Sabrewulf Season 3 Rebalance Thread

Can’t wait to play some basketball with Wulf. I’ll be like:

#GET DUNKED

2 Likes

“Having spent much time at the mercy of his wild side, Sabrewulf has learned that being a predator is often as much about patience as it is power. He is learning new ways to pounce on and surprise his many enemies.”

Keywords seem to be “patience” and “surprise” What do you think?

Well, patience does mean frame traps, so I guess the lore was really hinting that this was going to happen.

New ways to pounce = dive kick from the air (looks like he’s pouncing)
New ways to surprise = flipout
As much about patience as power = less power (damage reduction on shadow eclipse etc), tries to pick his spots more often (overhead a little slower, but better run)

Yeah, the pouncing too. Looking back it all makes sense now.

You seem like a glass-half-empty kind of person…

Where did that come from?

You seem to be really fixated on the 2 moves that got slowed down and completely ignoring his buffs. The overhead is 6 frames slower. Thats 6/60th of a second difference. 20 frames is not easy to react to. As others have said Jago’s overhead is just as slow and it still hits AND he doesn’t even have a low threat as good as Wulf’s. The running uppercut nerf is barely a nerf. Its a bit easier to whiff punish. Whatever. Considering how fast he runs now its a fair change.

BTW the run speed buff+longer range on hamstring looks ridiculous. The stagger on heavy kick looks scary. The air juggle changes look fun as hell. I mean, he got a goddamn divekick. A DIVEKICK. If you can’t see the benefit of that I don’t even…

So not only do pros have an absolute say when it comes to game mechanics. Apparently causal gamers can’t have opinions either. That’s cool now that I know, then this place isn’t for me.

You can have an opinion but if you voice that opinion in a discussion it is open to examination and discussion itself. If it wasn’t then what right do you have commenting on the balance changes? They are also based on the opinion of the developers, and you are discussing the validity of them.

You have been focusing very much on the nerfs Wulf got instead of the nerfs and buffs in tandem. You even said the only buff you got was the stagger. I would say you are not being objective regarding the changes. You don’t need to be a top player or a pro to have an opinion (hell I’m not), but if your argument is presented in an uneven and subjective manner (which I’d argue it has been) then it is not unreasonable for people to contest that opinion in a public forum.

1 Like

Don’t be so melodramatic. There are maybe 4 pros who frequent this site - most of the feedback in this thread and others is coming from casual gamers like yourself. Or as casual as we can be while regularly posting on a forum anyway :-p

A lot of the ideas from S3 are actually ideas that came from casuals like us. Thunder’s sammamish follow-ups, Aganos peacemaker changes, and yes, some of Wulf’s reactability adjustments, all came from posts and threads here on the forum. IG balances around high level play, but they also balance around intermediate play too. Your opinion isn’t being challenged because we’re all a bunch of super high level pros, it’s being challenged simply because we disagree that Wulf is now this massively nerfed character with no tools or ability to open people up.

2 Likes

Yeah @DyingAlloy66626 , pretty much what these guys said. C’mon man, stop saying your opinion doesn’t matter just because someone disagrees with you.

There are a lot of people on this site and we all have varying degrees of knowledge and experience with the game and from what I’ve experienced, MS & IG take feedback from all levels of play in to account. You seem to be seeing some sort of snobbery here that I really don’t think exists.

No one’s trying to drive you away here, by any stretch of the imagination. You have an opinion and you’re more than entitled to it. :slightly_smiling: No one would seek to take that away. Just know that when you post that opinion, others with opinions they have a right to will either agree with you, disagree with you outright, or challenge you on it. There’s nothing wrong with that. We’re just having a conversation here. A pretty good one, I think.

For example, I’ve been saying that I don’t like Sabrewulf’s instinct now. Some have agreed and others have challenged me on that because they know that his feral cancel can still be deadly, even though it got nerfed a little.

I personally don’t find using FC to be fun. I find it to be more of a utilitarian move geared toward higher levels of play and I’d love it if they found something more fun for the lower level players than chip damage. Again, others have challenged me on this, as some don’t see FC as being a high level maneuver. I politely disagree. There’s no problem. No pro players challenging my right to have that opinion or outwardly thinking less of me.

