Shadow Orchid or Black Orchid? (Poll Closed.)

Dang, is this going to be what we call Omen now? Man, I should have trademarked that when I thought of it.

Itā€™s funny how no one simply calls her that. Iā€™m still holding this poll up.

I honestly love both of those names. I thought of a few myself and posted them, so naturally I canā€™t find that post now lol. Iā€™d say those are the two best options regardless though. :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s the thing about this though. I believe that youā€™re not suggesting this due to race. Iā€™m 100% convinced of this and I fully take you at your word. Not even a question.

However, and Iā€™d hope that youā€™ll consider this, not from an ā€œoh those SJWs are offended by everythingā€ stance, but purely on the optics; the objective facts of American history and cultureā€¦

If you put a light skinned blank woman in a game and then have a ā€œshadowā€ version of that character and you call that version ā€œBlack Orchid?ā€ Intentions might be as pure as undriven snow, but they still might just go right out the window, especially if the ā€œBlackā€ version. If MS / IG gets any flak for it, they canā€™t just say ā€œthis is not even about skin color, so donā€™t even suggest it.ā€ They donā€™t have that luxury, as people would still suggest it. I Would be shocked if something like this didnā€™t get some less than desirable attention.

Again, I totally get where youā€™re coming from, OP. I just worry that others wouldnā€™t and for the theoretical blow up potential this idea could potentially have.

2 Likes

Tread carefully, my friend. You donā€™t want to be the 1 to open Pandoraā€™s box when nobody else has yet done so. :wink:

Yes, very funny that even though you may not have to have known it before 2013, youā€™ve never taken the time to read her bio thatā€™s been up for many monthsā€¦

ā€¦sheā€™s ALWAYS been Black Orchid. smh

2 Likes

lol, sorry! :slight_smile: Not trying to start an argument or bring any ill will in to this thread (or the OP) AT ALL. Iā€™m just trying to look at it from a practical perspective. Iā€™m trying to picture IGN or some other game journalists covering ā€œBlack Orchid, the new, evil, shadow version of Orchidā€ and to me, that just sounds like PR quick sand.

Maybe Iā€™m wrong. I could certainly be wrong. But saying ā€œitā€™s not about raceā€ wonā€™t suddenly make the rest of the internet say ā€œoh, they said itā€™s not about race so it must not be about race. Carry on, nothing to see here.ā€

Again, I could absolutely be wrong and Iā€™m not trying to start a debate about that, really. Iā€™ll stop derailing the thread with this. I only brought it up in the first place because I donā€™t want people looking at KI and seeing something negative when this game has been really good about the way it treats women and minorities and I want so see that to continue.

Very true.

Perhaps Iā€™ll just close this poll due to some hard facts. Oh well.

1 Like