Shadow Lords Impressions Thread

ahhh now that makes sense
thank you

1 Like

So i am trough with my first run and overall i like what you did there guys!

I did not see any bug or something so it did run well. I also liked the little Storylines in there and the decisions ar good too.

Some thing that i whould like to see:

1. Better feedback when activating an item, it is kinda hard to se if it is on or not, especially whe there is a lot going on, on the screen.

2. The whole experience could be more fleshed out! For example the Questlines could at least have some cool drawn pictures, also the dossiers about items could show the Item it is about in a picture. Same for the Character section. Yes it is all nice but really boring!
    Yes i know, it costs time, mony and manpower, but i think it could be worth it!

3. Kinda goes in the above category but it whould be nice if the Mimics could get some different intros and voice acting like grunting or something that whould not be to expensive to make but something that makes them mor different from the originals, yeah i know a mimic is supposed to copy the original as good as possible.

4. I really whould like to see some SL Specific stages, like the warehouse that is raided often or something cool in africa!

5. It whould be nice if you guys could somehow improve the loading times, it takes all way to long! I donā€™t know if there is something you can do about it because of the engine and stuff but that whould be my biggest letdown so far with Shadow Lords beside itā€™s free to play Character but i think that was not avoidable at all.

So that are my first impressions and some wishes and i know some of them are more like Dreams than somthing that could be realised due to Budget an things, but as a Gamer who likes Singleplayer Modes and local Coop more than Online Multiplayer i think you did a great Job so far!
Cant wait to see what you are going to add in the future.

A little thing. When you beat Gargos and unlock Astral Plane stage, when you use it in versus cpu mode, the default theme is Omen/shadow jago theme, as shadow tiger lair. Could you fix it for the astral planeā€™s default theme were Gargos theme? Thanks

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to post this on bugs thread as well but I found out that if you go and do a match and choose whatever theme you want, it will carry on to SL. I found it out when I had omens theme playing on glacius stage. So for those who want to listen to eyedols, Miras, or raams theme in shadow lords here you go.

On my phone, so Iā€™ll keep this quick and expand later.

-First off, love it. This is one of the most fun campaign modes Iā€™ve ever played across any game, and definitely the best of any fighting game. I get that itā€™s cheesy at points, but the overall feel is so engaging and detailed that it offsets the weak points for me.

-I, too, was a little disappointed at first that it didnā€™t use Shadows. But after reading the power level explanation, it actually is better this way. The best Shadow in the lab, a Jago I think, is still super easy to beat. So having levels I-II be jokes and levels III-V progressively do more computer opponent things works great in my opinion.

-Only have done three playthroughs on the mid difficulty (but did beat Gargos on my third) so I donā€™t have a wealth of time on it yet, but I havenā€™t noticed any substantial bugs or glitches. The load screens feel a little long at points, but nothing game breaking. Maybe some back-end smoothing could be implemented for the transitions between mission/hub selection screens but it all seems very polished and fun.

As I said, this is a short post and Iā€™ve only played for a day. But thus far, I love it and can see myself sinking a lot of time, definitely more than any other fighterā€™s ā€œsingle player modeā€. Only things Iā€™d like to see later/at full release are some additional polishes and fleshing out of character interactions, such as a cute little tie in for the guest being available, more character rivalries (I think only seven of the twenty-six have characters they canā€™t work with until side quests are completed) and continued support to see additional questlines and character specific interactions/nuances added in to continue keeping the mode feeling fresh and interesting. Obviously, I donā€™t know how difficult that would be. But the mode seems very modular, so I hope itā€™s possible and economic to continue supporting and inserting unique interactions and questlines for a few months.

TL;DR: Itā€™s my first day and I lurve it.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to add a request for the timer to not start until the 1st hit for tank chests.
Iā€™ve missed them twice now looking away at something else only to look back and see the timer expired.

This would be consistent with the regular chest that donā€™t open until they are struck.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been playing for two days now and I do think the intro/tutorial is completely unnecessary and awful. However, this game is amazing afterwards. Yes, itā€™s just a bunch of the same characters from the game with a hue change and that irritates me but itā€™s a lot of fun! I find myself fighting just to collect things.

I would like to see more randomized outcomes to certain things and it would be nice if you could wager on each match.

I do come to times where Iā€™ve used one character and my other two characters are unqualified for a non specified reason and I need to skip which kind of sucks.

I think Gargos is a little weak but thatā€™s fine.

