The Replay and Analysis Thread

Noted as well.

So in the situation in my match, I’d want to hit a manual or something to increase PD, instead of just a light linker like I was doing?

Pretty much. The main thing I was hounding on though is just that you counter-broke him, got to Level 4, and then went for a reset. That’s really dangerous, because it means you gave him an additional break opportunity that you didn’t have to for what was already (for most intents and purposes) a max damage combo. Get your damage where you can.

That’s fine. I waste bar all the time (like seriously, watch some of my matches sometime). If I’m not 100% sure that basic damage ender will kill, then I spend the bar.

Depends what your goal is really. I’d personally still probably go for a medium or heavy linker or something (again, get away from light linkers after your openings - it’s a bad habit of yours), just because it gives you the chance to confirm a lockout if you catch them mashing. You are a bit limited on this though because one of Kim’s linkers is entirely too breakable, and the other scales heavily if I remember correctly. Again, for me the chance to confirm a lockout with a linker (which also has virtually zero chance to mistime it) outweighs the reward of using a manual for the one-chance. For you the calculation might be a bit different though.

I guess that’s lab time then. “What could I do after a reset, that I have a chance for more damage, can catch a lockout and not be too breakable?”

[quote=“STORM179, post:726, topic:16350, full:true”]. You are a bit limited on this though because one of Kim’s linkers is entirely too breakable, and the other scales heavily if I remember correctly.
[/quote]

It’s been a while since I checked her linkers but I’m pretty sure both of them have bad scaling.

All in all that was a good set. At first I thought that Fulgore was going to make himself some Ostrich McNuggets, but you turned it around quite nicely.

In terms of the resets, it is a very risky move and I can’t add anything here that Storm already hasn’t said. Kalypso DOES do this type of thing a lot, to great effect, but then again Kalypso is Kalypso.

Resets are less risky than you might think. Most of the good ones aren’t reactable (or are only barely so), and even great players can only manage so many options at a single time. If you miss, you’re probably only going to wind up slightly negative in front of your opponent (and Kim can wind up plus), and many times people will be more worried about regaining their PD than trying to go back in on you.

I genuinely think resets are the missing piece for a lot of players in moving from intermediate to high level. They’re not only fantastic damage - they almost force you to move into the critical space of thinking “what is my opponent trying to do right now?” Kalypso doesn’t successfully reset people because he’s Kalypso - he’s Kalypso because he’s learned how to successfully reset people. He’s learned how to read people’s defensive intentions and fears, and that’s what makes him a great player.

1 Like

From my experience, both linkers are identical in damage, it’s the nuances that drive their differences…

St. HP + H Dragon Dance + H Dragon Dance Linker …
Damage - 55.5/7.8PD (68.8/12.3PD as a shadow linker)
KV Meter - 46
KV Meter using a light linker - 41
KV Meter using a medium linker - 43

St. HP + H Dragon Dance + H Firecracker Linker…
Damage - 55.7/7.8PD (68.8/12.3PD as a shadow linker)
KV Meter - 41
KV Meter using a light linker - 37
KV Meter using a medium linker - 39

Firecracker feels too breakable with strong visual and audio cues as to their strength (take that for a grain of salt from a Kim main) so myself personally, i’ll lean on Dragon Dance as a preferred linker. Sure, Firecracker stacks less KV, but when i’m mostly utilizing either a shadow cashout or normal damage ender, the more tricky-to-break linker is what i’ve gone with.

Somehow, also missed these last few replays to go over. Shame on me…

Good stuff Ostrich, the resets were nice.

My only constructive criticism would be to say be even more aggressive - if you start out with the upper hand, Fulgore won’t have the meter to shadow counter your double kick so throwing it out slows his reactor while building you some meter. Also, like storm said - without a fireball fulgore’s teleports are always punishable, definitely use that to your advantage.

2 Likes

Jago mirrors between me and @ItzTymeToDul PogChamp

I don’t think either of us would ever claim to have particularly good Jago’s, but the set was still a lot of fun. Not sure about Dul, but feel free to critique my play here :thumbsup:

4 Likes

Good stuff!!! Battle of the Jagos!

I also have a pocket Jago… but he’s VERY pocket worthy. :stuck_out_tongue:

It was fun, i like your reaction DP’s. i find that by looking at the basic things you do, it tells how you make your other characters work.

Haha. Do tell - I’m genuinely curious what you’ve gleaned :slight_smile:

For a stretch a of couple of games Storm, i think you quick rose on every possibility. Dunno if that was something Dul picked up on. But to be honest, not much else i really picked up on in the set, it’s kinda hard to analyze something when you can’t help but smile and laugh through it.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I probably quick rose on every available opportunity for the entire set. I’m generally not big on giving people setups they haven’t earned. Mixing and matching sometimes probably would be at least semi-useful though in mucking up certain faux setups.

1 Like

You can react to a situation and make an instant judgement based on your familiarity with the it. When i jump in, you take me out the air. When I’m in the Corner, you pressure me. When i do something negative, you ALWAYS punish. Those little things explain hour you make your hisako successful. You pay attention.

I can’t tell you how many ppl play jago and can’t dp on reaction.

I also said this in the stream chat, but a lot of Wind Kicks went unpunished on both sides. 3-frame DP characters plus RAAM and Wulf don’t have to care at all about what strength of Wind Kick was, since light is -4. For Jago’s DP, there is a little bit of spacing dependence, but it’s pretty lenient. I think any button xx M Wind Kick is DP punishable, except for an overhead that hits with the very tip.

When I’m playing RAAM, there’s no way Jago will be able to Wind Kick me without getting punished with a grab into set play razzle dazzle.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m honestly still on the learning curve for punishing wind kick tbh - three years of eating DP’s after it has scarred me :sweat_smile:

Hisako usually can’t punish it (at least not with light influence, which has crap range), so I’m not yet used to “doing something” regardless whenever I see a wind kick. I’ll have to work on that for the next time I run the mirror.

Also a pro tip for Jago players: crouch HP does way more damage than any other fierce for Jago (including stand HP and fwd+HK). Your DP punishes (and whiffed shadow counters etc) should always start with that button if you can remember to use it. Sometimes you’ll want to use fwd+HK if you want to move forward and make sure you hit them, but if they are point blank, use crouch HP. It’s hard to remember if you’re not a Jago main though.

2 Likes

It shouldn’t be hard for me cause omen follows the same principal.