The Replay and Analysis Thread

Yeah her forward dash is listed as the complete duration. You can cancel into a jump attack on frame 17, plus the jumping attack’s startup (which is 13 or 15 frames for the beefy heavy buttons that are needed for the close cross-ups). So it’s kinda around 30 frames. It’s a hard reaction because the teleport is weird, but it loses pretty easily to defenses that squirm around.

I love this thread. I haven’t spent much time here because I don’t have much time to watch the replays, but I’ve been missing out.

On the subject of Shin Hisako’s throw orb, I’d be out of my league trying to talk about what that really means. But it’s worth throwing out the simple idea that if you do the optimal thing every time your opponent will more easily be able to predict what you’re doing. Even recognizing the reduced options she has, it might be worth accepting that just to make your opponent have to think about what his defensive options are there.

There is probably value in the decision to do something since its weird and not used often but that is a personal choice. I don’t that doing throw orb for the solely for unpredictability is super sound since shins regular offense is hard to predict and you can kinda math out the defense for shin without orb as you can do with other conventional pressure in FGs and staunch the bleeding (besides the initial throw orb with shin jumping over your head like Thunder that’s pretty bad).

2 Likes

I completely neglected to analyze your set, sorry dude. Midterms got the best of me before the Spring Break.

Once I get settled on my computer, I’ll look into the Jago matchup if you’d still value my input. But if you’ve moved past that, any time you jump back to Jago I’ll just spew some comments.

One thing I did want to mention was the dp buffer for blockstrings. I noticed it a bunch in your video and interestingly, I do a similar input error. You have issue with d.hp, whereas I have issue with endokuken.

I noticed that with well-versed Jagos who are comfortable with the timing, they rely on light dp. I’m wondering based on startup and/or efficieny if that changes drastically when buffering a dp. I figure light helps for those pesky tighter blockstring windows, where heavy is preserved for people doing slower or “fake” pressure strings.

Any change in your experience since you’ve posted the video?

Don’t think I’ve played Jago since then. Analyze away :+1:t5:

And yeah, light DP is better for the shallow vertical angle and more difficult punish in a lot of situations. Heavy DP is what I practiced with though, so muscle memory tends to make me press with my ring finger as opposed to my index when I’m going for one. I don’t think going for one or the other really effects the actual buffer input for me; that’s just a matter of needing to practice.

Cool stuff, I always dig watching Jago especially when being used by a high-leveled player. I’ll break my analysis into two sections, the general and the specifics (though I may intertwine the two to extend upon a point).

First then, generalities.

• I want to commend your tremendous patience throughout this matchup. I could see how your knowledge of Hisako carries over to another character. Regarding the usage of Jago, you approached the matchup as a counter-fighter would, you reacted to your opponent or would wait for a proper opening. Even where you would pressure, it often seemed calculated. For instance, after throws, you would setup the appropriate timing with a normal just before a jump to create an ambiguous cross-up. Additionally, you utilized Double Roundhouse as forward movement and pressure, adding Laser Sword to stay close, but using the light version to avoid the shadow counter. Whether it’s Hisako or Jago, your patience speaks volumes in your playstyle, and in some cases, it benefited you, while others maybe not so much.

• Regarding your patience, the most significant aspect from your opponent that I noticed was it gave them plenty of time to weigh their options. Even if Rag mentioned they were on autopilot with the jumps and the empty strings, there was a lot of times where you held that pressure unnecessarily.

• One of the byproducts of blocking the pressure seemed like a growing resistance to be grabbed throughout the pressure stings. I noticed a few times that where you felt the pressure would stop (rightly so, considering you blocked most of it), you anticipated a throw, to which you preemptively wanted to tech only to leave yourself vulnerable.

• I previously mentioned that you are calculated in your forward pressure especially while utilizing one of Jago’s best tools, Double Roundhouse. While I commended that command normal, it was used often without variety. It began to feel like a linear approach mid-way through to the later rounds. The pressure string being forward roundhouse into Laser Sword became the primary option you relied on doing.

• It would eventually lead to some shadow counters as you would get caught either at Double Roundhouse or at Laser Sword. Additionally, what I would have liked to seen was incorporating Endo’s here. Even by throwing an Endo after the roundhouse, you have the potential to diversify your pressure a bit. Things like throwing Endo and waiting to react to their potential counter, or delaying the Endo to help lead to cancels or even continued pressure would be interesting.

• The final general impression that I noticed was misjudging your throwing range and often your tap throws. A few times where you would jump in with a button and follow up with another button, you would just become stationary when you attempted a throw. You wouldn’t inch slightly closer to the throw range. It, of course, could be just trying to be a disconnect amongst character knowledge, but it did happen a few times.

Now then, regarding the specifics. I chose the portions of the set that were interesting or stood out most to me.

@6:52, you DP’d with enough room to string a juggle, here you could have used the height as an opportunity to gain health back if you connected with a medium or even light. The timing is tricky, but it is possible. Even if you don’t land a follow-up for the juggle, it can help predetermine the timing for future references.

@7:37, you may have missed another opportunity to gain life here, but it depends on what part of the opponent’s recovery they happen to be in. One of the “things” with Jago, as we all know is DP after instinct cancel for guaranteed damage after an opponent’s jump. Instead, consider the expectations and experience of your opponent to catch them with a normal when they land. They may not anticipate it and with that much life left you shouldn’t worry about attempting to connect a normal during their recovery if it lands, great. If not, you have plus frames to maintain the threat of pressure.

