The "GGs" Thread! (AKA The Enormous Matchmaking and Rational Beef Resolution Thread)

Random question @TempusChaoti (I didn’t think it was worth a brand new topic). I’m moving to Singapore and would like to take my X1 with me. Only issue being that Singapore standard outlet is 220V (50 Hz frequency), as opposed to US standard of 120V (60Hz).

I’ve been trying to find out information on how to let me actually use my X1, but I feel like I’ve just gotten a ton of conflicting information. Looked into transformers to step down the voltage, but the X1 power brick (PSU) has high wattage requirements that go beyond most standard transformer requirements, and because of the frequency difference (most transformers seem to step down voltage, but won’t change frequency waveforms) I’m not sure it would work anyway. I thought about just buying a local X1, but kind of don’t want to do that because I’m not sure how account information will translate for things like games I’ve downloaded and saves I have to an external HDD.

I feel like the best solution would seem to be just getting a PSU that will accept the native Singaporean voltage, but also can’t seem to find a straight answer on if that’s doable or advised. I want to use an official MS brick for this (there are 3rd party ones, but I won’t go that route for quality concerns), but not sure if my US region X1 would accept the plug in the first place, and also not sure where I could purchase said PSU.

Basically, I just want to be able to play my Xbox One in Singapore, and kind of lost on how to make it all work. Any guidance you can provide at all would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If it works the same as between 2 U.S XB1s, switching between the 2 is pretty well seamless, as all your data is tied to your account, not your system.

Although I don’t want to spread misinformation here in regards to international differences.

2 Likes

It shouldn’t matter if you get a new Xbox…make the new Xbox your HOME Xbox. All down loads should re appear in your library and anything on your external drive should be available just as if you were at home.
I would transfer everything to a 2TB external drive and just plug and play.

I could be wrong and Im sure someone from MS telling you this would make you feel more comfortable… but honestly I dont see how it would be any different on your account due to a power source. Just like buying a new Xbox 1 X.

Well, region restrictions can mess things up. The X1 itself is region free for instance, but your Live account itself is tied to a region as well. As in, if I were to set the home location of my X1 to Region 2, I would no longer be able to access any of the money stored on my account for here, and any item purchases from the home screen of such a system would be from that region’s version of the Xbox store.

You can set your X1 home location to anywhere you want and it will still work (so long as you have a valid billing address for the region), but things seem to get a little weird if ever you have to swap between the two. I’d like to just avoid any potential hassle altogether by continuing to use my current system.

AHH…ok…well…Im not sure what you can do then. Maybe your only option is to just try and see?
Seems like regardless of where and how its going to be somewhat of a hassel.

I know @TotalJimkata knows a bit about this stuff since we talked about it and discussed a few issues I had with HOME xbox and data. Maybe he can help you!

I’m clueless to this, but I’ll hit up my friends in ATG and see if I can get a good answer for you.

6 Likes

Hey @Dayv0, IIRC you’ve mentioned to me before that you tend to swap between regions on your XB1…you want to chime in on this?

Of course, what is the question?

Edit: Ok, read a bit

This is not 100% true

My xbox is set in Spain. I got a 50$ code, changed my xbox region to USA, redeemed the code, used the money to buy a game(let’s say, for the sake of the example, Dishonored 2), reverted my region to Spain, and the game is here to use/download, and in my xbox language. So you could still have your xbox region in the USA, even being in Singapore, and use $ to buy in the USA store

Edit 2: Let’s say I used a 50 $ code but Dishonored 2 was 30 $. I set my xbox to Spain, and I can’t use the remaining 20 $ in this region. But if I want, I just have to set it back to USA and bam, there they are, avaible again. You can endessly change your region without problem

I’m clueless about the voltage issue

1 Like

Look above at @STORM179 's last few posts.

I wouldn’t bet my life on it, but my guess is the power brick on the Xbox one is able to deal with either 120 or 220 volts. Most consumer electronics are coming with this now. I used to carry a down converter on my travels but for the last ten years or so I basically just use a plug adapter. It’s not like it used to be, when plugging your US appliances into a socket in europe would make them explode.

The only caveat is that almost everything I travel with is a portable device that has an internal battery and therefore uses an AC adapter. So I can’t guarantee that this will hold true for the Xbox, although I suspect it will.

If not, oddly a lot of places have 120v sockets in the bathroom even in countries with a 220V standard. You could always run an extension cord… yeah never mind.

I will say this… I don’t know how it would handle in other countries, but I did mess up the wiring going to the outlet my kids’s XB1 was hooked into once unintentionally and sent 240v to it…it blew the power brick. :confounded:
Thankfully the XB1 itself was still ok.

1 Like

Sorry for the double post. I found a support link which you have probably already seen:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/about-power-supply

They describe three different types of PSU, an110-120, a 220-240 and a 110-240. At the end of the day you need to get hold of this last one somehow and use it. I can’t imagine MS support can’t sell you one as a spare part somehow… you should only need the AC cord that goes between the brick and the wall, but who knows? EDIT: based on @WrathOfFulgore’s post it looks like you do need a whole brick. Probably this has to do with the fuse inside thatbthey discuss in the article.

Good luck! I bet this is the tip of the iceberg for the joys of an international move.

Yeah, from what I’ve seen trying to plug in the Region 1 PSU into a 220V socket will most certainly fry the brick. Just getting another PSU for the region I’ll be in seems the most straightforward way to handle it, but feel like I’ve gotten sketchy answers on how available such things are for purchase or whether they’ll fit in my R1 Xbox.

Lol. It most certainly is! There’s a reason it’s taken me this long to finally get around to asking questions about how I’m going to play my videogames :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

For those that may not have an External hard drive they are on sale right now at Game stop for like 89$ for 2TB.
I have 2 of them, they are worth it for travel, and making sure you never have to uninstall any game when you purchase a new game for HD space reasons.

Well I managed to find a couple of stores in Bahrain and a few in india too that sold power bricks for consoles, so shouldn’t be particularly hard to find in Singapore, I don’t think. They will most probably be 3rd party though, mostly trustworthy (I would recommend a store purchase instead of online. Less hassle and a recognizable source in case things go wrong).

GGs to @SneerfulWater57 who I ran into three times in a row in ranked…I think. It might have been four, lol. :smiley:

It was three. I remember them very clearly. Well played. @oTigerSpirit as well.

1 Like

I thought so, but then my aging mind started playing tricks on me, lol.

Ggs to @reeeek20 for our back and forth set today! He handedly crushed me during our first run through in Ranked and I came back for revenge during our second set! :smiley:

I’m sure his Aganos wished he had a bigger fly swatter! :smiley:

Ah, I knew your name seemed familiar! Good Kim dude, you had very solid neutral. Ggs.