The Replay and Analysis Thread

Every. Jago. Does this. I think Eyedols do it most of all, like they only have half the time to DP, so they do it twice as much while in Warrior. Part of the mix-up with DP characters is just crouch blocking and letting them hang themselves

Heh. Good Jago’s will tend to block - I’m just not a good Jago :3

In all seriousness though, better players will tend to play actual defense on the vast majority of their wakeups. Standing back and doing nothing is just letting them wakeup for free. Against a character like Hisako (who has very little to fear from 95% of the invincible reversals in the game), I think you’re much better off pressuring them on wakeup most of the time. She can blow up reversal attempts and maintain pressure - it’s good to take advantage of that instead of letting people get up for free.

Played another extended session with @WebNRagnarok. Matches are below.

Part 1:

Part 2:

The matches were fun! On my end, I was trying to work on my reversal DP’s on hitbox, so you guys will see me whiff a lot of seemingly random cr.HP’s and MP’s and fireballs right before I eat a jump kick :sweat_smile: I like hitbox for literally everything else, but Dp’ing out of blockstun can be tough…

On to feedback for Ragnarok:

• Good improvement overall. Could tell you were a lot more comfortable this set as compared to the last one.
  • You did much better job capitalizing on lockouts, so good stuff there :+1:t5:
  • You spaced your heavy kunais much better in these matches. I got the chance to SC you for tossing it out a lot less this time. It’s always DP punishable though, so still be wary.
  • You played the breaker game much better. A lot less guessing, though you can still do with less of that overall.
  • On the negative side, you still let me break the exact same things in the exact same way too many times. I broke almost every heavy AD you did, and broke every single shadow spin on 1-2-3. You have to challenge that more consistently.
  • Don’t waste your instinct time comboing a corpse.
  • Use shadow counters more. On about 97-ish% of my knockdowns I did MK->laser sword. Literally almost every time I knocked you down, that was how I pressured you. I think I maybe ate 5 or 6 shadow counters across all 30 games.
  • Relatedly, don’t jump or use shadows on someone who has demonstrated they can and will meaty you. On a bunch of my meaties where you got tagged I found myself wondering what exactly you were trying to do. Sometimes it was a shadow, but I’m guessing you were jumping or teching throw or something. Gotta just block it out sometimes homie :sweat_smile:
  • Also relatedly, you’re very buttonsy on defense. In a lot of instances you are prone to challenge with jabs or try to tech throw, which leaves you vulnerable to frame traps (particularly ones off jump-ins).
  • You jab challenge a lot, but you get basically nothing out of it because immediately after you always jump. And on that note…

You jump too much. Or rather, you rely on jumping too much. I think you use Sadira’s mobility as a bit of a crutch that covers other gaps in your play. There’s one really interesting sequence in the second video where you are pressuring me, and you are literally jumping for about 20 seconds, just a whole suite of double and single jump cross-ups and fake cross-ups, while I block it all out. No empty lows, no grabs, no frame traps after the j.HK - just another jump. That’s interesting enough on its own, but the really funny thing is that the sequence is almost identical to several others throughout the set, where I do a much poorer job of blocking but the pressure you apply is almost entirely the same. Even though you’re hitting me, there’s no confirm or acknowledgement that you’ve opened me up - just another jump into button.

To be sure, it’s on me as a player that I couldn’t better stop that (damned reversal DP’s! -shakes fist angrily-). But still, it indicates to me that your offense is really flow-charty, with not a ton of thought about what your opponent is doing informing your sequence. A block’s as good as a hit’s as good as me actually getting that reversal DP, because so long as you’re jumping you’re happy. It was almost 25 games in before you started altering your trajectory after your wall clings, and I think that was the case because you aren’t really basing what you do on the tendencies and capabilities your opponent has shown. Sadira’s aerial mobility is good so you just use it, full stop, without necessarily thinking about the “why”. That works for you because Sadira is hard to defend against and tough to land solid punishes on, but that lack of thought with respect to the “why” bleeds into other aspects of your game also. Count how many times you anti-aired (as opposed to air-to-aired) me across these 30+ games - do you need two hands to do it? I think gaps like that and always trying to run away from pressure (or even when it’s your turn) stem from a lack of asking that fundamental “why?” question.

Your tech with Sadira is impeccable. But I think you may be focusing too much on all the cool things she can do, and not slowing down enough to ask why it’s good or why particular things open people up at particular times.

I was up WAY early this morning due to sinus problems, and so I watched the sets. Honestly I think a lot of my stuff looks like I’m almost fighting on auto pilot. Part of it is that I’m so honed in on wanting to jump, I do it out of instinct, versus careful planning. I also noticed a LOT of sloppy buttons on my part, especially in terms of juggles. Then again you have a talent from breaking almost every one. :smile:

To be fair, for me, I was REALLY getting tired and I could see it in my gameplay, but over all, I have to work on my inputs.

Defense is also something going to have to work on a LOT. I am getting better. I can see it with comparison to some of my old videos to my newer ones, but if I want to earn that Star, I gotta do a lot better.