Thatā€™s all Iā€™ve reply to say at the time being. Iā€™ll update again tomorrow!

I got the code a little bit ago and have played it a bunchā€¦ I love it! So first off I just want to say thank you to the devs for granting me and so many others early access. :blush: It has been really exciting to get one of the first looks at the new mode, and I hope you guys have gotten some useful feedback. There are a lot of suggestions in this thread and I agree with a lot of themā€¦ so I might be parroting some ideas here, but I wanted to contribute as well.

1. Loading times seem a little bit long, especially all of the screens before fights. Lots of people have brought it up and it seems like itā€™s going to be a bit smoother in the actual release so Iā€™ll cut this one short.

2. Unlocking Dossiersā€¦ currently this is a little too RNG-based for my tastes. You have to defeat Mimics to unlock character dossiers and thereā€™s no guarantee of which are going to show up in a playthroughā€¦ and it seems like thereā€™s no set number you have to beat before a Dossier unlocks (Iā€™ve fought three mimic Glaciuses and havenā€™t unlocked one for him yet). I think it might be a little bit more rewarding if, instead of having to beat Mimics, you gradually unlocked the Dossiers for a character as you successfully completed missions for them.
I understand the fear here is that it might make unlocking them too easy and thus cut down on replayability through unlocksā€¦ so maybe bump up the number of required missions for an unlock and display a progress bar under each Dossier? This way people know where theyā€™re at, and they can feel like theyā€™re making meaningful progress each time they play, even if it takes awhile.
Of course it might be too late into the development at this point to implement these particular changes, but these are my thoughts!

3. A subset of my thoughts on the Dossiers is just that I want to see more. Currently what Iā€™ve read of the Dossiers seems to mostly lay out the backstories that have been posted here to the character pages on the sites. Which is great! Itā€™s a great way to incorporate lore into the game for people that might not visit these forums, and a great way to refresh my own knowledge. I feel like there is just so much possibility within the universe that KI exists inā€¦ itā€™s a very rich setting, and hopefully adding new pages of text wouldnā€™t take too many resources.
For example, I would love to eventually see updated Dossiers that explain more about Glaciusā€™ species and culture. In his dialogue he frequently cites the 88 Decrees, calls himself ā€œThe Servant of Scienceā€, and references the Ice Rings of Sokol with great deference. What Decrees is he citing when he goes to fight a Mimic (The Second Decree) versus when he goes to fight Garogs (The Final Decree)? What does it mean to be a Servant of Scienceā€“is he stating that his people are more pragmatic and donā€™t put much stock in higher powers? How is this balanced against his metaphysical capabilities? Are the Ice Rings of Sokol an artifact, a geographical feautre of his home world, or something else entirely? If the latter, does that make Sokol the name of his homeworld? All of this I feel like could be explained in the Dossiers fairly easily, and in doing so it would make the characterā€™s dialogue much more meaningful and interesting without having to alter it. And this isnā€™t just limited to Glacius, eitherā€“extra entries could be used to elaborate more and more on all of the other characters too. And I would certainly play countless more hours to unlock these extra Dossiers!
TL;DR hopefully you guys can find the time to squeeze in more Dossiers, giving us lore nerds even more incentive to keep coming back to the mode.

4. One lastā€“and very minorā€“Dossier thing is just that the description of how to unlock item Dossiers is a little unclear. It says to unlock them by ā€œcompleting standard missionsā€ā€¦ I feel like clarifying could be helpful. Do you have to have the item equipped? Do you have to have the item equipped and use it? How many missions do you have to complete before a Dossier unlocks? Just that sort of stuff, to help players know what theyā€™re aiming for.

5. Now back to the subject of more lore, I really like the idea that a previous user had of adding character dialogue and interactions at the end of the day to make team composition more meaningful. Yes, yes, a hundred times yes. I would also like to see characters get more pre-fight dialogue, right now it seems a little repetitive. And itā€™s a little strange to me that characters interact with the Mimics, but not with other real characters? I think there should be dialogue there, tooā€¦ youā€™d think real beings with history and varied motives would have more to say to each other than shadow-based beings that just like to spew threats at their opponent.

I think thatā€™s it for now? Thereā€™s a couple of UI/interface things too but theyā€™ve mostly been hit on by the people before me. So I guess my final verdict is that I love the mode and am really happy to have another offline mode to play! And Iā€™m really happy that itā€™s a little bit more character and choice-driven than previous modes! I just hope it can be expanded upon in the future. Definitely a good first step for a mode that has never really been seen in a fighting game beforeā€¦ it has a lot of promise! I feel like it could be a really great gateway into the world and characters of KI if it gets a little more expansion.

