The Official Weekly Tournament of the Forums (WTF) #3 thread

Before I start, thanks to everyone that participated in the first 2 tournaments.

But now:

#It’s time for the Weekly Tournament of the Forums No. 3…
3…3…3…

To start I want to explain what this tournament is about: this is for those of us that don’t have the time to dedicate to a regular tournament, or are only available on certain times of the week, etc. It’s a flexible tournament with a longer time period where you can schedule your matches when you are available, and due to this doesn’t interfere much with everyday life. You’re essentially committing roughly 10 min a week to the tournament, and that’s it. In fact the name is a bit of a joke…kinda like " WTF do all these other tournaments always happen when I’m not available?"

Here are the rules:

Each round of this tournament will take place each week until the tournament is over. Participants will be required during each week to arrange their match, First to 3 wins, sometime during the week and post the results to the Ultra-combo forums in the official tournament thread. If an arrangement cannot be made within the week a judgement call will be made on who advances. When the week is over (midnight CST Thursday night/Friday morning), the next round will begin.
The winner of a match is locked into his character choice, and a player can only change characters to counterpick after a lost match.
#The prize will be a $40 Xbox gift card…er…code.
If you are outside of the US you will need to change the region of your XB1 to redeem it (I’d recommend getting in touch with @Dayv0 if you have any issues, he has mentioned he does this rather frequently)

Recording & posting a video of the match is not required but is

HIGHLY ENCOURAGED.

Seriously, it makes the tournament more fun. If anyone needs any help recording and posting matches, several of the regular participants can help, myself included, so just let us know & we’ll get you going.

Edit: In fact, I just made a quick tutorial that should at least get you started:

Ok…with all of that out of the way, here is the sign-up link:

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/QLYOlPdoLr

And the bracket is here: http://challonge.com/wtftourney3

#The tournament will start on Feb 3
and each round will start the following week, so you have until 11:59pm Thursday CST to get your matches in. If the bracket fills up we’ll go ahead and get a jump-start on week 1, and by all means you can advance up the bracket early if your matches become available. You don’t have to wait until the start of that week. In fact, this also is highly encouraged as it keeps the tournament from dragging, especially near the end.

Before the start of the tournament all the matchups will be decided via a online randomizer, so don’t go off of what the bracket says who your opponent is going to be before that, as it’ll just fill in names as people sign up.

Also If you participate, go ahead and sign up for the Ultra Combo Weekly Tournament of the Forums club on XBL. That way it will make it easier to find and connect to your opponent.

There are 32 places available. It’d be nice if we can fill them all up, but if not, eh…we’ll roll with it.

…I think that’s about it. If I forgot anything, let me know.

@DescartesTruth @DEClimax @LemonHunter38 @TBDxAdam @FallofSeraphs76 @Thunderb3E @SHAMGODSREIGN @DarkLrdChuckles @Dayv0 @ItzTymeToDul

Edit:
My apologies for not making this clear within the rules earlier, but with the numerous ways of communicating possible with opponents there needs to be a standard, and with this tournament being “of the FORUMS” you all participants need to keep an eye on this thread to stay updated on the happenings with the tournament.

Edit 2: As per request I am adding this just to make things clear. While this is not enforceable on an instant-to-instant basis I will keep this under consideration when making judgement calls on who advances in the case that players don’t meet their deadlines: I highly recommend when communicating to your opponent, be courteous in the way you handle it. Set a specific meeting time, then send a message to see if they’re ready to start the match, then send your game invites. Don’t just look to see if your opponent is online and then start spamming game invites to them. Be considerate of their situations.

12 Likes

@SlenderCashew50 @NashBlade @ZTRAINOVER9000 @BigBadAndy @PVT1AORyanBay @KevBones10 @FerasMM
@Draigh @Zcythe @TheNinjaOstrich

4 Likes

@GalacticGeek @PVXenoraptor And anyone else that might be interested.

2 Likes

Q: Why only 36 slots?

A: Considering the last tournament we struggled to get up to 24, while I’m optimistic, I’m really not even sure we’ll get enough participants to even hit 36. If we do and even more want in, I’ll let them in.

1 Like

Well, you got 3 so far. :wink:

1 Like

Yes this was cool, I’m in. Learned a lot from playing you guys.

1 Like

Haha, guess who’s from England.

Don’t worry, If I win, and @TheNinjaOstrich is playing, I’ll just give it to him :wink:

I’m in, havent been playing that much lately (been working on my backlog) so pretty rusty, but oh well, its all about the fun :grin: (And its not like I could win that giftcard :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

@WrathOfFulgore sign up plss?

Well, now that’s favoritism, now isn’t it? If both of you participate, the odds of Ostrich getting that prize are twice that of anyone else.

Boo! :anguished:

1 Like

*Shrug *

If he wants to give it to me, I don’t mind. He’s still got to win it though.

1 Like

@oTigerSpirit @ItzTymeToDul @MandrillManiac @SonicDolphin117 @Sasuke99I @MaruMDQ @MDMMORNING @DoobyDude23 @STORM179 @VerminatorX

2 Likes

Probably still can’t join :confused: Got stuff like school on my tail (do mandrills have tails?)

Also I’m in one of those moods but I won’t go into it. :sweat:

I`m in. I just pray my crapternet will allow me to play.

2 Likes

The link is in the OP, but here you go: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/QLYOlPdoLr

SlenderCashew50 won the last tournament, and he’s from Sweden. Like I said in the OP you can change the region settings on your XB1 to the U.S. and you shouldn’t have any issues redeeming the code…if you win, of course.

…I mean if you want to give it away that’s fine too, I’m just saying.

1 Like

While my Fischer-Price internet will probably just assure my opponent is annoyed w/ lag for 5 mins, on the off chance that the Fates smile on me that day - count me in.

I’m gonna do the responsible thing and google how to do the recording thing, cuz I’m gonna need advice on how to do the [x character] thing afterward. I don’t even play this game, yo. XD

With as many people from all over the world that sign up around here, I think it would be safe to say that lag is inevitable.
But with us just doing mostly 1 on 1 exhibition matches I would think lag should be minimal for most.

Also, I didn’t do it for the last tournament, but later today I’m going to make a tutorial video on how to record matches, and I’ll try to cover several methods (I’ve personally used about 4). It may be tomorrow before I can get it all prepared and upload it though.

2 Likes

I’m in and you’re up to 15 as if this moment. My travel schedule through February and March is a nightmare so if I make it through the first two rounds I may end up forfeiting - but this is a super fun series for me so thanks, @WrathOfFulgore for setting them up.

1 Like

Hey, no problem. I know I’ve said this before, but my motives were purely selfish since I work most weekends, and most tournaments are on weekends because that’s when most people are off. But I’m glad the series has been so enjoyable for everyone.