Shadow Lords Impressions Thread

Something that irritates me among consumables. Is the worm artifact vs the finger in a jar. The finger in a jar causes an increases in corruption world wide so you can fight gargos sooner. That’s all well and good, but the shadow worm reduces corruption only in the part of the world where whoever has it is working. Uhh I work all over the map. Having no clear direction which mission is a story mission, character specific, emergency, etc… I am not really paying attention to who fought where vs where the corruption levels are critical. Why can’t the shadow worm just reduce corruption world wide, and serve as the polar opposite to the finger in a jar?

1 Like

(Impression of review or tutorial.,
I went into this game enthusiastically and excited but I think it’s just awful!

1. Mimic character model shaded green, that’s lame.
  2. the cutscenes aren’t entertaining and need a way to be skipped.
  3. having people train is a bad idea, send them to the dojo if they can’t play. Also using Gargos as a training character? Ah yes, my first sneak peak at the end boss and he just stands their and takes it!
  4. creating items feels forced. Just award the item if you think you need them.
  5. The first real fight is Jago vs Jago. It feels like I’m playing my little brother at the arcade.
  6. why focus on Jago? Since when does KI have a back story and what terrible writer did you get to come up with it?
  7. why does my selected fighter not meet the criteria for the fight?

Why even bother with this? The cutscenes often don’t move and when they do I feel like I’m playing a Nintendo 64 game. Its not original as I feel like it’s a cheap mortal kombat spoof and I’ve always put killer instinct above that. You’re better than this. I’ve found no playability issues but how could their be? It’s the same game as before but with 3 new features, some cut scenes and Gargos.

1. Your opinion.
  2. They are skippable and it being boring is your opinion.
  3. Ok then. Send them to the dojo? Ok. Once you enter Shadow Lords,it sends you to the dojo and you have to all 32 lessons before you can continue. Great work. Also it was the first form of Gargos. That form isn’t that great.
  4. How does creating items feel forced? You don’t have to craft any.
  5. What?
  6. It doesn’t focus on Jago…
  7. Because some story missions require a certain character(s) or it wouldn’t make sense.
    They bothered because they wanted to make a unique single player expierience. Name a single N64 game that is like this. KI was always a spoof of other fighting games.
1 Like

I think this mode is fun and “fresh” to play…

1 Like

Did you get butthurt I was giving my first impression. I’ll be giving more feedback. This isn’t a debate forum. Have fun with the preview!

Butthurt? What? I’ll wait for the feedback lol.

The thing I love most about this mode is that I have yet to even spend a single coin of KI gold, getting astral gems is really easy.

1 Like

So I just beat Shadow Lords on Normal after getting rekkted on Challenging difficulty. Normal is definitely the way to go initially if you’re a casual player, but for the more skilled should start with Challenging. This game mode is definitely a good use for all that KI Gold people may have bought over the years as it will allow them to even the odds against the harder 3-character gauntlets like triple Arias/Fulgores, or Mimic Thunder, Hisako, Omen teams. It definitely adds RPG-elements to KI and I think it would be a great mode if it had launched with Season One. As I see it, its a good start for a potentially bigger version in a Season 4 or a KI4.

Here’s my pros: The game has microtransactions which allows you to cut corners with KIGold to get the better artifacts for your characters, but just playing the game will allow you to avoid paying money. Its a great compromise that many games already do and I’m glad KI gives you the option. The story itself seems pretty good, and if you can avoid corruption long enough, it extends the story greatly, allowing you to acquire more dossiers, artifacts, and materials to level up your characters. Its quite challenging for even the best KI players as the Omens are quite difficult with their status buffs. The game seems to vary a lot on each playthrough so its never quite the same which allows for replayability. Requiring a complete playthrough including beating Gargos to unlock the Astral Plane stage is a good way to get people to play it at least once. I love deploying Characters to a fight to win without having to play as I lost to Shadow Jago (my greatest nemesis) on Challenging difficulty. He game over-ed me and I could’ve easily won had I just deployed Kim Wu. Going to the barracks and applying the right artifacts to your characters greatly increase your odds throughout each fight and I can’t wait to see how the daily rewards will add to your assortment of materials and artifacts. There’s a ton of information to unlock, but the only problem is the random encounters may make it difficult to collect all the dossiers.

