’re polishing everyone.

Arbiter, WOW, didnt see him coming, but was definitely excited, they kept him big and made him very unique, he looks like a Halo character in terms of a gameplay standpoint, but its not a bad thing, IG and MS did really well translating a FPS game character into an FG character, he looks great, sounds great, and the stage is beautiful (also Props to Atlas Plug and Celldweller for the amazing S3 soundtrack), Im definitely gonna play him as soon as S3 comes out.

Last, but CERTAINLY NOT least, my boy, TUSK…I cant even express how impressed and happy i am with this character from his design, to his new/but kinda not new Lore, to his powerful gameplay, i gotta give a full breakdown of my thoughts…

1. Design…oh LAWD, i freaked out, i almost died a happy man seeing him with a Nordic inspired design, the viking ship made me stand straight up and then seeing the monstrous sword and the celtic/nordic tattoos had me literally screaming, all completed by seeing the glimpse of his beard, I couldnt ask for a better design for Tusk, i wanna kiss the man or woman who designed him, thank you so much!

2. Gameplay, definitely what he NEEDS to be, a big bruising monster, the deflect windows were a personal wish from me and seeing his specials in motion were enough to bring the manliest men to tears, the throws, the normals, the SWORDS GLOW, also it was cool to see Skull Splitter and Web of Death made into one move, the shadow version looks so cool, the instinct mode is crazy, i cant even imagine the crazy set ups that people will make with it, im definitely gonna do my fair share of experimentation

3. Stage, as the final stage of season 3, I can definitely say its one of my favorites, while it IS a drastic change from his original, its very awesome, I love the landscape, i wanna guess its somewhere in Greenland, Norway, or Sweden, background is beautiful (also narwhals are epic) and the stage itself animates so beautifully, the lighting is on point and it shows a lot of history, I definitely love it and will find myself picking it a lot, the only thing that could make it better is an epic stage ultra.

4. the Music, yes, yes, yes, Orchestral Power Metal is exactly what i wanted to see for him, it feels like what Skyrims soundtrack would sound like if Amon Amarth wrote it and I cant believe how good it sounds, Atlas Plug and Celldweller won my heart with his theme, I need to hear the full dynamic theme now, its so good

1 Like

I’ll share my opinions so far, keep in mind that I know the game isn’t out yet and it’s on the immediate content.

Only rating based on how they look outside of fighting.

Rash 9/10 -Unload the Toad, looks pretty good along with his retro. He is faithful to his original design and am sure the guy at Rare are proud of his design. His glasses look a bit shiny though. Would be 10/10 if he had a stage and less glare on glasses. It’s looking like the Toad will be a fan favorite at events.

Kim Wu 5/10 -Should be obvious, it was the talk of the forum for a while. Also not a big fan of her voice and attitude. Her stage is realistic and alright but I was expecting something more flamboyant out of the “design major” character. I know KI is trying to be tamed compared to other fighting games but I think Kim Wu being a bit more attractive would have enticed more people to the game than the current version of her which is kind of bratty and frankly off putting.

Arbiter 10/10 -Seems faithful to his Halo 5 design. Everything, including his stage seems high quality compared to a lot of the other characters in the game. Personally am not a fan of the character but I can appreciate his looks and the work put into him. I’d drop a point for his voice actor but it’s excused for the fact that he pretty much can be any Elite with his accessories. People seem upset about his height but am sure changing his height would have upset some lore keeper at 343, these are the guys who couldn’t even accept Master Chief in Dead or Alive even though it was the same character design.

Tusk 6/10 -This is the character design portion, not the in game fighting portion which I think looks good. His design is generic. Like people have said, he looks straight out of Skyrim on the 360. Why does he have ugg boots. His tattoos are okay and I like that they light up. His face looks as bad as Kim’s, only reason Tusk has a higher score is because luckily his face is hidden with his backwards stance. His stage is bland and probably the worst next to Riptors, I wanted to see those Northern Lights. His voice is fine, I have no issue with it.

Ratings based on how they look fighting in game

Rash 8/10 -While I like his character design, the way he plays isn’t what am looking forward to in the game. He has cool unique things about him like his taunt and shape shifting animaniacs fighting style but am not too sold on it yet. I might like it when I play him but it isn’t something am dying to play. Still, his animations are smooth and not weird looking like some others. Am not a fan of guest characters so far and would have preferred original characters instead but fans of BattleToads will really like his gameplay. Overall Rash is a solid character and due to his popularity deserves a permanent spot on the cast for future KI games.

Kim Wu 9/10 -Her fighting animations look nice and her play style looks really good as well. In motion she looks like she is going to be fun to play and is looking unique from a cast filled with shotos like Jago, Shago, Orchid, and Fullgore. I count Orchid in the list because of the DP. My only complaint is that when she her long range kick fire engulfs most of her animation and so do some of her other moves. It’s hard to see that character being cool because fire is taking up most of her legs instead of highlighting them. I’ll probably play some Kim Wuu for fun but I don’t see her becoming a main for me just because of her looks.

