Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

Being in the air removes one tier of priority from moves. So an air special is equivalent to a grounded heavy, an air heavy will trade with a grounded medium, and so on and so forth.

1 Like

Thanksā€¦ I didnā€™t know that

Alsoā€¦ forgot to mentionā€¦ when I say AAā€™s in SFV feel random its because of the inconsistency of the executionā€¦ this is why I mention Fantasy Strike and its one button Policyā€¦

Especially when I have Critical Artā€¦ since Iā€™m crouch blockingā€¦ going from that into a DP causes the Critical Art to come out instead.

Also donā€™t you think its redundant for characters who do have a good cr. HP to Also have a DP that hits at the same angle ?

Both games had 6A/6P anti-airs for a good number of characters. Not every character did though and they just made their anti-airs a different button or something.

1 Like

I canā€™t wait for my fight pad to arriveā€¦ I wana see if it makes a difference.

And if it doesnā€™t Iā€™m going to need to think of other games I can try it onā€¦ DmC seems promisingā€¦ and a few Racing Games tooā€¦ platformers obviously.

DPs serve more than just being anti airs. Here are some differences.
They are faster.(way faster but compensated for harder execution)
Wake up(not in SFV though)
More punishable.

2 Likes

Why does it need ā€œCompensatingā€ ?

Since the Universal Nerf to meterless DPā€™s In Street Fighter V they are essentially just dedicated Anti-Airs now. They still deal optimal damage for the characters that have them but its purpose as an anti-air is more prevalent than anything elseā€¦

That being said now that Iā€™ve seen a Fighting Game With One Button invincible Reversals Iā€™m even more confused than ever as to why easy execution DPs would be OP inā€¦ wellā€¦ any other Fighting Game

It needs compensating because theyā€™d be way too good. DPā€™s do a ton of damage and are really ā– ā– ā– ā–  fast. If they didnā€™t have more complex inputs, the game would not be fun to play. GUARANTEED.

Finaly got my Padā€¦
6b4288ad427f3f8402f94f7270532e74

To test drive the pad I decided to try Street Fighterā€™s Flag Ship Characterā€¦ again.

I donā€™t really like ryu but I donā€™t really dislike him eitherā€¦ but Iā€™ve always had difficulty with his Dragon Punch in pretty much every situationā€¦
I canā€™t do it Raw, not quickly enough to anti-air anyways.
I canā€™t do it in combos from lights or crouching normalsā€¦ not even with the :arrow_lower_right: trick.
And I canā€™t do it as a Reversal because the CA just comes out whenever I have 3 Bars.

But with the new padā€¦ its a teeny tiny bit better. The D-Pad isnā€™t all that different from the one on the 360 Controller so its no surprise my DPs are still unreliableā€¦ but I did notice fewer accidental CAā€™s and Fireballsā€¦ the problem is the same as many other controllersā€¦ The Diagonals are just difficult to hit without readjusting my thumb positioning or even my grip on the Controller.

Its the Weekend so I can grind hard for that actual XPā€¦

2 Likes

Then Slowā€™em Downā€¦

Controller inputs are just middle management, the fun of the game comes from the GamePlayā€¦ the things that actually happen in the gameā€¦ if you think DP motions are fun then try turning off the game and just doing DPs Inputs to a blank Screenā€¦ still think its fun ?

The subject of invisible design is often one if the most overlooked and underappreciated part usabilityā€¦ some of the most convenient things we interact with are good specifically because they draw as little attention to themselves as possible, Like doors or mugsā€¦ Controllers and Controll schemes are the same. If it does draw attention to itself then that means something is wrong. If walking through a door requires consious effort and attention that means theres something wrong with it, perhaps its a sliding door with a nobā€¦ perhaps the door only opens in one direction but uses a push bar on both sides. This is essentially what the execution barrier is in Fighting Gamesā€¦

I donā€™t interact with doors because I like doors I interact with them because thatā€™s how you get into a Room/Buildingā€¦ and the less attention a door draws torwards itself the better the whole experience of getting in and out of Rooms will be.