Honestly, and this is just my own experience, but this is one of the more friendly, welcoming boards you’ll find for a game. If others are disagreeing with you and challenging you, that’s fine. It doesn’t make your opinion any less because you’re not a pro player.

2 Likes

After watching the EVO finals and CD jr abusing that move…I’m so glad that was taken out. I can see why and not sure why some think that change was not ok. Thanks for fixing that!

the word unbreakable shouldn’t even be allowed and if there is an unbreakable needs to be fixed asap …I wish Omen had an unbreakable with 20 grand on the line!

The changes to sabrewulf are starting to grow on me. Im still not a fan of Feral cancels but what can you do. In trade for feral cancels I would have liked to have seen more speed and more range on jumping slash and shadow jumping slash.

@TheKeits could you consider improving the recap on shadow jumping slash. It just seems to whiff too much when you are spending meter on it. Not sure whats going on but times where it looks like it should recap it doesn’t.

I’m not being melodramatic. I’m simply fatigued in explaining myself I stated in opinion and suddenly I’m on trial. I could understand if I stated my opinion as fact. However I did not only opinions and my interpretations. I’m probably the most causal gamer among all of you. I’ve stated many times I don’t study the analytical aspect of the game like hit boxes, frame data, etc. I’m just someone who in their free time plays the game when possible. Think of the scenario ask a random non gaming person off the street to pick a character from KI they will most likely pick a character based by looks, play, and feel. From a character standpoint that’s what I’m trying to say.

I still don’t think causal gamers matter all that much in development but again that’s my interpretation Its not a “good” or “bad” thing its just how I personally understand it. Again opinions not fact like many are paraphrasing for me. Take my thoughts and ideas with a grain of salt.

This is a forum for discussion so of course no one agrees on anything lol. Also everyone is super passionate. So dont take it personally when someone disagrees with you.

Also as a self professed casual player who doesnt study the game in depth you should probably keep an open mind when it comes to balance. Most of these changes probably won’t effect the way play anyhow so no need to be so worried.

Let’s not downplay it – leaping slash went from unreactable to reactable if you’re looking for it. Taking away Wulf’s ability to put his opponents into a truly unreactable 50/50 in order to buff other aspects of his play constitutes a pretty meaningful refocus, and it’s okay for people to not agree with it or like it.

1 Like

Again the disagreements I do not mind its the “prove it” mindset I don’t care much for when I state an opinion on something. I play games as an enjoyment same with joining the forums meeting other enthusiasts.

I still stand by my opinion on the balance changes for the character. While I am disappointed in some of the changes I will still continue to play him to the best of my ability which isn’t that much. Otherwise I will watch the pros wreck with wulf.

Apologies for going off topic here, but why do you believe that pros are the only people that have a say when it comes to game mechanics? What makes you think that IG doesn’t take all levels of play in to account? I’m just curious. I’m not trying to get you to prove your opinion to me, I’m just genuinely curious as to what made you arrive at that opinion.

As far as I can tell, you’ve stated your opinion on Sabrewulf and some people have disagreed with certain aspects and they’ve explained why. No one’s saying that your opinion is less valid or doesn’t matter, or that you have to think the way they do because they analyze frame data and hit boxes, at least not from what I can tell.

Personally, if I were a developer, I’d want to know what everyone thinks, from the casuals to the high end experts. They all help sell your game. I’d want to make everyone happy. The more people enjoy what they’re playing, the better, for any number of reasons.

Just throwing this out there, but “opinions not fact, take my thoughts with a grain of salt” doesn’t absolve you from people critiquing your thoughts. It’s all a part of the general conversation. No one’s trying to put you on trial here.

As far as a “prove it” mindset, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people asking you to clarify your opinion with examples. Sometimes it helps people to understand an opinion if they can see how it’s arrived at, ya know?

Sorry if you feel like you’re being attacked, but other than that “glass half empty” comment, I don’t think anyone’s been aggressive or disparaging toward you. My apologies if you feel differently though. I thought we were all having a good, substantive conversation, and personally, I appreciate all opinions and perspectives. I think that most here do as well.