So how do you feel about S3 and the balance changes on your mains so far?

So far Glacius feels a lot better, though my fingers aren’t the best at multi-hail.

I am playing Maya and TJ this new season. Only 40 matches under my belt with Maya and 0 with TJ (just practice mode for TJ).

Really enjoy Maya so far, I will use her to get out of Bronze rank (yeah I still suck in ranked) and then TJ for silver.

The main reason I chose TJ and Maya for season 3. I am intrigued by Kan Ra but it’s like a full-time job which I already have.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree any more I thought I might be the only one, being the top player with wins with Kan-Ra in ranked now to losing matches because my damage is so much more inferior to the rest of the cast is driving me crazy. Yes he is more honest but it is like I do four combos and it will maybe take away about 65% of my opponents life. When they do two combos and take my whole life bar away it is pretty annoying. I honestly give up using Kan-Ra it feels like I am playing SF with these time outs making super calculated moves all for a measly 20% to 25% combo it is too tedious for me. High risk low reward character now which ultimately makes it so hard to use him yes that makes him fair but it hurts the character in the long run that is just my opinion though.

2 Likes

Maya does feel a lot slower, but her juggle potential is amazing this season. My one critique I have with her (and I’m not sure if this is a bug of not) is that her leap kick doesn’t seem to work on female characters in attempting a juggle AFTER an ender. It works on males sure enough, but leap kick on female characters after an ender ALWAYS wiffs. Leapkick’s responsiveness has also gone down considerably as the input doesn’t always come out after an ender. This also applies to shadow leap kick. I’m mainly referring to practice mode as I seem to land them a little more reliably in ranked.

I dont like the changes the made in this season. ARIA is weird now and others are complaining about thier main. I dont know why the game is much slower and kim wu is as floaty as mewtwo

wasnt talking about jumping lp

You said

1 Like

I should have worded better but i didnt mean jumping lp sorry…

I kinda knew you must have meant his overhead. I was gona say though, a LP that causes recapture? Damn how could I have missed that one.

1 Like

Agreed. It’s infuriating for me playing against lower skilled players that clearly lack fundamentals, but they coast on through and make the match closer than it should be, because I have to open them up for their mistakes and punish them double to triple the amount of times as opposed to them punishing me for the same amount due to one single mistake. So I have to work extra hard, make better reads, and play a better neutral all to make ends meet basically, While they can yolo some unsafe stuff and then play the whole “mind game break a strength wombo combo”.

For me it’s not even about winning, thats doable, with Kan Ra, it’s the fact that it is pointless to put yourself through all of that extra work when you can just pick an easy mode character and achieve the same or better results with half or less the amount of work.

This isn’t an anime game, in those you can’t break combos without burning some intense resources. At the touch of a button you can break anything in KI, It’s obvious the gimmick characters will be causing timeouts left and right.

You know I was going to try Rash but then I tried Kim Wu first. Although I don’t like her face and basic costumes, a lot of her colors, accessories fix the issue. I like her style of play but man is she so limited in what she could do. I find no use in her target combos. Only her low medium kick can be converted into a combo with her axe kick and over all she is like Spinal S1.

Really hard for her to get going with out her dragons. The problem is unlike Spinal her enders are stingy with rewarding Dragons. Not only that but her dragon ender pushes opponents away and Kim is severly at a disadvantage from medium to far away. She has nothing to close the gap. If you do a dragon Kick you are severly open to attack so you can’t use that to get in close. Characters like Fullgore, Shago, Glacius or Riptor can easily out maneuver her and stop any momentum. Sure she can deflect but you have to endure the entire animation which is about the same speed of one of them teleporting/running behind you. It feels as hopeless as GutterMagic facing Rico at Evo. The run away game is too strong. They can just keep their distance and come in and go as much as they want. It doesn’t feel like am controlling the pace of the match, it feels like am trying to not let them control the match most of the time. If they run away they control the match.

It doesn’t help that the only real way to do real damdge is by using those Dragon kicks and that’s pretty much one of the main aspects of that character. Big Burst Damage. So you are either prioritizing damdge or trying to get dragons and I’ve found that doing a level 3 ender only grants you one dragon so in reality it’s not even worth it. Just wait for the instinct or parry and risk getting punished.

Another thing about Kim Wuu is that her cross up can be grabbed out off. I’ve had several times I’ve tried crossing someone up but they literally grab me as I fall down doing the attack. Why? Her dragons become useless if she can’t cross up. No cross ups, really small range low kicks, and only her medium low kick combos into axe kick overhead. It’s like all of these things work against you and it’s the basis for how to open people up with Kim Wu.

