The "GGs" Thread! (AKA The Enormous Matchmaking and Rational Beef Resolution Thread)

Had someone do that to me the other day. I just held up and didn’t let go. He whiffed his shadow trying to trip guard me, and I just blocked the grenade while he was recovering.

Arbiter absolutely can create inescapable situations with his grenade/command grab setups, but I actually don’t think shadow command grab is the best way to go about it. It’s still super early and I could absolutely be wrong, but that’s my take on it for now.

It’s true, my timing has to be super specific. Otherwise I get stuffed. It’s happened a lot to me.

I was fiddling around with aganos vs arbiter and noticed his hurtbox doesn’t disappear immediately. So I started press buttons and kept smacking him before he went invisible. I just went up in frames till he was able to grab me. I cam eto the conclusion that there’s a 15-16 frame window. Which alot of shadow moves can easily bop arby out of shadow CG from almost full screen.

I don’t deny that, however I will say that in the heat of battle, the average player probably won’t be thinking about that right away. This allows for me to land the setup 2 or 3 times before the other player begins to react to it.

Well of course. We aren’t perfect so we can get away with stuff like this. It’s how things like thunder can tick throw people with call of the earth.

Pretty late on this, but GGs to @BHswordsman09 for the very educational Cinder v Arbiter set we had. I embarrassingly got bodied by throws and pressure way more often than I should have but I learned a lot :wink:

2 Likes

GG’s to @AnodyneGeno, it was a fun evening of close-fought matches.

A very even matchup, regardless of characters!

1 Like

Yess GGs to you as well! Thank you for the laid-back atmosphere, it made it very enjoyable, though I’m sorry if I rambled a little bit during matches. Byproduct of nerves! Anyways I gotta train my Arbiter up, I feel like that was one matchup where there was a pretty clear skill gap, but it was still fun!

1 Like

I prefer my matches laid-back and chatty, it keeps them relaxed, fun and loose, which sometimes also gives me the confidence to experiment too.

Ranked is all business, but an exhibition with a friend is the most fun one can have with this game, in my opinion. Looking forward to some rematches in the future!

1 Like

I had a fun set with my friend @Marbane0 this evening. Ran into him randomly while searching for matches in exhibition. :slight_smile:

1 Like

GG’s to @RGLOfficial - ran into you in ranked tonight. Your Arbiter was pretty solid.

Kinda funny that we got to test out the very scenario we were discussing about grenades and command grabs. :slight_smile: Between your match and a few other Arbiters I ran into tonight, I’m pretty much convinced that the grenade->command grab actually isn’t all that good, at least not at range. When they disappear for the command grab, you can basically just hold up - the grenade will sit you back down, but Arbiter will whiff the command grab and you’ll wind up in a more or less neutral state. If he times it absolutely perfectly I imagine he could instead get recap->command grab, but if Hisako is anything to go by, doing a command grab off a stagger is almost useless, as the command grab scales so much that it does less damage than just doing a raw command grab.

So either way it’s better for the opponent to jump if he sees Arbiter go for a command grab while he’s stuck - either he gets recapped and Arbiter whiffs the command grab, or he gets recapped and gets hit by a command grab for less damage than what the raw command grab would have done anyway.

1 Like

A bit late, but GGs to @mandrillmaniac!

Still improving my Tusk, long way to go!! Thunder its a really interesting match up, you took advantage of the new skyfall follow ups very well indeed!

I would like to play more intensive sets, I heard about @TheNinjaOstrich and @STORM179 playing like +80 games session and that was amazing!!

3 Likes

Speak for yourself. I tried exactly what you’re talking about and still got destroyed routinely by his setups… SIGH

1 Like

I did? I would have remembered running into you. You sure it was me? EDIT: I found you in my recent players list. We did fight. But I have no memory of it whatsoever…

Another edit: I just rewatched our fight, I did terrible. I wouldn’t use that match as an example of the setups we were talking about cause I never even used them!

Lol, fair enough. Interested in playing a small set sometime? I’m curious about what setups exactly you’re talking about. I was actually trying to get a sense while we were playing for what you were talking about (which I why I kept throwing heavy linkers at you), but if those weren’t it then color me still curious. :slight_smile:

After I complete work on some new Hisako videos, I’ll be online pretty much all weekend and would love to play some sets with you cats :smiley:

@STORM179 - I have some plans in mind for a S3 Hisako tutorial, and I’d love to work with you on it so I can make sure we stay fresh and on point, I’ll PM you about it sometime soon.

Yeah sure! Hopefully I’ll remember it too ROFL.

Cool beans. I’ll be on the lookout for it :slight_smile:

Random question (and perhaps better suited to the Hisako sub-forum), but what’s your take on the new stagger mechanics for her? I’ve found it to mostly be not all that useful - it’s not possible to hit one in a normal combo unless you’re in instinct or start off with a counter, and it makes your rekkas off confirmation breakable. And the ability to throw off of it doesn’t seem super strong since it scales the command grabs so heavily and her normal grab gives an easy binary choice to break.

It lets you style a bit once you’re in instinct, but to be honest it doesn’t seem to give you any options that you kind of didn’t already have with her crazy counter hit shenanigans from S2. Just curious on your take with it.

1 Like

Thanks man, looking forward to it :smiley:

I’ll reply with my thoughts on stagger in the S3 Hisako Thread

I signed up for 8BitBeatdown tomorrow. Actually i wanted to climb up to Killer again this weekend, but i guess my time is better spend playing longer sets.

So if you want to take a break from ranked and have some time this weekend for a FT5/FT10 just let me know. I will probably be available in 3-4 hours from now.

Feel free to add me, or for those who are already on my friendslist, just send me a message.

Thanks and have a nice weekend!