Arbiter 6/10 -I like the Arbiters looks and like I said he looks among the best in the game but his gameplay is just uninspired and boring to look at. Most of his fighting seems to revolve around the grenade. The only thing I find specifically cool about him while fighting is his invisible grab. That looks sick. I wanted to like his Plasma sword but it just looks like he is flailing it wildly with no grace. The stage ultra is probably not final but I find it off that the characters just disappear when the banshee crashes. It’s pretty obvious the character isn’t underneath there.

Tusk 10/10 -In terms of in game animations, Tusks has the most graceful looking animations out of most of the cast. The way he swings the sword looks natural and so do most of his other moves. The animation doesn’t look half baked and for the first time I feel as though IG hit it out of the park on the animations. His ultra looked hype as heck and I don’t ever look forward to Ultras because they are just recycled animations. The stomping was just too good.

1 Like

Yes they are. They may look small in the Halo games but you have to remember that Spartan 2’s are genetically modified humans who are themselves taller than most humans and even then if you played Halo 4 or 5 when you assassinate an Elite you would see Spartans have to climb on top of an Elite just to stab their neck.

I get what you’re saying though. Visually, it looks nice to see the Arbiter regular human sized but you have to keep in mind Halo is MS’s baby and they take care of that as best as they can. The lore is a huge thing for those guys.

2 Likes

Rash’s popularity, simple gameplay and quality design (character model and animations) could do wonders for KI, but he is not a natural fit for the KI universe. His presentation is just too cartoony for him to become a permanent character, not to mention he’s from an entirely different game and universe.

There is no arguing that Arbiter is a very well designed characters, but, yea, his fighting style is bland (no style whatsoever), which I think is made worse by is massive size. Is the Arbiter suppose to be that slow and lumbering?

I’m not saying he has to be the size of a regular human, because god knows being even slightly bigger than Thunder or Tusk does not make anyone normal. Things will look less weird if they scaled him down just a bit.

Kim Wu seems to have received the least amount of attention to detail of the four. Like TJ and Cinder, she has personality and an interesting gameplay but her design is bland and even weird (e.g. her helmet hair gives her a big head), and this could hurt her popularity in the long run.

Finally, Tusk’s design is very derivative, and that’s not necessarily why I like him so much. I like him because, like you said, he looks amazing in-game, thanks to his stylish moveset and fluid animations. His gameplay seems to be the most visceral of the four.

Either way, Season 3 is shaping up to be better than Season 2, and that makes me happy.

Back to topic I really like Tusk’s face and the beard really suits the barbarian/nordic vibe but one thing I think they could of added is some tattoos or markings on his face not completely covering his face but something round the eyes or cheeks.

Hopefully we’ll get that in either an alternative accessory or colour but anyway altogether great job Iron Galaxy :relaxed:

I do not really care for Kim Wu so I will not say much about her but how I feel is this,

Rash- Is executed perfectly except his lazy retro, it is just his normal costume with a more classic color scheme even just removing the belt in his classic costume to be more accurate to his actual classic design would be enough to differentiate them. It hurts even more when I heard all the fan service and detail Arbiter is getting. I also think depending on the lighting retro rash and normal rash mirror matches with color 1 might cause issues, but we have to see.

Arbiter- Great I have no complaints at all really I just want to see his retro more.

Tusk- Love him except his face, nothing wrong with his face I love his face its just how it looks in game it looks weird, same with Kim Wu.

Kim Wu- Fun looking.

I’m impressed so far. A far more interesting launch than Season 2 IMO.

Rash:
I was not thrilled when Rash was announced. He had to break the ice that we would be getting guest characters, which I was initially against the idea for what l assumed to be obvious reasons. So I didn’t play a ton of him in his beta form since I was still trying to grind for colors. HOWEVER, he’s really grown on me. He’s REALLY well animated with a lot of humor and an unapologetic wackiness that doesn’t detract from his prowess in combat, and his theme captures his spirit really well. He’s definitely our resident goofy character, had that godlike taunt (with loopable thrusts) had better make it into EVO Top 8 this year!

Kim Wu: A much more unique character than I’d previously imagined. She’s got parries and cancels for days and a moveset that oozes personality. Her stage is great, and what I’ve heard of her theme sounds fun. I’m surprised she hits as hard as she does. She’s not quit near the level of Tusk or pre-nerf Wulf but she still hits like a freakin’ truck (as is befitting of her stage) with that Shadow Dragon Kick DP. She’s also pretty dang sassy, which is fun, and her attitude shows just what kind of character she is. Pretty excited to see her back, even if she isn’t the top of my list.

