The Replay and Analysis Thread

I’d like furniture made of cookies. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Danm @VladKravich you kinda toxic…
Wich is kinda rare for ki forums

Plus every “infinite” as you call them could either be broken or shadow counter with a good pre blocking and reaction

Due to the nerf to wind kick, your most reliable pressure tool in the midrange will be endokuken. Use it to put a hitbox on the screen and bait your opponent into doing something unsafe (like jumping) to get around it. Midrange isn’t really where you want to be though - Jago excels just inside that space, where his far reaching sword normals can hit and where fireball dash cancels lead into nasty mixups.

You don’t have to worry about this a lot of the time, and certainly not at the ranges this particular opponent was wind kicking from. Jago can only DP frame trap after a light (read: close) wind kick - any of the others are freely punishable on block.

Im scared of using a lot of endos bacause of shadow wk/projectile invisible shadows even more vs jago coz he builds lots or meter.

I used too use it but recently I’ve been getting punish a lot.[quote=“STORM179, post:708, topic:16350”]
Jago can only DP frame trap after a light
[/quote]

Good to know! Thanks that actually helps a lot

If someone is punishing fireball dash cancels, then it often means just letting a semi-charged endo go would have smacked them in the face (and remember, this is often confirmable into combo). Part of your job is to condition your opponent so that you know when to actually let the fireball go, and when to use it to come in for the mix up.

1 Like

If you use it from too far out it’s possible to get punished for it. However, there’s a good range to use it from where reacting is either not possible or difficult enough that to focus on doing so would have a negative effect on the rest of your opponent’s ground game. From around the max range of overhead, maybe a little further, it’s a strong offensive tool to get your opponent to block so you can walk in.

@STORM179 Even with the nerf you can’t think of medium windkick as being strictly unsafe. It’s very much matchup and spacing dependent. Some characters can punish it reliably, some can’t.

3 Likes

I can understand wanting to use caution when throwing out endokuken in the midrange against a character with a projectile invincible move. For my two cents, there’s also something to be said for daring an opponent to punish you for it. If they can’t reliably punish your Endo’s with said move, i’d make it a point to use them to your advantage.

1 Like

Ok So just keep using endos till he shows me how to counter it?

Do you have any characters on top of your mind?
I would help knowing a couple

Correct.

For an example, my main Kim Wu wants no part of playing full screen against Jago where he can spam fireballs. In order to be effective she needs to be at about that midrange where this endo strategy is effective. If i cannot, or do not, show retaliation by using my projectile invincible move to punish Endo’s (or other options for that matter), why would you give up the free damage/potential combo starter?

Challenge your opponent to do something about it. If the only thing i can come up with is jump ins, well that’s potentially a DP for my trouble. If i just decide to block, that opens up the dash cancels into whatever.

If they DO show you they have means to deal with it, its time to try a new tactic.

Off the top of my head, in the season 1 cast only wulf, glacius, and thunder get meterless punishes into combo. Everyone else other than jago has 6 frame or better shadow moves that can punish it–shadow laser sword is 5 frames, but if wind kick is spaced properly the first active frames won’t connect.

Outside season 1…Hisako gets a guaranteed punish with shadow possession, and I believe mira and gargos’s shadow command grabs are also guaranteed punishes. One of eyedol’s moves (I think crouch mp) is 6 frames with huge range so he should also always get a punish. Shinsako definitely punishes with dp, and I think with stand MP as well. Pretty sure raam always punishes with LP grab.

There’s a lot of nuance to this move that wasn’t there before. You’ll have to learn which characters can punish with what, and often this means you’ll also need to consider the meter situation when using it.

FT10 Set with my fledgling Fulgore:

Again, not really trying to take the character to super high level or anything, but figured this would be a good place to stop by to both teach and be taught about the character. I’m mostly playing Gore to make a point (he can have meter if you want), but I’m definitely still open to ideas about how I’m playing him thus far. I know that even with my narrow approach to the character I’m missing a lot of stuff, to include what are probably some very basic optimizations on things.

I know that I should be making better use of his pips once I have them, and that once he’s stocked I really can shift into vortex without worrying about stifling myself in any way, but so far I’ve been having fun just trying to play him a bit more straight up. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If I knew nothing about you when I watched this set, I would still assume that you play Hisako, because your movement consists of about 30% jumping, 30% dashing, 35% forward-moving special, and <5% walking.

6 Likes

@DarthStilnox posted this in a thread in the Fulgore sub-forum and asked for feedback on it. I thought this might be a better place to have that kind of discussion, and figured some of the other regulars to this thread could chime in as well (if that’s ok with you of course Darth).

I don’t really have any complaints. Your play has the elements of offense that you want I think, even if some of your pressure isn’t yet 100% airtight. Just a few things I noticed:

• You hit one punish perfectly (max damage! :smile:) and got a throw off another, so will just want to make sure you’re always getting as much upfront damage from unsafe stuff (whiffed DP’s, failed counterbreakers).

• You should watch raw teleport in neutral. That is not safe, ever, and good players will full combo punish you for trying it. If you want to teleport in, be sure to cover yourself with a fireball or something.

• I don’t think there’s much utility in backdashing after a fully/near-fully charged up blade dash. It’s your turn after that, so either press your advantage with a button, or just block for a bit to bait the DP. Backdash in that situation is probably one of your less good options.

That’s pretty much all I got from that single game. Hope it helps :thumbsup:

1 Like

Don’t feel like letting this thread hang, so here’s a long a** video. Enjoy when you’ve got the free time :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, I had a match with a Ranked Fulgore.

@Paramisery, like I promised.

Please feel free to comment on this too. If you have any constructive criticism, it’s greatly appreciated.

@STORM179 @ItzTymeToDul (adding both for good measure)

2 Likes

Remember - if you build level 4 and have the bar to shadow cash out, it’s probably wise to do so. Reset to get the level 4; once you have it, collect your damage. The reset did win you the game (and it was your first one, so a decent bet), but something to keep in mind.

If you’re not sure an ender will kill, I think it’s always worth the bar to ensure the kill. You got wrecked on that tiny sliver of green life he had in the first game.

Don’t let Fulgore teleport in neutral for free. Without a fireball to cover him, he is never safe.

Pay attention to combo patterns - this guy did basically the exact same combo every time he touched you. Did you recognize it?

Good matches though! I really like the incorporation of resets into your game. I think it’s a very strong option as Kim :smile::thumbsup:

1 Like

So, Short lvl 2-3 combo into Reset? I can do that :slight_smile:

It’s hard, because I feel like I waste a bar sometimes. I’ll work on it.

Noted.

I started realizing that later. I started challenging him with breaking his lights and such. Gotta be sooner though.

Well, I do have a great Hisako player I learned from :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For the record, resets don’t add white life to your opponent (first hits never do unless they are special like Cinder inferno or whatever), so if you do a level 2 combo and reset, unless you start with a heavy double, you can probably expect it to stay at level 2 for your one-chance.

Remember that white life is scaled in a combo just like regular damage, so a heavy double at the start is worth a lot more PD than a heavy double near the end of a combo. Hence why resets into heavy doubles usually do a grip of additional white life (not uncommon for one heavy auto to add 2 ender levels by itself if you reset and do it at the start).