Season 4 or a new KI?

:wink:
Of course!

It wasn’t a matter of having high standards, just the ability to look at one game and acknowledge it looked bad compared to the cabinets around it. I saw the specialness of their aesthetic w/o understanding the concept of aesthetics - across the aisle from MK2, SF2, House of the Dead, Dig-Dug, Sinistar… KI looked bad and made a lot of annoying noise.

I guess it’s just one of those things you had to live to understand.:wink:

New KI mostly looks really good, by the way.

Yep, from my understanding the camera movements were tied to the map data packs not the characters, meaning that the ultimate could only be done on one stage. Initially they were just going to give us the ultimate on Shadow Tiger’s lair but they devised a new system that somehow allows us to use them on any stage. Probably tying the animations to the character data instead of the map data.

It had nothing to do with the limitations of the engine, just the coding used to put them in the game. I’m sure DH probably rushed to get Shago’s ultimate working in time and probably intended to fix it later but then they were pulled away from KI.

1 Like

From what I gather the fix was that they remove the background image while the animation plays out so that there won’t be any interference, which is why the screen goes black when the ultimate is going.

I would have said a new season but at this point KI is pretty much left behind in the crowd of a whole bunch of newer more improved fighting games. SFV will soon offer more content than KI, Tekken will be out soon with a huge cast, MvC will take all the casuals along with Injustice. At this point KI is stagnant and the devs seem to be looking away from things we asked for a year ago. It’s kind of late at this point.

New KI or bust. The current game is broken in terms of mechanics no one besides die hard fans who defend it to death want. The animations are mediocre. No matter how many times they change the lighting it’s still bad. Just let it be I say.

Unless they make a new KI game I don’t think people will be looking to go all in on KI with a bunch of other fighting games offering better content out in the market.

Pretty sure SF4 is MT framework. I’m confident that it’s not unreal 3.

Also learning that many people on this forum have a very weird idea of what a game engine is/does.

I’ll be totally honest, I don’t really understand what a game engine does. I try not to talk like I do though. Sorry if in have misrepresented my ignorance in this matter. Let the record state that Mr.Morning knows not what a game engine does.

That said, I feel like I remember seeing the Unreal logo while booting SF4 a bajillion times. My memory is a bit stoney though… shoulda googled it first, derp.

It’s just weird to see so many people saying “well, x ran on y engine, so if z is on y engine it’s going to be like x.”

Here’s an assortment of games running on unreal 3.

Needless to say, an engine does not define the kind of game a developer is going to make.

3 Likes

That’s the truth.

Sonic Boom was made on the god ■■■■ Cry Engine
Let that sink in.

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/screenshot0257_1407957021.jpg?w=620&h=348&crop=1

Talent>Tools

On a slightly different note, when KI does get a sequel (and it eventually will. Nothing dies forever in Hollywood) it should be WELL into the Scorpio’s life cycle. When a console launches, it takes a while for programmers to really get into the architecture. This means that as the life of the box goes on, a) people get better at building things for it, and b) the manufacturers can optimize performance. The difference between games that come out at the begining of a console’s lifecycle versus those that come out at the end are astonishing.
Take the Xbox 360 for example:
Here’s Perfect Dark Zero. A launch title.

Now here’s Halo 4, a game released in the last year of the console’s support.
http://static4.gamespot.com/uploads/screen_kubrick/mig/3/0/2/9/2123029-169_halo_4_gameplay_x360_110612_elevator.jpg

So if there’s going to be a tangible difference, it will need to be a while before another KI gets out there. And what will we do until then? Play a version of this game with even less support?
People keep looking at this like an either-or sort of situation. Does this mean that the people who want a sequel are perfectly content with this game? No changes they want, or no changes that could make them come back? That they’d be happy to either play this as is or ditch the game for the next 2-3+ years? And do the people who want infinite seasons for this game really want to ground KI into this system without future sequels? Can this game really be like Smash Bros or TF2 where they can subsist almost indefinitely?

I’ll reiterate that Killer Instinct should get at least one more season to round it out. 4-5 characters (with the possible inclusion of one final guest or another Shadow character or whatever, but preferably all new original fighters), a ■■■■■■■■ of feature creeping (Ultimates, Stages, Online Practice, KI2 music, Costumes/colors, etc). We’ve made it to EVO 3 years running, and I don’t think stopping now to work on a sequel would get us there a 4th time. Let’s give this game all that it needs to be a truly definitive KI experience so that the years of waiting can be spent in the best possible way…and give whoever is in charge of the next KI as much time and good will as possible to live up to the expectations this game can set once it reaches its zenith.