@7:43, I wasn’t too sure where this juggle was going, but going back to Endo pressure, it may have benefitted you to use Light Endo to carry pressure into the corner. If the spacing is correct, which I am not too sure if it would work in this case, the speed of the Endo’s would have allowed you to have them on screen as you moved forward. That way, you could react and counter or continue using instinct frames to your advantage.

@9:29, here you were proactive about your health gain combo and even continued Jago’s Around the World trait to build more instinct and setup the Endo ender. Though anytime you have the liberty to combo your health gain like this, optimize health gain as best as you can.

Personally, I would have combo’d as follows: Instinct Cancel > H. Endo > Normal > Linker > Around the World > Ender > Shadow > HK (may need to dash depending on spacing) > Endo (cancel after first hit) > Shadow > Endo. I think the combo may have blown-out after the first hit of your last Endo, but it should have worked in that specific scenario.

@9:50 Storm… :sweat_smile:

@21:51, mostly for curiosity, was this breakable? I’m sure that it technically should be, but because of the immediate follow-up dagger, did it close the breakable window close much faster than anticipated?

@20:55, I felt so tense at this moment, but I couldn’t help but yell, “Chip! Chip ‘em!” I guess it’s one of those moments where in hindsight it’s easy to see that, but in the heat of the moment you probably set your heart on finding an opening as if that were the only means to end the match.

In the second video @14:34 I felt like you were going for too much. I noticed that this started to become a pattern. I am all for extended combos and not resorting to short low-damaging combos simply because the opponent will break. Though in this case mainly, sometimes in other situations, you tend to draw out combos that aren’t necessarily optimal and are best suited for ending early. Especially if you were in you instinct where you would want to get your health back if possible. I can understand if maybe you were going for a Level-3 Ender if you felt like the juggle wouldn’t give you enough height to connect a Shadow Endo. If that is the case, it comes down to weighing out full damage versus potential damage as you could have used a Shadow Endo at any point to prioritize health gain.

Last note, I’ll address this to @WebNRagnarok. @3:43, that was nasty.

Overall, I like the patience you play with as Jago. It’s honestly one of my major downfalls, I tend to lose patience way too quickly, and my game plan takes a sudden plunge. It’s something I always commend you for, as Hisako or Jago. Though, I can also say you are a patiently-aggressive Sako. Nonetheless, I figure you like to test the waters and take a break from Sako when using Jago. I presume you don’t plan to take him too serious, so don’t perceive my comments like I’m critiquing you considering you may catch everything I mention. In a way, my observations of your playstyle reciprocate with that of my own, which leads me to want to post more matches here to gauge my playstyle from the outside perspective.

2 Likes

Thanks for the in-depth feedback Tiger :slight_smile:

Yeah, I don’t have any endo combos or juggles. Jago’s an alt I run for fun, so have basically just been lazy and never cared to figure out optimal heath gains. Not proud of it, but there it is :joy:

9:50: :sweat_smile: Think I got a weird instance where was trying to micro-walk and was still in the animation so got nothing. Don’t have any idea about that second throw attempt though, so let’s just assume panic :man_shrugging:t5:

21:51: without even looking I know what you’re talking about, and I assume that’s the case. I was mashing break for my life there, but similar to Glacius hail opener->ender it seems like the window for it is unreasonably tight.

20:55: would’ve been happy to chip him, but he was in the air with plus frames the whole time. The MP’s I was putting out had shadow fireballs buffered behind them, but he was just in the air again so I couldn’t connect with them.

And don’t worry at all about critiquing my play, either with Jago or Hisako to be honest. Some of what you say I know are gaps, but some of it isn’t, and either way it’s an opportunity for me to reflect and learn on my play. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Played a 3rd training set with @CodeComplete85. The audio is, well, non-existent, so I thought about not posting it, but overall Code played really well so I felt like it would be a shame to bury it.

5 Likes

Even when this is my fight, it’s kinda boring without audio. Putting this in the background helped out a lot:

Whaaat, music!? But this is my chance to work on my voiceover acting… “eeendokewwkon!”

2 Likes

We had a discussion recently on the Discord trying to figure out what Jago is even saying. We never bottomed out on any conclusive answers, unfortunately :confused:

Two Steps from Hell! I have most of their scores on iTunes! :smiley:

1 Like

Good FT10 set with @nSxTyme2Dul’s Kan-Ra:

Please feel free to provide any and all feedback that comes to you. [Full disclosure: I hate Kan-Ra, and fully 85% of what he does ■■■■■■ me off immensely :sweat_smile: ]

2 Likes

Haha, I faced him in a tournament on Saturday, and things went… far worse for me. I’ll be studying this one a lot, and Dul’s also graciously offered to help me with my anti-Kan strats.

2 Likes

I noticed a lot of dropped combos after hit confirms. Was there a bit of lag going on, as you are usually spot on?

Some of it was lag, but some of it was sloppy confirms because I didn’t expect things to hit or messed up the input because I was tilted. Like most people, I don’t really play well angry, so some of the slop in my game was just because I was playing mad.

3 Likes

A good Kan Ra can make even the most calm individual angry. At least Dul didn’t do that trick where Kan gets into a corner and summons an eternal scorpion tail. I’ve had quite a few Kans do that. As a Sadira main, it literally means that match is over, IF they have a life lead. All they have to do is block and sit behind the scorpion as I glower in vain.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m about a quarter of the way through watching this, and I can feel Storm’s tilt through the screen.

2 Likes

Yeah kan is a pain in the ■■■… Probably just going to say ■■■■ it and pick riptor if I’m not patient enough that day.

2 Likes

I always forget you dabble with Riptor. Super surprised me when you pulled her out against me at NEC :joy:

2 Likes