Stick suggestions for KI XBOX

Apologies if this has been asked. I have an elite controller worked great initially then about 3 months inputs started being weird. Went to the store got an exchange. Go warranty!

This new controller is ALOT better than the last elite. Starting to play a bit more and wondering if I should just purchase a stick instead. I’ve looked at a few but not sure where to start? The guy at BB told me they sold some sticks but he didn’t see them in stock.

Suggestions?

Sorry for the typos on the phone.

The MadCatz TE2 and the Razer Atrox seem to be the most popular.
I have two TE2s and love them, but have never tried any others.

1 Like

When I played a lot of SF4 on the 360, I used a Mad Catz Tournament Edition. On KI, I upgraded to a Mad Catz TE2 fightstick. Been going for over 2 years now, and shows no signs of slowing down. I’m a fan of the Mad Catz design fair to say.

I would recommend the TE2 version over the smaller model sticks they sell too. They’re both functional, and a matter of preference, but I like the weight of the TE2 so I feel like it’s not going to go anywhere on me while I’m playing if I lay it on a flat surface. Surface area is much bigger too, so you can rest your hands on it like you would on a good keyboard. It’s major drawback is that if you have to carry it around for a while, you probably want a backpack or a satchel of some kind to put it in, because it can wear at you if you have to hold it for a long time. It’s also got compartments on the inside to store the USB cord and a torx screwdriver needed to do most of the mod work you would ever want to do on the stick. It’s pretty easy to mod these things, like changing out buttons, switching ball tops, changing the front panel artwork.

1 Like

@KrizmKazm and @IronFlame thank you both. I’m going to research the TE2. I’m a beginner to with a fight stick. This will be interesting. Lol

A word of advice, the precision it gives requires a lot of practice. Make sure it’s worth it to you to get one, and know you will need practice, and most likely will lose a lot until you get it down. It didn’t take long for me, but a little over a month’s work is gonna be required at least for the adjustment.

I’m not trying to dissuade you, I’m just trying to inform you that your experience with it will be tough. I’m not going to pull the wool over your eyes and convince you it’s easy to pick up stick, but if you really want it, you can do it. It takes everyone a little while at first. Later, when you become more practiced with it, inputting things like DP style commands becomes a LOT easier. After that, the motions are muscle memory, and you focus more on playing the game instead of having your attention divided by learning stick and playing at the same time.

1 Like

Thank you for the tips. :thumbsup: I know it will take time to get accustomed to it . I just didn’t realize the elite and most fight sticks were the same price. I’ve been reading while the elite is good ( I do like mine ) they do not last long 6 -9 months or less.

Rather than constant swapping I figured I might as well invest in a quality product.

They’d freakin better! I own one of those too! Got it for Halo and Destiny.

But the Mad Catz stuff is pretty durable by comparison.

Lol!! How long have you had yours? I know of a few people mentioned that are on their 3 or 4th controller in less than 6 months. :frowning2:

Yeah the madcatz seems cool I like what I’m reading so far.

Approaching 6 months now. No signs of problems yet. Then again, the elite is the one I really take care of more than all the others.

No prob dude! I have some tutorial videos that may be useful, at the top of this thread:
http://forums.ultra-combo.com/t/free-madcatz-te2-atrox-templates-and-help-videos/

1 Like

I have the razer atrox, and would not recommend it over the TE2

Can you explain? I have a TE2 and it works very well. I do have some complaints about Madcatz service and I had to replace the Joystick switch unit because one of the switches stopped working reliably. The plexiglass for artwork is awesome but it tends to poke up. These are minor things though.

I have plenty of other madcatz stick which work fine.

Maybe check my comment again, I was not speaking negative about the TE2

Thanks man the tutorials are a big help.

I know, I was giving you some context about my own experience. I was just curious why you wouldn’t recommend the Atrox over the TE2. Because it’s bad? Because it’s exactly the same? I just wanted some more details.

My issue with the razer is mostly just durability… For such a big bulky stick it doesn’t feel very well reinforced. The lid flexes in relatively easy compared to other sticks. If choosing again, I would pick the TE2.
I have a previous generation Madcatz stick, and it feels like a tank compared to the razer.
Not that it has ever affected me, but there have been a few issues with the atrox in tournaments requiring the player to change sticks.

1 Like

Thank you for putting in feedback on the Razor I looked at a few reviews. One review stated the stick stopped working at EVO lol omg. That’s horrible. Otherwise it looked like it had decent reviews.

I looked at this too http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019MFPLC0/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Might be something of use for me.

Yeah, Razer sticks have something of a running tab of breaking down during the Top 8’s of major tournaments. They apparently provide their sponsored players with prototype sticks, and those suckers have kind of developed a reputation for messing up once people get near the end.

Been using the stick on and off for a few weeks now. Wow like night and day! I still fumble some execution but my inputs are a bit smooth I feel like I’m no longer pressing buttons. Lol

Whadjya get, whadjya get, whadjya get, don’t keep use in suspense! Was it the Mad Catz TE 2? Razor Atrox?

Also, yeah, your button inputs are much more controllable, and hand dexterity usually makes those large button presses much quicker and easier than the console controller precision you could try for. The real challenge comes from mastering the joystick. Going from a crouching block to a standing block without accidentally going too far and getting a jump input, getting the hang of new motion inputs, and experimenting with new timings, it’s a lot to process but you’ll get it eventually.

1 Like