6 Likes

Shouldn’t you have “polled” this one out?
Anyway, Season 4.

As I mentioned before, I really think they should continue supporting this game for a relatively decent length of time i.e. 1 1/2 to 2 more years or so, but I’d like to clarify that I most certainly will EVENTUALLY want work on a KI4 to commence. I think a few years from now they could announce it, and maybe it will be released for the tail end of the scorpio’s life cycle, or either be a launch title for whatever MS has in store after that. I gotta say I’m a little concerned now about the talk of IG moving on from KI and never coming back

If I recall, OP was lobbying for a sequel, in which case it is in the interest of their cause that they don’t poll: we’ve had a dozen or so polls like this, S4 tends to win by about a 2:3 margin.

For Xbox S, they should come out with a 4K Version with maybe some new skins and all the previous skins and colors. The rest of their money should go into supporting tournaments and keep the franchise legitimate until the next iteration is released.

MEANWHILE: Work on KI 4 or Reboot KI entirely for a fresh look at characters, story, and gameplay modes, theme, and scenarios. Oh and Mick Gordon, Norgate and Beanland, Atlas Plugged and Celldweller returning for new music, remixes, etc. It has to be the best looking god-damn fighting game in history when it is released.

Look at this one:

@MDMMORNING True, most people want S4 I guess.

2 Likes

I don’t want a season 4 I want a fresh new game. This game really fun but it is getting old. We’ve been playing at the same old ki while newer and shinier games have came along like, Mkx, Pokken, Street fighter 5, KoF14, and soon to be Tekken 7, injustice 2, MvC infinite. Adding more characters and Mechanics will just be too much and just over complicate things. Allowing IG or whoever will make the next ki to upgrade graphics, animations, redesign characters, ,and Refine the battle system in this new game.

1 Like

Yes, the OP clearly supports a sequel instead of a S4, but he created this topic with the purpose of knowing other people’s opinions. Hence, a poll would be more suitable.
But, as you referred, we already seem to have many, which would make another one redundant.

1 Like

Ultimately, I want what’s best for the game. Whatever keeps it’s popularity growing and brings in new players, I’m down for.
That being said, I’d like to see a season 4 for the current iteration of KI. I just think that there are still things that need to be added before this current version is complete (like a dedicated stage for each character). Once that’s all done, I’d love to see a new KI game. I just don’t think it’s been long enough to warrant another game just yet.

1 Like

Honestly, I believe that the seasonal model is the best option for the entire genre - the trouble is getting the bigwigs to see it and stay on board with it. New games and sequels look better for profitability, but keeping a single game running is better for the game and it’s community. When a new game comes about, gameplay often changes relatively drastically, and people are learning a whole new game (KIS3 was pretty much this, actually). Trouble is, fighting game are so nuanced and esoteric that often times a new game is released before the communities have actually learned to play the last game well - this would certainly be the case for KI. Is it really good for the players to get a new game when we’ve barely scratched the surface of this one?

Think of Chess or Poker. How often to completely new rulesets override the modern competitive standards of these games, forcing players to completely relearn years of playmaking and strategization?

Moreover, we don’t need tons of characters and new mechanics and whatnot each season - just server upkeep and support, maybe polish and cosmetics/stages/whatever to keep the game funded. The first few seasons should be for building the game, the mechanic foundation, the roster - I think we’ve pretty well done that. Now we all have to actually get good at the game. The trouble is, for us, we have to rely on MS servers (which disgusts me, but that’s another story). If we jump ship now, we lose a game before we had a chance to actually get good at it, and we’ll probably do the same thing with the next one. That’s a sad thing.

To illustrate my point, look no further than the MvC community. Even after the devs bailed on it, the community hung together and leveled up over the course of a decade. Compare year 3 MvC3 footage to last year, and observe just how much better everyone played. Staple charactes fluctated and near vanished, players got so good that previously laughable builds were taking EVO - because of dedication to the game. If they had gotten MvCI 5 years ago, we never would have had reason to believe Big Bodies could take the crown, and I think the whole FGC would have been a little worse off for it.

My Opinion

KI Season 4 (Optional) : New accessories, new stages and something like Omega Mode in SFIV so the developers can test some crazy ideas.

New KI (Needed, [hey I say it was my option, ok?] ): New engine, new models, new mechanics, story mode, no seasons, but DLC for new characters and stages (Kinda like Smash Bros for Wii U)

I just want to see the new KI as a complete game, so people from outside the community see a complete experience from the start, instead of free to start, buy more stuff later to have the complete game.

I dont want a new normal season because this game, it is fun, it is really good, but it is already old, the hype wouldn’t be the same. it would be better to announce a new KI.