The Mummy

Here is the 1st official trailer to the all-new The Mummy film reboot:

It looks pretty neat, cool, and interesting already I wanna say :grinning: :smiley:

I wanna see just because Iā€™m a fan of the mummy franchise, but Tom Cruise doesnā€™t look like he fits the part.

The good news: The new villain in the upcoming Mummy reboot is pretty easy on the eyes. Strong female characters and all that, and of course undead girls are best girls (citation: Killer Instinct, Hotel Transylvania, Scooby Doo, Ju-On). Oh and CG has inevitably gotten better since 1999.

The bad news: Everything else. Why? Why are you doing this? And with TOM CRUISE no less?! And furthermore, what happened to the fun? The adventure? Charismatic characters? The child scarring scenes carnivorous insects and desiccated corpses? Come on, guys.
This movie is going to take a LOT to gain my faith in it. Cute goddess of death mummy lady character notwithstanding, Iā€™m not impressed so far.

3 Likes

Looks like Garbage you canā€™t have a Mummy movie without Brendan Fraser. I donā€™t care how good the actor is in this I donā€™t care if the hole cased is made up of the best actorā€™s in the world if thereā€™s no Brendan Fraser then the movie is crap.

So, Universal has developed a reverse Midas touch of sorts - everything they touch now becomes solid turd.
First ā€˜Dracula Untoldā€™, now thisā€¦ And they say ā€˜Van Helsingā€™ was bad!

1 Like

Whatā€™s funny I still love van helsing to this day, probably my favorite monster movies aside from the first mummy with Brendan Fraser.

1 Like

the first mummy movie was so fun and awesome, a real adventure vibe i got from it. now this? goddamn talk about gutter trash :\

1 Like

I agree. It looks awful. A PG-13 wannabe scare fest, versus the fun and adventurous Sommers films.

Why the Mummy anyway? Universal still hasnā€™t made a decent Wolfman remake! I want WEREWOLVES!!! :smiley:

2 Likes

ā€¦the feels when you actually really like the trailer and is excited for the plan universal has to create a new horror movie cinematic universe with Frankenstein monster, wolf man, Dracula and everything in a interconnected worldā€¦we needed more werewolves in media all there is underworld series for a very long time.

Four pupil eyed part was cool, tom dying at the beginning was surprising and really unique for a movie like this. I didnā€™t expect that for a mummy movie. I also didnā€™t expect people to have such aā€¦attachment to Brandon. I loved the old mummy movies as much as the next mummy fan (especially when I found out that the scorpion king was also apart of that movies universeā€¦some howā€¦) and I know Brandon was a large part that reason but to be surprised he isnā€™t in a reboot? Not even that but to actively dislike the movie because of it?..huh

On the topic of the movie I heard a rumor that the old butler looking guy is the ā€œdr. Jekylā€ who will be getting his own movie soon and when they get around to do the wolf man they are planning on making him Dwayne Johnson. All in all it reminds me of that one movie league of extraordinary gentleman and that has me excited

1 Like

[quote=ā€œHailFireSpawn, post:9, topic:16630ā€]
All in all it reminds me of that one movie league of extraordinary gentleman and that has me excited
[/quote]You know that movie bombed, right? It was 1 of the worst movies ever made, I think.

I also find it funny that many of you guys seem to think that the 1st Mummy movie is the 1 that stars Brendan Frasier. :laughing:

The 1st Mummy movie was made when movies were still in black and white, BTWā€¦

In regards to the Tom Cruise version, Iā€™m kinda ā€œmehā€ on it. Iā€™m getting tired of all this feminist propaganda - female Ghostusters, female mummies, etcā€¦ While Iā€™m all for equality, I donā€™t think this kind of thing is really necessary. Strong female leads and/or supporting roles should be used where I think it actually makes sense - in both the above examples, I donā€™t think it really does.

ā€¦but I digress. :musical_note: The times - they are-a changing! :musical_note:

Looks too Hollywood to me. typical nothing makes since story line and way to over exaggerated.

And yet still I loved it lol. A movie about a team up with some of my favorite old school authors? From nemo, to Dorian gray and jekyl/Hyde as the hulk literally wearing a top hat(which is an idea I am totally fine with and encourage) tom sayer and even the invisible man.

