Shadow Lords Mode

Ever seen/played games like Spelunky, Rouge Legacy, or The Binding of Issac? Those are Rougelikes.

Basically, in rougelikes, you play through a set of levels but you only have 1 life. If you die, you have to start from the very beginning.

2 Likes

Just a small correction. “Rogue” otherwise you’re talking about the color.

If we’re required to fight computer-controlled opponents in this mode and Shadows isn’t used for the AI, then I’m steering clear.

1 Like

I can’t say I have but the concept intrigues me!

I just heard Total Biscuit complain about how devs keep misdefining what “Roge-like” means as a genre. I bet he’ll have a fieldtrip with this one. XD

Can’t wait to see what it is.

So the new use for KI gold in S3 is buying crafting supplies?

Seeing the globe with the different missions and threat levels reminds me of XCOM.

4 Likes

Seems so, thats disappointing as hell, no real uses for players that like to do things the right way.

1 Like

Can I use Gargos in this mode?

1 Like

I’m gonna have to ask what everyone else is asking: is this Season 3’s “story mode” of sorts? Will it have any sort of ongoing plot as you play, or is it just “throw your KI team at Gargos’ minions”?

I hope its not the season 3 arcade, I really hope they have both arcade and this.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m pretty excited about the possibility of this mode, but definitely the Shadows AI needs to be used for the fights. The normal AI just simply isn’t representative at all of how fighting games work, and they have this fantastic new approach to fighting game AI that I’m sure they’ve been itching to show off (and I’ve been really waiting for them to fully embrace). They have “Shadow” in the title so I’m really hoping they’re doing that. Can you imagine pulling a random shadow from online? Or maybe taking 5 random shadow AIs and randomly mixing them together to create an amalgam shadow to fight? Or creating a procedural shadow AI from scratch (I dunno how easily the system can support this) that’s different every time? Some combination of the above?

@TempusChaoti can you say anything about whether shadow AI is being used here?

8 Likes

It’s also worth noting that the enemies in the battle descriptions are listed as “mimics”… and what do Shadows do? Mimic your character and playstyle as closely as possible. I find it far more likely that they’ll end up using Shadows rather than go to the time to create some random new types of demons that might only crop up in this one mode (though that would be neat in its own way). As long as the introduction of these AIs doesn’t push the single-player mode into something too competitive, I’m all for it!

1 Like

Alright…ARIA’s gona solo everyone and everything.

2 Likes

4 - How do the guest characters factor into this?

5 Likes