Cons: While Shadow Lords is quite in depth on the surface, I feel it probably would’ve been better to include a Season 2-like story mode or a typical Arcade Mode than Shadow Lords. Not every studio has the budget for a full story mode like MK9/X/SFV, but I feel KI would’ve been better served with that and the information included in the KI Novella (which I haven’t read yet, but I will). A typical Arcade mode (and no Survival doesn’t count) is just a faster way to beat the game sometimes and that’s what I would’ve preferred. When playing SF4, I often went through arcade mode just to play for five minutes, beat the boss, and watch the cutscene ending. And really, who wouldn’t like a ladder with the flaming background where Spinal, Fulgore, Aria, Eyedol, and Gargos sit at the top with a hidden Shadow Jago fight from KI S1 (if that’s still in the game)? Shadow Lords doesn’t allow for a quick in and out because the RPG elements make it a bit more involved. Speaking of that, its going to take a lot of playthroughs for people without KIGold to amass good artifacts that’ll help them through the more challenging difficulties. Anytime a game allows people to pay to shortcut the more difficult aspects of a game is good, but it also costs more money. For long time players that paid for the Ultra/combo seasons, that might be off-putting, but for the newcomers purchasing the Definitive Edition it may be welcome. I wish there was more content to be unlocked through Shadow Lords rather than just the Astral Plane stage and dossiers, like more stages, ultimates, or costumes, but that’s just wishful thinking. All in all, I think this mode would’ve been a lot better if it launched with Season1 than at the end of KI3’s life, if this is the end.

Sorry for my long post, I write novels in my spare time which explains my elaborate explanation. But I give the mode a first-impressions score of 7/10.

1 Like

Personally, there needs to be a suprise of some sort. Survive 30 days and once you defeated Gargos,insert cutscene where Eyedol manages to wake up because of the extended period that Gargos was alive.

3 Likes

Great idea. Let’s hope the developers consider it. It would be great to see Eyedol as a competitor.

To be honest I wouldn’t mind an Easy mode. Normal is quite easy at the beginning but it gets really hard after a while. Orange and red missions show up all over the place and I admit I’m not very good at this game, and I struggle with those. I could hardly beat my first Omen and I don’t see any chance of beating Gargos. Yeah, I’m maybe bad at the game but whatever. If Story mode and other modes support Easy difficulty settings then I think Shadow Lords should too. Fewer rewards, obviously, but a difficulty so that any players can just play the game and enjoy the mode. At first I thought Normal would be easy but it’s really not. Omen combo-ed the hell out of me so that I could barely move. So I feel there should be some balancing to be done there.

So far enjoying the mode. I just the code and just started playing yesterday. I agree with a lot of the feedback given so far and will just add that I’ve experienced some slowdown in my first few matches.

I would also move the purchase of KI gold to the far end of the tabs instead of the second tab as you are less likely to be buying KI gold frequently and maybe move crafting to the 1st or 2nd tab.

Grouping item that requires the same material for crafting would also be beneficial so you could easier decide what you want to prioritize crafting. I’ve crafted items using material only to realize later that the another item I would’ve crafted was at the end of the row.

I’ve only used Jago, Kim and Riptor and have to say I enjoy the funny if campy dialogue. I wished it was voiced though.

1 Like

Has anyone been able to revive their team members after fighting Gargos the first time with the team o F three? I intentionally made sure I bought revival/ health packs before my 3rd run thru, but then when I was beat by Gargos as Tusk, Kan Ra, & then Spinal, it went straight to the ‘maybe another time’ screen.

I could have sworn I saw ‘back to hub’ so I could heal my team members-

or is that blocked in preview mode?

It happened to me too, but the changes ONLY happens once you see the Game Over message so, sorry but you cannot do that.

I think there are too many screens and loading between matches. It’s a bit confusing even before and after a fight, I always press A to continue but never really know what kind of screen comes up next. For example, after the rewards screen there’s some loading, but then there’s still one line of dialogue with the “VS” screen which is confusing. Also, I think loading a match could be started even during the dialogue screen, so we wouldn’t have to wait that long. There’s also too many screens and loading between fights if there is more than one opponent. You beat one mimic, then you get a screen (quite slow) and then the next comes up, loading etc. Somehow the game flow should be simplified or streamlined in my opinion. There are too many button presses before a fight can finally happen and before we can get back to the main menu screen.

Wouldn’t you wanna know what buffs a mimic has each time plus a little extra dialogue?

I would but with a simplified and more straightforward system. Right now it’s too fragmented.

I see.

I’d like to enjoy it - but I have no idea where it is.
I’ve re-installed the game as well!!

frustrating

Are you talking about Shadow Lords mode? If so, its in beta, you had to request a code to get it, official launch is september 20th.