Sportsmanship, good practices, and how to be a better player

4 Likes

Great topic @Dayv0, I do think sportsmanship is somehtign that can ease up a loss. When I win or lose in a match, I tell them following. “Good game
and good luck in your next match/fight” even if I end up facing them again.

To be honest though, the only person that gets me mad when I lose is @JEFFRON27 but thats sibling rivalry stuff and it doesn’t happen very often. Never the less,

Never the less, it was about time someone addressed this, and frankly, I couldnt’ve said it any better myself.

1 Like

Why can’t I have this, @Dayv0? Isn’t this exactly what we were discussing in another thread?

No, because Andy and I drop the controller while talking, and the tech is discussed in conversation while watching replays or after posts discussions about replays.

So it’s NOT what you were asking, it’s what I(anmong others) was offering but you didn’t want.

Please, continue that conversation in the other thread

Incoming Wall of Text!

(with some added goodies for your viewing pleasure)

Dehumanize? Whatever do you mean

Being humble goes a long way, it is easy to get caught up in our emotions and pride to an extent where we rub it in. That can hurt because someone who loses is already frustrated that they lost, some people are more accepting in that loss, but nonetheless, no one likes to lose. Taking that into consideration it is always important to remember to embrace your victory with joy, but never overconfidence and douchiness.

I tend to mock this idea often in a pretentious and overconfident attitude, I call it, “Way of the Douche”. I hope people understand that I do that on purpose and in no way mean it, especially in the midst of battle. I think @MaruMDQ actually got the wrong impression and forever labeled me that guy because of my overconfidence, haha.

Speaking of which, better get ready for my run back! I’m not holding back this time, step up.

This makes sense, which is why I still value the idea of apprenticeships, to find a mentor/master goes a long way. It sounds silly sure, but as you say, “Losing to an unkown adversary is harder to swallow. Because we don’t know who defeated us, so we can start guessing wrong stuff: he was lucky, he didn’t deserved it
”.

When we train under someone close to us, we understand these mistakes better, so long as we actively engage the matchup preparing to learn. I say this often, but I truly cannot say thank you enough to someone I consider a Mentor/Master, @TheNinjaOstrich. He helped me understand how to utilize Jago to his fullest to the point where I am certainly a worthy opponent, despite what your fellow top KI players say about me haha. Seriously, though, if it wasn’t for his guidance I would have easily continued on my bad habits, winning purely on a silly strategy.

Such is the way, of a fighting game. I came into the fighting game community quite late. I actually considered fighting games the second-to-last liked genre of fighting games because I didn’t understand players or fundementals for that matter.

I played SF4 Vanilla completely casually and took on computer on the highest difficulty for fun, eventually I lost interest because it wasn’t as hype when I understood the AI. MK9 was another stepping-stone to understand the fundementals of fighting games and player’s mindset. However, I didn’t much enjoy the matchups and never found a character I becamed attached to like Ryu/Jago.

Once I played KI, I wanted to not only find enjoyment as a casual, learning the fundementals, training in the dojo, etc. I took it a step farther this time though, I logged onto the old forums with the name, AngryToaster and this profile picture.

I was more of a troll than anything, just reading and posting nonsense. Once we migrated to these forums I took the time to value data, characters and matchups. I took everything I learned casually and went into my very fist online match, taking the match by adapting quickly in the midst of losing.

http://xboxclips.com/oTiger+Spirit/f1f8de0f-e76c-4a18-a2c5-436f02df9798

I learned how to win, but never to be a good player. That came when I needed help and asked one of the more known Jago players on the forum at the time, our local Samurai Emu! This is where I not only learned how to grow as a stronger player, but as one who would value the match, opponent and victory/loss.

Such is the way, the way of a fighting game.

Apologies for the life story there.

Your situation is quite difficult to analyze. You are a solid player and I will always vouch for you when I say that you are a good player also in the definition outlined in this thread. You have a scary Hisako because you essentially pick apart the players along with the character. Take Jago for instance, you are aware of his strengths, but you go beyond that as you know my weaknesses and crush me completely.

I’ll be brutally honest, it is not all that fun to play with you when I am just playing for fun, as you are naturally a competitor. It isn’t a bad thing, I understand that even as we play on a scale of pure pleasure, everyone can justify how they play for fun differently. So, it depends on the situation. When I am ready to put my heart into it, I can stress how amazing it is, even if I lose they are always intense. But, for me, it is no fun losing when I am using Eyedol or some other character I just play to appreciate their animation. Though this is just me, I am a casual competitor, I often play solely for fun and every so often for crazy and intense sets.

I hope that makes sense, I don’t mean to seem like I’m calling you out for something or saying you aren’t a good player. You are, I just play differently, which is why I often play alone, because this mindset isn’t only exclusive to you, per say.

Could be worse though, people could just hate you for the character you use. I remember you said that you actually don’t recieve hate mail, which was surprising to me. As a Jago main, I won’t go a day without getting crap for winning or losing. I’m either cheap or free.

This surprising helps, not just you, but the other player who may be upset. I ended up fighting a solid Mira way back when with our local Descartes Truth without knowing who he was at the time. I won, while using a not so honest play style and expected hate mail. I received a message, but he was friendly relatively easy-going, which made me appreciate the idea of saying that to anyone who wins or losses. It goes a long way, it truly does.

I can do this sometimes too, especially as of recent
 I actually taunted a totally innocent guy, well he was playing really ridiculously. Full-screen endo spam, slides and dash grabs. But still, he never disrespected me even if I taunted him.

Where you at bruh? Step up.

I kind of feel the same way, but Shadow Lords did it for me, kept me coming back. It isn’t a popular mode by any means, but for casuals and people like me, it really sat well.

That took a long time to write, lots of distractions. Hope it isn’t too bad of a post.

8 Likes

:smile:

2 Likes