So tea-bagging is (not) banned at KIWC apparently

This can’t be serious xD I cannot imagine how they’d even enforce this rule ^^’

“Ducking once is ok, twice in a row if you’re visibly buffering, but thrice gets you a loss”? O_o

9 Likes

Tea-bagging isn’t even very common in high level KI play anyway. I can only count on one hand the people who do it.

Honestly this comes out of nowhere. Not that I mind its removal, I never do it, but it’s still making me scratch my head.

2 Likes

I agree. It can be a form of bullying and should be banned.

5 Likes

Exactly.

I agree, I can’t tell you how many times it would look like I was teabagging the opponent because I was in the middle of a combo string at the end of a round and instead of firing off a special move or 2 you just see my character rapid fire crouching…it would be easy to misconstrue that as teabagging.

I could definitely see someone salty standing up in the middle of a match yelling " Teabagging!! Throw him out!!" in the middle of a match and then having to sort the whole mess out.

Sounds like a far worse headache than allowing teabagging.

2 Likes

Apparently it was a rule last year too, they just didn’t bother enforcing it. It’s more of a “try not to do it too much” suggestion than a hard “you’ll get banned” rule.

1 Like

Absolutely ludicrous rule that has no basis in reality.

1. It is unenforceable. If I choose to randomly crouch block a bunch during footsies because I am scared of Orchid doing slide, are you going to DQ me from the tournament? What if I am actually teabagging, but use this as a justification? You cannot decipher intent in all but the most extreme cases (ie, round over, walk up to body, mash down).

2. If a KI player wants to be disrespectful, they’ll do it other ways. They will do long double/triple ultras to piss you off. Ban those, then they will just do long meaningless instinct cancel combos instead. Ban those, and they’ll find another way.

3. It tries to ban an action when the person behind the threat is the problem. Ban the player who threatened violence, not the act which angered them, because it was no doubt one of many possible actions that would have caused anger. Remember, people who are easily angered would threaten to stab people at old arcades if they got thrown twice in a row in SF2. Throws were never banned from tournaments, but ■■■■ disturbers were.

4. It will make people want to find other ways to be disrespectful, or else challenge the rule outright and dare the TO to disrupt the tournament by banning. You have already seen this from numerous people on twitter, including ultradavid asking for there to be a “funniest douche moment award” at Frosty Faustings.

I don’t teabag/taunt people virtually ever, but this makes even me want to try and find ways to show some disrespect during matches. The fact that you try and constrain a person’s funny/slightly disrespectful behavior is going to open an entire floodgate of what should and shouldn’t be allowed, as people try to challenge authority that doesn’t make sense to them. And this is a battle you can never, ever win.

27 Likes

Ah, so it’s the KI pirate’s code, eh?

7 Likes

It creates hype, stories and rivalries for next events. It is entertainment at it’s best, it is what KI is kind of missing in it’s scene.

3 Likes

This… so much this.
I think it is hilarious that it has become bannable! XD

3 Likes

I hate teabagging as much as anyone, but there is no way in hell they are going to be able to enforce this rule. This is going to cause more problems than fixes…

lmao, if a friendly teabag drives players away video gaming is doomed.

Some kid gives me the business, it motivates me to bring it back and show him what I got. The fact that anyone actually gets offended by such a silly thing is astounding. lol

You know what was totally anticlimactic and boring because no one was a douchelord in it? Kombo Klash Japan.

Oh wait, never mind, it was riveting.

4 Likes

Only d-bags and a-holes teabags.
Trying to make themselves feel superiour and make the other feel sh!tty by being a toxic moron.

So yes, slam them out with the banhammer! And hit them hard!

4 Likes

^^Absolutely this!

Remember this match?

This was the most memorable match at last year’s KIWC for me, at least.

12 Likes

Man I never thought so many people felt this passionately about tea bagging. I mean how can they ban this ground breaking mechanic that just changes the game so much? It’s what really got me into the game in the first place is the way you could teabag so hard in this game.

4 Likes

After seeing @TheKeits promote this all morning on his twitter feed, I just can’t believe it is considered acceptable. I understand it happens and that it will most likely always exist, but having players conform to a standard of sportsmanship isn’t a bad thing.

For years, gamers of all kinds who participate in tournaments, fighters, Shooters, RTS, etc., have wanting to be accepted on the same level of professional sports coverage as you would see in sports such as Football, Baseball, Soccer, and the like. All these sports adhere to a level of conduct that includes accepting a level of professional respect and sportsmanship, and have penalties for violating them. In football, there are field penalties in place for excessive celebration, taunting players and officials, and several other offenses, ranging from mere field place penalties like a 15 yard setback, to being ejected, and in some rare instances, even being fined.

I’d say if gamers want video game tournaments to be taken seriously, and be offered the same level of coverage, fame, glory, and rewards that are offered to “conventional” sports, maybe the gaming community needs to adhere to the same guideline principles and conduct that is expected of those players.

In a way, I feel like the FGC (but not just limited to them) wants the perks of bigger league recognition, but doesn’t want to have to play to the ethical standard it entails. As such, it wants the bigger rewards and glory, but still have the right to be disrespectful and be a sore winner to anyone they want.

With that said, I do agree that it is a difficult rule to enforce, with there being no exactly quantifiable measure by which someone wants to be disrespectful to another player that couldn’t be challenged as hearsay or an imagined slight. With the exception of maybe an outright display of obvious rapid fire down presses and spamming of a taunt button, and some sideline trash talk that borders on verbal abuse, there’s not really a well defined line to measure the standard.

So pretty much all of @Infilament’s statement comes into play at this point, and like he said, actually encourages people to try and find the limit by which they can defy authority on the matter.

I think it creates more grudges, player divisions, and brings more unrest to the event than it creates anything positive. If you need proof of this, read the stories surrounding DSP and his “unsportsmanlike conduct”. Nothing positive ever came from that situation.

8 Likes

No lie I was cracking up reading some of v the forums and other media. Wow some of you are real characters​:joy::joy::joy:

Except DSP is a genuine ***hole though. Most people who tbag do it for harmless fun unless they’re salty and this coming from someone who finds it annoying and pointless.