Over all, I was happy that I actually started to win matches. When you play against top players, it teaches you a whole new level of fighting, versus playing the “normal people”. :smile:

I’ve been playing sets with the UA guys and others like them, and going back to Ranked is like playing a whole different game. I’ve actually been doing worse in Ranked, when I get a chance to play it, because people just do totally different stuff I no longer expect.

I always advocate playing Ranked at first to build up skills and experience. There’s no substitute for seeing someone go absolutely nuts and make a ton of conventionally bad decisions - you need to get accustomed to seeing nonsense and countering accordingly. Joe Ranked is who you’ve got to run through first in pools.

If Sadira does an air light punch and then buttons, those buttons will always be mediums. Her heavies are semi-reactable and also tend to come at particular points in the round from you. You mixed up your patterns a lot better this go around, but you’ve overall still got some distinctive (to me anyway) combo “chunks” that you default to in certain situations. Pay attention to what I break and when and you can blow me up for some of that stuff. Others like the light->medium target combo or Sadie’s grounded AD’s are fully reactable, and you’ll need to counterbreak to dissuade the breaks. When counterbreaking though, you need to let me see what you’re doing - you often counter well before I’ve registered what the hit is at all.

Part of what I was getting at in my notes above is that I don’t think this is especially true. The games you lost were by and large not lost because of less-than-clean inputs - they were lost in the decisions that you made. Decisions to jump again instead of confirming an opening, decisions to hold up on wakeup or to web cling across the entirety of the stage for the nth time. A decision to jump after a successful jab interrupt of my pressure instead of committing to the combo. Those are the things that cost players games; very seldom is a slightly less than optimal juggle the real reason why you lose.

You should be. As I said above, you played a much stronger set than the last time! :slight_smile:

Hey dude, you’re exceedingly knowledgeable of the upper skill-set of mechanics for KI. So I am fairly certain you caught most, if not, all things you were doing throughout.

Still, can’t help but see Jago and ask if you’d like input?

My notes, Ragnarok…

The games overall in general were much better on the whole than the last set that i saw between you and Storm. But there were some critical things that i noticed. I will echo what i said from before, you do not seem completely comfortable playing grounded at all. I listed the situations that struck me through the first set…

3:32, 19:19 - Storm whiffed a counter breaker, but you chose to cross up jump versus a button punish or even a throw.
17:45 - Storm whiffed a counter breaker, but you punished with st HP into cross up jump.

0:50, 8:30, 8:47, 10:13, 11:32, 14:09, 15:33, 22:56, 30:47 - Storm whiffed a DP, but you jumped as an answer.
30:27 - This is another instance of Storm DP’ing but this one was where you actually blocked it and still jumped.

All of these instances across just the first set tell me two things.

1. You need to work on punishes and training your instinct to not jump at clear punish opportunities. Be it auto pilot or a reliance on her mobility, you are not taking advantage of some of the most clear cut opportunities to punish (or at least press advantage) KI offers. That’s something that will absolutely kill you in the long run. It may be doing so already. And if you’re not currently aware, you have to learn to see these as opportunities to punish. Ingrain it into your playstyle that if you see these, jumping is not the first answer. And this might take lab time.

2. No aware opponent will respect anything you do if they get zero punishment from having high risk moves like DP’s/counter breakers not connect. Think about how absolutely huge that is. And think about how it was demonstrated through the set. Most times when you had those whiff DP’s, i wanna say 99% of the time, Storm blocked the immediate answer of M kunai. And 2 out of 3 times, Storm got away with a whiffed counter breaker absolutely damage free. If i can get away scott free for absolutely blasting you with DP’s, (and it doesn’t matter if they whiff or are blocked) why would i ever stop DP’ing you? Why would i ever stop counter breaking you? Why would i not take every chance i wanted to if there was no punishment? I don’t want it to seem like i’m ragging on you, but that is such a huge hole that it cannot be understated.

Let me ask a question. Storm started tagging you fairly consistently for web clings as the set went along. What solution do you have for a Jago that is doing that to that approach?

An interesting exchange at 27:50 where you and Storm exchanged corner positions a couple of times. But when Storm had his back to the corner, you didn’t pressure him for it. Can i ask why you didn’t press?

Another question, was there anything pattern that you picked up on regarding sweeps in the two sets?

Absolutely. I’m aware of a lot of my flaws and tendencies with Jago, but it’s entirely likely that I’ve got some extra ones that I haven’t noticed. A lot of the gaps are more about adjusting to things on the fly - I play him less, so have less ability to freestyle or adapt with him even after I see patterns of success and failure. I’ll know I should do something differently, but lack the flexibility that allows me to actually make the adjustment. My inputs are much more rigid overall for all my alts actually; Hisako’s the only character I can really freewheel with I’m afraid. :sweat_smile:

As mentioned before, the skill I was most wanting to work on for the set was reversal DP’ing out blockstun, so feel free to omit my many, many failings in that area in your feedback :joy:

Ayyy check it out!
Wheels uploaded two FT10s in which I struggle WAY too much in a 4-6 AND a bit too much a 6-4. My ability to play anti gargos and general defense was put on blast. Keep in mind wheels doesn’t have much Exp in this MU. Also sub to wheels’ YT and stuff