All this said, I like her gameplay but man is she a resource heavy character and it’s frustrating seeing other characters easily get in and be able to get into a combo. It kind of feels like putting a SF character into this game where you have to focus more on defense and footsire so that you can do anything.

Gotta play that neutral.

I never understood why a jump is used as a kind of balancing tool. Doesn’t fit her other fast moves.

Exactly. In the end it should be fun to play a character. I still like playing Kan Ra but too much effort is required to ‘just’ stay alive.

You guys should play Kim Wu if you want real work. She is fun but also frustrating at the same time.

If you’re getting grabbed while attempting a cross up, it means you started it too low to the ground and wound up getting trip guarded. All moves have start-up, and if you start an air attack too close to the ground, you can get the animation or visual cue for the attack, but just not have the hitbox touch the opponent before you land (thereby eliminating the attack). This can happen with any character. It seems pretty easy to do with Kim’s jump+MP though - it’s got a very horizontal hitbox, so if you want it to hit a smaller character you kind of have to start it pretty low to the ground. Unless you’re doing an extreme range cross-up, I recommend using HP to cross up, as it’s pretty active and you can start it high enough up that getting thrown or hit upon landing shouldn’t be an issue.

But yes, Kim is relatively honest, and winning with her can be tough against someone who’s patient and knows not to stick things out for you to whiff punish. She has no credible low threat from anywhere except up close, and her overhead takes a while to become active and is pretty reactable. On the plus side, she does absolutely stupid damage once she gets in, and once she’s stocked on dragons she’s got some truly dirty mixups and shenanigans she can pull even within combo.

i love it … what i love the most in the bew combo breaker changes… feels so good .

So, I thought I’d give ranked leagues another go after consistently being put back down to zero in gold tier, since it’s well, a new day. I figured, maybe I’d be more relaxed and do better as a result.

…oh how wrong I was.

It started out innocently enough. I was paired with a few new players, who I handedly beat. I then started to actually think that maybe things were different. I even got up to over 100 points! And then, the pros had their power breakfasts and got online.

My Aganos is getting creamed by the likes of Arbiter players and their super fast carbine shots that I can’t react to, Riptors and their ability to run across the entire screen in the blink of an eye, and more…

What I find most frustrating are situations where I’ve become accustomed to chunking up that no longer work despite chunking now being faster. For example, whenever I throw out a peacemaker to stagger or push back the enemy, I can’t chunk up on hit like I used to (where they would get pushed back on hit OR block), although it still works fine on block, since they still get pushed back (ironically enough). Isn’t it odd that an attack might actually be more beneficial (IMO) on block?

On hit, the thrown peacemaker staggers the opponent, which is good, but unless I have a long-ranged attack ready to go, like a shadow natural disaster, then there’s not much I can do - my options are limited (or even get combo-broken, like if I try to follow up with a ruin or shadow ruin, which I’m fairly certain would count as an opener-ender combo). If I try to chunk up on hit, my opponent recovers faster than I do and can either hit me with a fast-moving projectile, as with Arbiter (and removing my chunk in the process); perform a running mixup, as with Riptor (and grab, or hit with a multi-hitting flame, thereby ignoring my chunk armor or removing it, respectively); or even by teleporting, as with numerous other characters.

I suppose I could wait to see if I hit or if the attack gets blocked, but if I do that, the timing window to actually do what I’ve decided is so small, that it might as well be impossible. Let’s assume that I hit the opponent - that gives me only a few FRAMES to cancel into an appropriate attack before the recovery of the thrown peacemaker kicks in and I can’t do it anymore. If I don’t make the cancel window, then the opponent recovers from the stagger and can counter - and this is all assuming I don’t misread what’s happening and they block instead (which would be really, really bad if I attempt a follow-up attack in that case, as they would be able to full-combo punish).

The solution here is simple, I think - either a) make the stagger last longer on hit - just long enough to chunk up normally. This way, Aganos can either attack OR chunk up. Or b) put it back to what it was - they get stunned on hit or block, allowing time for re-chunking.

Aganos pre-S3 relied on his hard-knockdowns and similar situations. Now that they’ve taken a lot of that away, he can’t rely on them anymore, forcing me, as an Aganos player to do worse. His sitations where he could chunk up before were already pretty limited, and although he’s faster now than he’s ever been, I don’t think it’s fast enough to make up for what he’s lost in turn.

1 Like

I’m enjoying the new season. I’ll miss some little things about S2 (e.g. I wanted Jago’s DP xx shadow DP to work on hit), and there’s stuff I want that didn’t happen (I still want Riptor’s linkers to be looked at again by the devs), but mostly everything looks and plays great and, most significantly (and almost unexpectedly), there’s a lot of new territory to explore in the lab wrt offensive strategies and combos.

I might go into details about what I’m digging into when I’m less tired.