So what's next for Raam?

It is not throw invincibility that makes a command grab untechable. It is a standard property of command grabs to be untechable. That is what sets them apart from throws, and makes the grappler archetype possible. The techable property applied to a command grab is the exception, not the rule - nor are command grabs always throw invincible. While this is often the case, there is room for exceptions.

Throw invincibility has nothing to do with teching throws. Please [don’t do that thing where you] try and rope people into debating your misunderstandings of staple mechanics and jargon.

First, I like your explanation better than Sith’s version - it explained exactly what I needed to know and I appreciate that. Secondly, however, you didn’t need to go all negative by calling my misunderstanding obtuse - it’s exactly that kind of attitude that will drive away people who legitimately don’t understand because of how unfriendly you come off as. Don’t do that! It’s that part that I certainly don’t appreciate… It was wholly unnecessary, and in that regard, @SithLordEDP’s version was better than yours.

If you were ever to become a medical doctor, I’m sure your bedside manner would be horrendous! …because that hurt. :head_bandage:

This coming from the guy whose first response was “sounds like you’re asking for buffs.” You can’t be rude and then preach “everyone needs to be positive” and then turn right around and be rude again

But this is getting off topic.

1 Like

That wasn’t being rude. It was a blank absolutely neutral statement stating the obvious! Besides, even if it was, why would anyone else want to stoop to that level? That’s just a lose-lose for everyone, since it means nobody’s taking the higher road or turning the other cheek. At that point, everyone’s just despicable and rotten. Why go there?

On a side note, I tag people as a courtesy. I should stop doing that as it often invites people to openly attack and belittle me.

I am sorry I hurt your feelings, @GalacticGeek.

It hurts me so much to know you prefer someone else over me. What ever shall I do?

My bedside manner is atrocious. I have little patience for your particular flavor of antics. I can never tell when you are being genuine in your misunderstanding, or are just looking to derail a thread for attention. I don’t address every poster with the same lack of patience I address you with. Further, if someone is deterred from knowledge because the provider wasn’t all sunshine, that’s really more their loss than mine. If I were a doctor…

@KagekaAkumu I’ll lab and transcribe some stuff tomorrow. I’m really not a fan of duplicate tech threads though. Yeah, threads get cluttered as they get longer (because OP’s rarely, if ever, update), but dividing a tech thread into A and B only makes tech that much harder to find, so I guess I’ll post in both, but I’d rather whomever authored the original(s) to just keep them updated… Soz for the off-topic.

1 Like

In regards to FG terms and mechanics, I personally think the whole thing is rather too bureaucratic for my tastes. There’s too much jargon that is, IMO, unnecessary.

For example, why use throw invincible? Why not just say can’t be thrown? It’s simple, to the point, easier to understand, and even uses fewer letters and syllables.

With that in mind, and to get back on topic, if you still can’t throw him during the move, even though it’s not throw invincible, does it really matter? I think it doesn’t since the result is still the same.

False. It can be daunting, as various “main game” communities use slight modulations of a core lexicon - sort of “per game dialects,” if you will - but that doesn’t make it at all unnecessary. There is no bureaucracy involved, there is correctly utilizing terms (like “combo,” or "OTG) and there is incorrectly utilizing terms. There is understanding, and there is misunderstanding. Nobody votes on what what means. The lexicon evolved (more or less) on it’s own over the last 20-odd years.

The important distinction between a throw and a [command] grab is that one can be tech’d and one must be jumped (with specific exceptions, thanks for that wrench in the gears, KI devs). No bureaucracy involved.

To your example, why say “upright bass” when one could just say “big cello”? Because that’s what people have been calling it for a very long time, and it makes more sense to use the lexicon of the community than swim against it and have nobody know what the hell you’re talking about.

Are you talking about his meterless command grab? It is not an option vs. meaty throw, cannot be used to blow up tick-throws, nor contest any grab, really. I guess if they tech in your plus frames and you mistime your grab it could also matter.

1 Like

No, I edit too slowly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Heh…I honestly wouldn’t worry about that on these forums… :sweat_smile:

On the other stuff, let’s just keep it civil everyone :slight_smile:

@GalacticGeek, like all language, FGC terms came into being semi-randomly, and there doesn’t really have to be much rhyme or reason for why one phrase “won out” over another. However, words do matter, and it’s important to be precise in terms, or else no meaningful conversations regarding strategies and game sense can occur. I was over on the KI FB group earlier this morning, and people were talking about how Rash is “unsafe” on all his pressure, including all his light special options. The problem is simply that this is not true - Rash is negative on all his pressure, but he is not unsafe. Unsafe means punishable; negative simply means it isn’t his turn anymore. The distinction is important, and is relevant to having a meaningful discussion regarding tactics either playing or fighting against the character. There is little meaning to arguing about why one thing isn’t called something slightly different - there’s much more value in simply learning the terms and being able to apply and understand them in the context of the game.

5 Likes

Well the general discussion thread was already linked to saying it has setups and it’s linda nmoying to dig through 350 some posts for a setup or two so :sweat_smile:

also isn’t great how hard the thread derailed? Then again i wouldn’t expect change fast since raam’s more or less stagnated

You will find this interesting

1 Like

Out of all of the explanations provided, this was my favorite part. I was just thinking about the WHOLE picture instead of isolating things down to what you guys consider important again…

1 Like

Not to jump on the bandwagon here, but “unsafe” means “can be punished by your opponent”. It does not mean “will be punished by all opponents”. Bad players will let punish opportunities slip them by, but it doesn’t change the properties of the move.

7 Likes

Just to summarize:
Negative: Can’t be punished, but your opponent has frame advantage, so if both of you press a button with equal frame data, he will win
Unsafe: Your move is very negative, so your opponent can punish it. How negative it was marks what punish can the opponent use. A -6 move would allow light punishes, while a -60 move could be punished with virtually anything.

Funny, this conversation comes in a Raam thread, the only character wich can punish some moves that are just negative for the rest of the characters(He can punish a -2 move with shadow dominance, something that nobody else can do)

3 Likes