"Straightforward" Characters vs. Resource-Intensive Characters

I’m curious: Are there any particular play styles styles you’d like to see? Or any special mechanic you might like to experiment with?

Apologies if I’m being too invasive, since I know you’re already working on new stuff.

I chose to put Shadow Jago there given the whole context of the character. Surge is important for Shago because it’s his only way for him make reasonably safe approaches at the opponent, and if he spends it excessively then he’ll be starved for meter to do formidable damage and cash out his juggles. Even though it’s just a spin on traditional meter usage, I do think it’s something he needs to watch enough for him to be considered resource-intensive.

Gargos is another character in a grey area, but I put him there because I believe his minions and managing them are very important to his competitive gameplan.

Omen probably needs to manage his meter less because of that, if anything.

Oh well can’t blame a guy for trying.

1 Like

I think whatever IG plans to do, I don’t think it’ll be a problem, we already have such a rich diverse roster, there really isn’t anyway to stump it (unless we have more than one guest from the same franchise…)

And while it’s good to have more straight forward characters they STILL have to be different enough in their gameplay to really mean anything.

You can put these characters into two categories, but if you ask me, they’re al a gradient. Wheter or not they may use these resources or not they’re all pretty much a big blend. Certain characters that can play without too much reosurce management.

Hmm, this is for sure an interesting conversation and one of the many reasons I love this game, I have another question to add to this thread though:-

Who are the risk/reward characters that have to take the greatest risks and have to work super hard to get their rewards?

Having not played all of the cast yet, (or not played all of the cast to a high enough level to judge fairly) I’d say I think Maya and Mira probably have to work the hardest and maybe Kan-Ra and Aganos are in there too?

But in the same line of reasoning I’d discredit good Hisakos who know all the setups, how to use Wrath effectively (which is not that hard to get back if you know what you’re doing) and don’t blind counter constantly, at high level she’s very viable and I feel that other characters take much bigger risks for much less of a reward.

I’m just curious as to what people’s opinions are.

Personally I feel like even if a character does have a resource, that might not make them super dependent on it. Characters like Aganos and Kan Ra rely much more on their resources than characters like Cinder or Kim Wu.

1 Like

Eh…Hisako’s a lot less safe than people give her credit for. She has tools to condition against you trying to punish her, but she’s basically always punishable any time she tries to open you up.

1 Like

True, but the pay off often seems to balance the risks she takes to get it, I’m just asking who in the cast in everyone’s opinion is always fighting the biggest uphill battle in terms of risk/reward?

Difficulty in using the character, tricky timing on moves and limited chances to use certain moves/certain moves being impractical/less than viable could all be factors in people’s opinions and I know tiers don’t really count in KI, I just wondered what people thought.

So I guess we got another “Straightforward” character now