In any case Iā€™m having a great time and Iā€™m really excited to see what kind of new stuff is available in the mode when it officially launches. :smile: Kudos to the entire KI team for breaking new ground with this, itā€™s proving to be a lot of fun!

1 Like

Havenā€™t beaten Gargos yet but managed to get rid of his buffs

Hello! Big thanks to the developers, Iā€™m very excited that I got to join in on this beta and (hopefully) provide some helpful feedback. I pretty much played Shadow Lords all day today, and Iā€™m largely positive on the experience thus far. Iā€™ll try to keep my thoughts as concise and quick as I can here!

What I enjoyed:

• Clean and easy-to-grasp UI
  • Straightforward, quick crafting system
  • Challenging mode is difficult and does not hold your hand, but doesnā€™t completely curb stomp you either
  • Unique mission choices (Ghost Ship, Cult Of Gargos, etc.) often add a fun risk/reward decision, not always with an obvious answer
  • Omen fights can get wonderfully insane! Did he get special AI?
  • Lots of collectible documents
  • Fairly methodical and strategic to an extent, much different than any other fighting game campaign Iā€™ve played
  • Incredibly cheesy dialogue (ā€œIā€™ll cut your head off and use it as a footstool!ā€ is my favorite)

* The unique ending for Gargos, as itā€™s a small touch that pleasantly surprised me the first time around

What I had some issues with:

• Not a ton of mission variety yet; lots of solitary mimic attacks at warehouse/village/factory/etc.
  • Higher level AI is occasionally a bad offender of reading button inputs
  • AI Stoneskin Gargos is extremely exploitable (was able to beat with all buffs with only my Gargosā€™ c.HK)
  • Healing items outside of the specific healing packet seem extremely rare
  • Parrying seems sort of loose at the moment
  • ā€œThe Real Xā€ missions raise corruption (very nitpicky, but still)

* The bomb choice feels blind luck based. This might be the point, but itā€™s still frustrating

• Craft resource amounts not always clear; makes some resource decisions seem like a shot in the dark
  • No guest character fights yet (understandable from a story perspective, but it would help add a little extra variety in the fights)

Bugs I found:

• When comboing a Tank Chest with Spinal, his Lv. 4 Skelleport ender misses on its second and fourth hits
  • Occasionally, items that granted invincibility did not, well, grant invincibility (was killed by normal grab at one point)
  • When comboing a Tank Chest with RAAM, his Lv. 4 Dominance ender caused the blue background to persist beyond the combo animation, only to fade to complete black during his win animation. It was actually kinda cool, tbh :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Finished match with Mira at 100% health with around half the bar being ā€œborrowedā€ for blood attacks, but was placed at 87% health at the World Map

* Is Miraā€™s third story cutscene supposed to play before fighting Mimic Mira?

• Was able to initiate the Ramā€™s Psychic Breaker during the beginning of an Ultra (thankfully, this did not cause any further issues in the match)
  • Mimic Tuskā€™s art has a normal skin tone on his tattooed shoulder

Hopefully I havenā€™t said too much that hasnā€™t been said already. Again, huge thanks for allowing me and many other users try this out, and I canā€™t wait to see the full thing! :smiley:

SL works fine with me.
The tutorial at the beggining is really helpfull, but after a playthrough i started putting down the UI.
Feels solid exp and kept my intrest to the end where Gargos with 2 of his buffs conquered earth.
Now, in most of the matches i didnt feel like had to use my buffs.More like i did just to see how it is than needed them and i wasnt on easy.
The level IV and higher mimics, wasnt hard enough.
The videos following the story of ur main character need to be arted instead of actual graphics.It will give more freedom to the designers and promote much better the hardcore and more underground aesthetic of the game.
Even the small dialogues before fights could be comic styled with arts of each one
The game yells for it.
Anyway, ill keep on for the rest of the week and see how it goes.
btw, thans Rukariā€¦

My 2nd half hour within the mode;

Turns out, thereā€™s an issue with sound recording/streaming but nothing is noticed in-game, only on the Twitch playback.
Will try a full reboot into playing and streaming to see if that fixes.

Did like the Riptor-specific option of ā€œBurnā€ Noticed quite a few gallows humour, dark humour and just plain movie homage. I like it, but it all needs to be smoother.