The Arbiter: Damn this big boy brings back some memories! I can say with confidence that he captures a lot of the Halo feeling from the old days. I’m personally excited for his retro since I don’t like his more modern Halo 5 costume, but his wide array of accessories looks great from what they’ve teased. His gameplay is actually really intriguing, and he looks like a surprising high skill/execution character. Love the range on his attacks, and while his size is an issue as far as vulnerability I’m so glad they didn’t hold back on him. Fingers crossed for a taunt with a line related to “If they came to hear me beg, they will be disappointed.”

Tusk: Not going to lie: For me, Tusk is main material. He deals absurd damage, just like a character wielding a 7 foot flaming Greatsword should. He’s a bit slow and cumbersome, but he’s exactly the kind of character I play in D&D, Dark Souls, Diablo, Skyrim, and the like. A big weapon with a lot of wind up and recovery that really only needs to hit you once or twice to end it all. Seriously, seeing this style of character in my favorite fighting game is beyond exciting. Combine the fact that his new design embodies a lot of my family history and personal interests (Celtic/Nordic goodness), and his God Damn SUPLEX and you have a design that hits me right in my happy place. I was pretty excited before, but now Tusk has a place in my heart that he won’t be budging from.

2 Likes

RASH: i could really give or take this one. He looks fun to play, but i really DO NOT think he fits into the serious STORY of KI. I really don’t see how Rash would add to the story in any kind of meaningful way. The story is becoming a joke once again…IMO

*side-rant… This KI was supposed to see a more serious and interesting iteration… It started well, but s3, starting w/ Rash and moving on to many other GUEST CHARACTERS seems to just ruin it for me. KI is KI, not halo, not gears, not battletoads for crap’s sake. Don’t blend games! End Rant

Kim-Wu - early on was looking a little rough (in the face), but after seeing her move-set and how she plays, she looks awesome! Super excited for her. She looks like she was done just the way i think fans would have wanted her!

Arbiter - Initially was NOT THRILLED for him. He is kind of growing on me from the little gameplay i saw… But that being said, i would much prefer new character slots to given to NEW CHARACTERS, not borrowed ones from other games… At least he kind of fits the KI world/ realm much better than Rash.

Tusk - I think his move-set looks pretty sweet. I like that he is a hard hitting character w/ a ginourmous sword! I like some of the elements that were transferred from the old Tusk… (back tattoo, sword, same basic look). HOWEVER… i personally can’t stand his design. This dude is whiter than me! Queue note from Kim-Wu… His face needs WORK! LOL. Celtic vibe, sure whatever that’s fine, but his outfit looks just gosh darn awful IMO. Get this dude some new threads and some pigment.

Maya’s twin sister - Seems like a cool concept, we will see what happens with it. Got me interested!

General COMM - he looks like a cool dude, sadly didn’t play the gears games though. So i don’t have a ton of opinion on him, but like i said earlier i really WISH YOU GUYS WOULD MAKE BRAND NEW CHARACTERS TO ADD ADD ADD TO THE KI LORE! LOOK AT THE FORUMS GUYS!!! TONS OF AWESOME IDEAS HAVE BEEN SUGGESTED AND CONCEPTUALIZED BY KI FANS!

last 2 unconfirmed? i have no idea… but if that only leaves 2 more spots for KI characters, you had better listen to the diehard KI fans and bring back GARGOS AND EYEDOL, or i think s3 is going to FAIL MISERABLY.

I feel like MS has maybe overstepped their bounds and took out the creative team that was once in seasons 1 and 2… Just feeling cheated yo.

#gunslinger #vampire #water monster #othercoolideasthatpeoplesuggested

Tusk - My least favorite KI character, and I don’t think his reimagined S3 self is going to change that. Nothing against Tusk in particular though, I have just never been a fan of those types of characters.

Kim Wu - She looks pretty good. I doubt I will spend a lot of time with her, but she does look good and I enjoy her personality in this game. It is a nice contrast to the mostly serious cast of characters. I also think she is a huge improvement over her KI2 self. So kudos to IG for making her awesome.

Arbiter - I have never really gotten into Halo so I didn’t know who this guy was prior to him being announced for KI. Once again, a character that I think looks ok, but I probably won’t spend much time with him outside of completing his story mode.

Rash - I love this guy lol this guy is what is making the S3 launch for me. I have never played a Battletoads game before nor did I know who he was before him being announced for KI but after watching his trailer (Many times I might add) I really like him. He is stupid, as in silly/goofy which I absolutely love lol so yeah, his personality and goofy appearance make him the star of the S3 launch for me, I can’t wait to get my hands on him. I intend to learn him and have him as a secondary/pocket main.

I don’t think Killer Instinct is that serious…

Btw your comment might get deleted.