Shadow Lords Impressions Thread

3 x I came across a quest and my only available character “could not follow that quest”, so i backed out and then the quest was gone I couldnt get back to it. I dont think Ive done a true “quest”

I really like some of these suggestions, because they are trying to get at the core issue of how to add variety to SL without demanding a lot of new asset creation.

At its core, SL is menu driven resource management combined with playing KI against the CPU. At its base level that sounds terrible. The reason it’s not is because of the interesting details of the story, character interactions, mission descriptions and other stuff that lets you suspend your disbelief that all you are doing is playing KI vs AI opponents. It’s easy to say “build new character models for the fighters,” but that’s super resource intensive. But all the characters have a suite of existing accessories and retros that could be used to tie into story missions. I know time travel is not looked on kindly, but I don’t see why some of the missions couldn’t describe heading into an alternate dimension or being mesmerized by Gargos’s shadow power into reliving past events. The key is we all know we are fighting the same cast - but if you say “This retro Kim Wu in armor is Kim’s ancestor” then it adds some variety to the experience at least in the players imagination.

Likewise I agree that making the mission rewards and penalties match up with the actual mission will rally help make the decisions more strategic. If I can go train Jago and this gives him some benefit but doesn’t reduce or prevent corruption, or I can go prevent corruption somewhere it gives the choices a bit more logical meaning. Rather than just asking you to kind of spread out across the continents. Likewise the idea of using other character models that aren’t mimics. I like the Sabrewulf as generic werewolf idea. If you wanted to get really fancy you could even remove some of the characters moves, assuming the AI could handle it. Similarly you could have omen take over a Fulgore factory and turn the robots against ultra tech. Or dig up an old Fulgore unit using one of the retro models.

I think this variety, even though it’s sort of fake variety, will really help replay ability. At its core the mode is basically go fight, collect widgets, fight some more and try to beat Gargos. The fun is kind of the suspended disbelief that you are doing something repetitive because you get to read interesting dialogue snippets of see interesting characters. It doesn’t have to be crazy new stages or whole new skins. Just use Kan Ra’s Egypt accessories and say “Gargos’s shadow power has awakened an Egyptian mummy.” Yeah, we all know it’s Kan Ra in a suit but it just makes it less monotonous.

5 Likes

Exactly this.

Undead werewolfs, a ultratech enslaved ghost/Hisako, an ice ent, an egyptian mummy, a gargoyle, a two headed cyclops, Kim wu ancestor… many non main characters can be done only with retros and/or accesories.

More variety than just mimics, but still the same characters to use. Zero new resources,but full of new characters

1 Like

I get it. Riptor’s achievement quest is a pain. I have been trying to start it for a week now. One part of the quest you need to do 5 times. I have not gotten it to show up once, and I have had Riptor in my group every time.

1 Like

You and bigbadandy have good examples of what I would like to see aswell, I hope the devs see this…

2 Likes

@Dayv0 @BigBadAndy
I know they used one one Maya’s retro sets for a certain quest, and Spinal is used for a few different quests, so there’s definitely stuff in the same vein of what you guys are suggesting. :smiley:

2 Likes

But…but…we need more, we aaaaalways need more KI goodness :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It good but there is a bit of a lag getting in to the fights.

I’m impressed so far. Definitely different but the story and cutscenes are solid so far. Already a better offering than the street fighters story mode. I’m relieved about that. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

If I may suggest a different way of wording the intro?
_"Our dimension is not alone. There exists many alien worlds of unimaginable power, divided by unknown barriers. _

The Astral Plane, a nexus to these worlds, now ruled by the malevolent tyrant known as Gargos.

Eons ago, ruling Astral beings resisted the encroaching Shadowlord. But Gargos’ mastery of chaos proved too strong and the other demigods were slain, their power made one with his.

Guardians, noble beings that defied the evils of the Astral Plane, fled the wrath of the Shadowlord and his minions, escaping to other dimensions…

… Sealing every portal behind them, so that the corrupting shadow of Gargos could not cast upon another world again.

_ However, Gargos’ mind proved too strong for the Guardians’ efforts. The sorcerer Kan-Ra’s thirst for power was a beacon and tether, and so was manipulated into opening the portals that contained the Chaos._

Now Gargos is invading the Earth with his army of perverted mimic fighters, the Defiled.

This twisted demigod must be stopped, or he will enslave the universe… Forever."

i can agree with the wording, the current wording seems abit dull, but otherwise i like the idea of this mode

1 Like

So far so good but i have some pretty small problems…
Well i love this mode first of all and the crafting system is interesting.
How friggin ever i have some small problems with it, as i said earlier, these are mostly just nitpicks and things that may be added, i have to unlock or may change in release, i have only had 2 playthrouhghs so please don’t destroy me if i say something wrong.

1: The pre battle dialogue could become a bit deeper. Even though that doesn’t matter so much in normal battles, the fight with Gargos could have more character in it with more lines.
2: The dificulty is pretty much a walk in the street, first time with Gargos i had killed all Omens so he got decimated.
3: This is something i may have to unlock, so i may be saying some stuff that doesn’t make sense, but Eyedol is my main and i REALLY wanna see him wreck Gargos’ face in.

That’s pretty much it, aside from those things i mentioned this game mode is flawless.

This is a really addictive mode I love it. It was a little glitchy but that stopped I wonder what the future has for Shadow Lords.

How do you get to play the other characters in Shadow Lords?

I haven’t gone very deep into the stalker mission, but I’ve heard alot of reports including the one linked above. I find it odd that in a mission like the stalkers you have ample opportunity for cinematics that no one cashed in on.

My feedback is pretty shallow, but I love the VS screen renders from Shadow Lords. Wish we could select them in other modes. Even if they’re static, the poses are cool and they’re definitely an improvement over the often oddly-scaled caught-when-blinking models we got right now.

1 Like

Definitely agree on having the versus screens in other modes too…

2 Likes

I really like this mode. Reminds me of the first Soul Calibur game which had something similar. It’s basically an RPG mode in KI. Thee are things to polish, of course, but I really like the concept.

With one completed first run of Jago and Kim Wu

After my third play I was ‘crafty’ and tried recipes that were uniQue and interesting

It really is a mode where you want to manage and check inventories etc

A great solo mode!

I’ve hardly played spinal tusk and kan ra but shadow lords encouraged me to give the team a whirl

Only thing is I didnt receive my double points

I’m enjoying it, but I do agree about some of the screens slowing up the action. It’s been about a week since I played because my Wulf got Kia and well, life got in the way, so I may not quite be remembering this correctly, but I think I remembered that if I forgot to feed my guardians I had to go back to the guardian screen, and then navigate the war room and re-select my fighter and modifiers again. That annoyed me a little.

Also, I’m missing something. What’s with the “end your turn” option? It seemed like even when I didn’t end my turn, gargos and his forces moved closer to invading earth anyway. Probably my fault in missing the point.

I’ll probably dive back into it again today. Does Raam become playable at some point? Would love to see why he’s in the ki universe…

Anyway, other than those minor gripes, I’m. Having fun with it.