Any way to reuse loaded resources? Itā€™s funny to have to reload another Fulgore unit on the same stage. Something like that would really benefit from being streamlined.

If there was one thing I would change above all else, it would be the something about the Armored opponents. I wish there was a visual/audio cue to indicate that they got their armor back (Maybe small pips under their name or a small flash on their person). Iā€™ve lost multiple fights because I never knew when they would have armor again.

Another thing is the AI can get away with A LOT of stuff. Fulgoreā€™s AI can cancel his Cyber Dash into his DP in the opposite direction when he gets jumped over. Thereā€™s a lot of other funny stuff the AI can do that lead me to think that itā€™s just straight up reading inputs, like frame 1 punishes or throw techs.

There were also a couple of bugs that Iā€™ve run into.

-After completing a mission, I was unable to leave the rewards screen without quitting the game. And when I quit and restarted, my character was dead, so I had to waste a revival scroll on him.

-When I was buying a pack in the Emporium, the amount of currency I had didnā€™t refresh, So I thought I had more than I actually had. So I just mashed through the menu that popped up and wasted 600 KI gold (not much, I know, but still). It was only when I returned to The Hub that the numbers reflected the correct amount.

-I have my Xbox in the ā€œalways onā€ state. When I turned it off and returned the next day to play, all of my fights were dropping frames. Not a big problem in other games, but here, it was eating inputs and messing with timings, and all of the usual things that happen. Luckily, it went away when I quit the game and restarted.

Suggestions that I would make

-Have some indication of when armored opponents regenerate their armor

-Before missions, sometimes you get to trade supplies for other things or for the chances of things happening. I would like to know how much of something I currently own before trading it away. So that way, I can actually think and weigh the odds before trading.

-Have some way of indicating the appearance of a Tank Chest. I know if you do some options before the mission, itā€™ll tell you there is a tank chest that appeared. The problem is, throughout the course of the fight, itā€™s easy to forget about and you lose precious time trying to react. I think a short timer beforehand would fix that.

Other than that, Iā€™m really enjoying it, but it gets frustrating sometimes because of the AI and their armor.

@developers

So unsure what happened, but on my second playthrough of SL today, I just finished playing/beating the 1st Omen when Gargos arrived. It was Day 9 and the other Omenā€™s still had between 1 to 3 days before they arrived.

I went into the fight with Gargos having 4 buffs and got wrecked.

I think there has to be an easier way to determine the corruptions of the different continents. I was monitoring the corruption and still got snuck up on. That or it was a bug and Gargos shouldnā€™t have appearedā€”not sure.

Yep, we hear you. Thereā€™s going to be some major adjustments in the way that quests are handled so that you can encounter more of them in the final version

2 Likes

Yeah there were a couple ā€˜always onā€™ state bugs that we should have fixed for the final - sorry about that. Weā€™re also aware of that UI refresh bug. Should also be fixed on final.

Good idea on the Armor.

Thanks for the write up!

Kraig

I would like to add something to my previous post:

In the spanish version, Coven is translated into ā€œaquelarreā€. Iā€™m ok with that, but IMO it should be with capital leter, ā€œAquelarreā€, not ā€œaquelarreā€. Same applies to the Night Guard (Guardia de la Noche), although Iā€™m not sure how this last one is in the game

Really impressed with SL mode so farā€¦

Feedback so far:

It starts off great in terms of cut scenes etc but then it gets a bit repetitive and very dialogue heavy.

My GF doesnā€™t like the fact the characters can be seen through the treasure chest when standing in its position (imo not really a big deal but she wanted me to note that haha)

When i was looking through the character records the majority of the roster donā€™t seem to have cut scenes? Is this going to change in the full release?

Overall I think its one of the best fighting game modes Iā€™ve played since the Soul Calibur series (prior to SCV) and sets a good framework for releasing future DLC (i.e an Ultratech version where you need to stop the organisation from taking over the world ort ry to prevent the rebellion from foiling your plans if you choose an Ultratech member)

P.s how many turns can you have before facing gargos? Can you literally keep going non-stop if you keep the corruption low?

As far as I know, how long it takes for Gargos to arrive is completely up to you. Iā€™ve lasted as long as 30 days before I started skipping out of boredom, Iā€™ve killed off the Omens as early as Day 6. All up to you.

I reached day 45. Then skipped until his arrive

2 Likes