Real talk the movie probably bombed because normal people probably didnā€™t know and recognize the cast. Not many people loved those kinds of book back then like me. At least thatā€™s how I see it. If universal is trying to do something similar.but with far more beloved and recognizeable cast like the wolf man, Dracula and other monster icons I think it could work.

Despite the hate it seems to be getting if it somehow magically gets big enough to become the new avengers but with monster horror creatures I would be pretty happy indeed. We need more classic inspired monster movies

1 Like

We WANT them; we donā€™t need themā€¦

That said, I will admit - while I knew most of the characters from TLoEG, it was my 1st encounter with Dorian Greyā€¦

yes! but we need us a SERIOUS werewolf movie, not some pussified hollywood BS type movie. we need it to be a hard rated R movie where a guy gets the curse, and he starts going on rampages hunting and killing his victims including his loved ones. werewolves are ferocious predators, so i hope to god one day somebody grows some balls and gives us one such movie.

however, i know full well if we do get another werewolf movie its gonna be CG everywhere, bass drops in the trailer after a short moment of silence with some slow mo, PG-13 rating, crap story, crap action, no scary ā– ā– ā– ā– . the one with benicio del toro couldve really did some damage, but they screwed that one up some. the setting though was perfect, the idea of people getting together to hunt him was also very good, wish they ran with that idea more

The original Universal Monster movies were - and are still considered by many - HORROR movies. There was no fun and only a very slight adventurous tone. Until they decided to cross up franchises and add in Abbots and Costellos, that is.

Then came the Hammer remakes, which added colour and gore and retained the serious, dark, horror-savvy tone.

The last time I saw a decent remake of a Universal Monster was ā€˜Bram Stokerā€™s Draculaā€™ in 1992. If they managed to emulate the filmā€™s tone in this reboot series, Iā€™d be stoked (pun not intended).

I did enjoy Fraserā€™s ā€˜Mummyā€™ (the first one is still the best in the series) as it retains the horror element but adds a more adventurous and humorous tone - already straying from 'Bram Stokerā€™s Draculaā€™s approach.

Following the backlash against ā€˜Van Helsingā€™ and the later ā€˜Mummyā€™ movies, Universal was said to reinvent and reboot the franchise in a more serious approach, returning the movies to their horror roots.

That is not what I saw in ā€˜Dracula Untoldā€™ and not what I see in this trailer. I see a return to the epic/adventure/action-packed format all over again.
Soon we will begin having cross-ups, monster mashes and the inevitable addition of a comedic duo somewhere down the line - maybe Harold and Kumar this time around.

Eh, Iā€™ll probably see this, just might wait until it hits Netflix or something first. Iā€™m mildly curious as to why Tom gets resurrected after the plane crash, and Iā€™m totally good for turning my brain off to watch some special effects go down if thatā€™s all weā€™re getting (which it looks like).

The League of Extraordinary Gentlement bombed because it was terrible. The first time we see the invisible man itā€™s this great shot of Andy Serkis putting on his jacket, heavily computer assisted, and paints on his face with the white makeup. Literally every occurrence of him thereafter is just a guy with his entire head painted white, and a black shirt underneath his jacket to simulate his invisibility despite said shirt being incredibly noticeable. Easily the laziest thing Iā€™ve ever seen a film do in order to fake a visual effect as if its audience was comprised entirely of dumbasses.
Then they drove their giant submarine boat through the canals of Venice and expected us to buy it and those are only two things off the top of my head.

If you loved it thatā€™s totally fine, Iā€™m not judging you; I like some truly awful films too, and awful that film definitely is.

Believe this is part of the Universal Monsters shared world reboot.

It should follow:

Dracula Untold 2014
The Mummy 2017
The Wolf Man 2018
Creature of Black Lagoon 2019
Bride of Frankenstein 2019
Invisible Man ???

Looks like everyone wants that Mahvel money.

dracula untold is apart of that new universe? i thought this Mummy was the first one and that they were making another dracula movie

Apparently the guy who played Vlad/Dracula will be showing up in some of these movies, so I would assume its part of them. It matters not to me. Iā€™ve been clamoring for a Creature of Black Lagoon for years.

i havent actually read the classic ā€œcreature from black lagoonā€ so this is a good time as any to actually read it