Something's missing

The sounds great to me. The one thing I don’t like about SL is that with everything going on, I don’t really enjoy the story because I’m too wrapped up in what mission do I pick next before the omens start showing up.

Personally I don’t think it would’t take away from KI lore wise to have maybe a couple of story missions for the guests. I mean think about this…did having a side quest involving the Battletoads or Kratos take away from Shovel Knight? As far as I can remember it was a fun distraction, but it certainly didn’t take away from the rest of the game.

2 Likes

No animosity. I’m not upset in the slightest, just annoyed maybe. Annoyed that they aren’t going as far as they could/should with these characters.

You don’t see a connection between playing the game and the lore? Is that what you are saying?

MK is a special case in some ways when it comes to story and lore. NRS takes their lore pretty seriously, and it shows in their movie quality story mode, and all the writing that goes into the story that surrounds it. To be fair though, so too does the KI team, it is just show in different way. MS’s character backstories are great/amazing, and in the fact that they wrote an entire novella for S3. That says a ton. Furthermore, there is SLs, and that mode too has a BUNCH of story elements in it, and IMO it has been pretty fun going through the mode, finding those story tidbits, and filling out the lore.

I am a lore junky in general, but I don’t want KI’s lore to be “like” MK’s, I just want KI’s lore to be as great as it can be…and to expand. And that is the rub.

Of the 8 characters in S3, only 3 have lore written about them: Kim Wu, Tusk, Mira (Gargos has dossiers in SLs, and I imagine Eyedol will as well, not sure how those stack up to the S2 backstories, or the S3 novella). Further still, the entire SL mode is pretty much a devotional to Gargos and his story, and “soon” Eyedol will have his own branch of story in the mode as well.

But then there are the 3 final characters in S3, the guest characters, who presumably WON’T have backstories, nor will they be tied into the SLs mode, or the greater lore at all. That is the point. Instead of expanding the lore with 3 characters that matter to the property, those prospective character slots were taken up by filler, who have nothing to do with the game proper at all. Sure they play well, and look nice, and will get more eyes on the game due to the legacy of those characters in other properties, but they do nothing for the mythos of KI, and do nothing to really enhance KI within the game itself.

Isn’t that the whole point of this discussion? An appeal to give the guest character a more “sufficient” tie into the story? We all already know that these guests aren’t canon. What I, and I think other may agree, advocate for is that the guest characters have a story that pertains to KI (even if it is non-canon) that is fun, and gives purpose for them being in the game. As of now they just stand apart from the KI cast in a kind of weird way due to them being here, but having no reason for being here.

-Something’s missing!!

-Something’s missing all right.

I didn’t say that. I said I don’t see the connection between the guest characters and the story.

I also havent had the time to read the novella.
And alot of the guest characters games I’ve never played. True playing gears of war bit Los interest long before I ever met general raam, but as a fighting character he is awsome. I am very familiar with Arbitor from his game. And never played the battle toads and just straight hate rash.

“somethings missing”

• Yep, a giant Gargos like Galactus in Marvel vs. Capcom 3. You can fight him after the last boss and he’s broken as hell. Add a special ending and It’s perfect. :+1:

Giant gargos? What!? Is this in the launch version or something?

I feel the same way as the op. The amount of reading to be done is boarder line intolerable. It feels very much like Oregon trail. Overall, the bits of character story are good but I’d skip much of dialog. Actually, i do find myself not even reading the prompts for trades or offers from ultratech. Things could be left out to speed the matches along.

Tldr: moar applicable cut scenes and less text walls, please.

1 Like

I don’t wanna put words in IG’s mouth, but that sounds like something that they’d like to do in the future (based on the last text stream), but where things stand right now, with their budget? Cut scenes are expensive. Text is not. Hopefully in the future they can add more stuff like that to SL, since they plan to augment the mode over time anyway, but right now that just makes sense to me.

Holy crap yes. Sadly I agree, it is like Oregon trail. Lol

1 Like

I’m optimistic for the future of the mode because I’m sure it will receive updates after its launch that can come up with anything to fill in the blanks on whatever feels missing in the mode as it stands now :smile:

Tusk has contracted typhoid fever.

Lol

-Riptor has died from dysentery.

Spinal came down with somethin and ulit was a doosey. Possibly the bacterium treponema palladium
Lol

Prof. T. Bird: “Come in Rash, do you copy? Princess Angelica has been kidnapped again, this time by some ancient being by the name of Gargos! He may be in kahoots with Volkmire and the Dark Queen, you must stop him!”

Rash: “Sounds Killer! I was gettin tired of being stuck fighting Rubber Ducks anyway. Take me to the battlefield, sir!”

Doesn’t even have to be canon, I just want “stories” for the guests in this game.

1 Like