The Gameplay is the Room/Buildingā€¦ the Controls/Excution is The Door.

I wonder if Iā€™l ever live long enough to see the day when we control games with brain signalsā€¦ that would be interesting.

Try doing ANY INPUTS TO A BLANK SCREEN. I guarantee itā€™s about as fun as DPā€™s to a blank screen.

2 Likes

You should play Simon.

I donā€™t think you have any understanding as to why a move has a harder input compared to others. A game where everything that was intended to have inputs are now 1-button commands would be HORRIBLE. Fulgore DPā€™s on reaction. EVERY TIME. Guile Flash Kick with no charge. EVERY TIME.

That is anti-fun, and removes a lot of the skill involved.

What youā€™re describing happens in Fantasy Strikeā€¦ Everytime.

You know what else is anti-funā€¦ trying to DP and getting something else instead. As for the skillā€¦ its not really removing it if most of the players donā€™t have and probably wonā€™t achieve that skill to begin withā€¦ if players want their difficult inputs they can haveā€™emā€¦ all I want I alternate inputs.

Speaking Of Guile and Charge movesā€¦ why isnā€™t there some sort of Indicator to let you know when your charge is Ready ?

If most players donā€™t take the time to develop the skill (something that is acquired over time, not something that is inherent), then itā€™s their own fault. No one shoots 3 pointer shots on a basketball court without practice first.

I get that most players are casual players so its natural to assume theyā€™re just lazyā€¦ but I have been practicing and I havenā€™t gotten any better at itā€¦ Iā€™ve peaked. Does that seem fair to you ?

I doubt youā€™ve peaked, unless thereā€™s some sort of mental block youā€™re having. In that case, you can always use other controllers that could make the input easier (like a Hitbox). Just because you canā€™t do it, doesnā€™t mean the game has to suffer its design for that purpose.

A Mental Block ? What does my mentality have to do with how slow my thumbs are ?

So I should pay more money just so I can play a game I already paid for better ?

As I said beforeā€¦ those who want difficult inputs can keep themā€¦ Iā€™m merely asking for an Alternative for those of us who are already suffering.

This is a YOU problem, not the game, considering the majority of people who play fighting games on a regular basis can do the inputs no problem. If you get alternate inputs, then whatā€™s stopping the better players from just using the easier ones to do better? Counterintuitive.

I can do the it no problem in Training modeā€¦ anybody can. The problem os using the Move for its intented purpose. You donā€™t consider it an EVERYBODY problem when even the Best players in the World donā€™t DP Jump Ins ? Or when they they do get a DP when trying to do a Fireball after walking forward ?

Even from a Spectatorā€™s Perspective, is it fun watching the best place be let down by the gameā€™s controls ? Well the obvious answer is yes because people love Upsets & Surprises. It May happen only once in a blue moon or the best players but it happens a moderate number of times for most playersā€¦

First of allā€¦ I have no issues with other players doing betterā€¦ thats kinda why I brought this upā€¦ I want to see more consistent Punishes, Anti-Airs and Combosā€¦ Donā€™t you ? Or are you going to say Tokido should Train Harder ?

Second of Allā€¦

Counterintuitive ?

Could you explain ?

Reaction times exist.

Again, itā€™s a skill. Which can be thrown off by the stress of fighting another person, where you need to act as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Having powerful special moves with harder inputs purposefully put into them is counter intuitive if they just end up allowing for easier inputs anyway. The whole point of a SPD is that itā€™s a huge, unblockable move that also does a ton of damage. To compensate for that, it has a 360 motion prerequisite in order to use it. If it were DD+P, then the move would be way too strong. The Zangief players become way more obnoxious and powerful, which leads to the community complaining, which then leads to NERFS, making the huge move even less interesting or fun that when it had the original motion.

I think weā€™re done here.