Stereotypes, tropes, and clichés

Got anything else?

I’d like an alien Grey. Sinister little guy with immense telekinetic powers.

Also, B-movie giant insect :grinning:

Well, Glacius is practically the former, but with a super-suit that makes him look a lot bigger; and if Cinder’s concept art is anything to go by, he was almost the latter. :wink:

I think it would be interesting to see a totally blind character, maybe with a white cane that has been re-assembled into a fighting weapon. Not along the lines of daredevil (the movie’s idea of being able to see a person’s looks through raindrops is totally ludicrous), but with the idea of having agile moves that allow him to traverse the stage whilst also having slower, easy to see normals/specials. Maybe you could even have the other way round - the character walks with the cane, making a distinct tapping noise, having quick and accurate strikes with the cane or fists/body if up close.

Maybe he has a darkness/sensory overload meter whereby he can either make the screen go totally dark for a period of time or have the other character’s buttons change for a period of time (think Jason from MKX on that last one). I draw that first one from the confusion it gives players when they face me in blindfold matches, right @GalacticGeek?

As an idea, for his instinct he gets a speed and damage boost (a slight one), and maybe the ability to fold the cane into two and use it as two separate pieces of the same weapon.

For a backstory, we could even keep a japanese character and role the blind/old stereotype into one:
(I’ve tried to keep this gender neutral, so sorry if the wording sounds a bit odd)

After Ultratech’s reach expanded further into biomedical sciences and the study of the human body, Aria, in her seemingly endless machinations as the company’s CEO, began researching new ways to allow anyone, regardless of background, circumstance or anything else, to see her new vision in all its wonderous glory. She knew that with a mind uncluttered by images of the world around it, she would have what she considered to be the most suitable test subject. She found a warrior who, having never seen the sunrise or the constilations, would theoretically understand the plans that would drag humanity, kicking and screaming, into the future.

The warrior was willing to listen to the plans of the world’s largest coorporation, but that didn’t mean abandoning all that was held dear. Friends, family and above all, life without sight. After spending months, maybe even years in training (the passage of time was difficult to study within the facility), the warrior realised that the time had come to do something about the situation. The plans have been laid down, but there is one way of stopping them from coming to their dark and near inevitable conclusion. Calling upon former students and entering along with them into the largest fighting tournament, the likes of which, up to this point, the world has never seen. Without the aid of eyes, the first line of defense for the vast majority, the warrior must assist in guiding mankind back along a path towards a brighter future.

Let me know what you think - I don’t write posts like this often if at all on here, but I thought since I can talk from the standpoint of a person with no vision whatsoever that the character might feel a little closer to a realistic portrayal rather than the super-sensory overload version used in most pop culture references (again, looking at you, daredevil film). I know I didn’t mention the time aspect here, but as I say, merely an idea that might be interesting to see if handled with enough care and attention to detail.

Actually, to briefly go off-topic for a moment, wouldn’t it be good to have a mode where you could actually play blindfold matches without having to turn away from your screen - the loading screen is there, then it gradually fades out, with the words “blindfold match in progress” in the centre to let you know that everything’s working as it should and nothing else until the match ends, where you can see who won etc (or maybe once the winning blow is struck you can see the rest of the combo etc). Could be good fun for casuals but interesting for competetive play as well.

So, now we have an honorable and old samurai mentor, possibly drunken-fighter, who also happens to be blind, and wants to save the world from utter destruction?

NICE! :slight_smile:

I’m glad you like it, I think it would be just the right amount of crazy things to role into one character :smiley:

A wendigo, vampire and a ventriloquist/puppet.
(For wendigo it can have the same move-set as Pumpkinhead from Terrordrome)

A Sherlock Holmes-Rorschach detective can probably fit in for the next game. But not in the 3rd season though I’m afraid.

For a gunslinger, I don’t know how it can fit since Stryker feels cop and Erron Black is a cowboy. I mean how to bring out a “Judge Dredd” out of that?

What about a vampire? Like which pop cultures can fit into KI? Not just one.
a) Dracula (Castlevania)
b) Blade
c) Underworld
d) Legacy of Kain