Riptor S3 Discussion

I think it’s generally said by folks who don’t play Riptor but rather those who fight her say you’re exaggerating. I don’t think they’ll quite know the same feeling you have, unless they used a character a specific way and got nerfed to.

But believe me dude Riptor did have some pretty good tools and used wisely.

For example after a hard knock down you can use tail flip or tail-stab from predator stance and you can keep em’ guessing it was a good mix-up to keep them on their toes. Sur eit doens’ cross up like tail-flip but you can get the same mix-up effect.

You can also pressure with light punch and light kick attacks. Just because you won’t be able to cross up people like you use to, doesn’t mean Riptor’s mix up ability isn’t depleted : )

I suppose this is maybe based on different fight styles. For me, I like to knock my opponent down and wait to see what they do, if they mess up then I capitalize on that.

perhaps sometime tommorow we can do a Riptor fight. > : )

I would gladly accept Jeffron but I’m sorry I will have to post-pone for this upcoming weekend :). I hope you are still available.

As for a rebuttle, I’m sorry but I honestly believe I understand Riptor very deeply. To the point that I would take my own advice over any one Riptor players advice. And that’s not to be cocky, just genuine.

I think tail flip is absolutely necessary to riptor’s gameplan. It’s just my opinion.

Riptor does not have any reliable frame traps, nor reversals, and she’s not as capable as the other rush-down characters without a strength.

Thunder has damage, sabrewulf has a safe grounded cross-up, orchid has the grenade, omen has projectile mix-up, and in Riptors case, she had meaty cross-up mix-ups (not safe, mind you). Those characters have not received nerfs to their strengths, while Riptor has.

Thunder’s damage was nerfed, as was dash through mixups for Sabrewulf.

Riptor actually has pretty good frame traps, not sure why you think otherwise. She has very good frame data on her medium normals, they are nearly all positive or at least neutral.

1 Like

Riptor also has predator stance mixups as well. Are you forgetting those? Flame carpet as well. Plus she now gets motars.

compared to the rest of the cas thtough Thunder should still be prety strong by comaprison. almost everyone got damage nerfs so I don’t think this means Thunder no longer hits hard, granted this topic isn’t about him.

Riptor does have some frame-traps you can get away with, like her light based attacks.

a mortar will make anti-airs a bit easier on her and we’ll have more to her than beyond that.

@SmoothWhiteDuck that’s fine. but I have to say that I don’t the tail-flip has made her incapable of being a threat in comparison to the rest of the cast. Than again I use Riptor in my own way so I’m not quite as hurt by the tail-flip as you miht be.

Granted once season3 starts up we can experiment and see what we can find.

He’s saying you can cancel Riptor’s dash into rake kick. He was just telling you that she can cancel into a jump.

@DraconianMith

Technically speaking her rake kick is a jump.

Thats the joke lol, Why wouldn’t I know that? Thats like telling me “Riptor can’t dash, she runs.” But what if he meant it as consolation because she cannot jump out of her run . Either way it’s funny.

Technically it isn’t a jump at all. However imaginary wise I can pretend.

At first, I saw the tail flip nerfs and thought: “Oh no, the yolo move she depends on for damage just got even worse.” Then I realized that they want us to move away from a yolo style of play. The fire mortars, new predator stance buffs… I guess they just want us to use her differently.

I hardly went yolo with Riptor anyway and in most cases yolo always gets you killed in the first place. At least when you fight an opponent that knows what they’re doing against you.

I don’t think Riptor’s gonna have much trouble this season.

1 Like

I’m very glad they didn’t just give riptor a traditional projectile. I don’t even care at this point that her tail flip is nerfed, the mortar completely makes up for it. Imagine, mortar into running grab, or hard knockdown into mortar into flame carpet. It’s gonna get fun on ranked in March.

Gamewide changes also help her. Superarmor changes don’t really hurt her with headbut being safe anyways (only hurts instinct mode dashins) but standing HK against aganos or TJ is really good. Flipout is amazing and stagger is really an intstinct buff (running HK as a block mixup after headbut ender across stage).

One worry though, does the extra 6 frames and the “adjusted trajectory” of the move hurt the tail flip resets? I know it’ll be easier to block but I’m scared that manual into tail flip won’t reset, it was easy enough to break out of already.

No way of knowing to be sure but I agree on the stuff we can look forward to!

Some folks on here wanted Riptor to get some changes and they got that, and as anticipated, she got nerfs to keep her balanced with her buffs.

Not that I’m complaining though : >

I really glad the buffs cater to my playstyle with her. I poke and Predator so much that these changes compliment my style so very well.

I’ve been thinking about Riptor’s new mortars in conjunction with her flame carpet and her huge pokes and it hit me:

Does Riptor have a wee bit of a ZONER in her?

Think about it: She’s got ;
-A run to give her optimal position
-Pokes that rival Glacius in length
-Flame Carpet to deter approach and stuff counter attacks
-and now, an overhead projectile that covers the skies and homes in on a target’s location.

With the right discipline and a confused opponent the Rip Tide could go out and never have to come back in.

You can’t really zone with the mortars though, they track to where the opponent is when fired not as they’re flying, so while you’re busy shooting your mortars they’ll just hit you with their fullscreen special move, heck on stream steve literally just walked forward to avoid them.

1 Like

Hmm…this raises even more questions.
Then they would be a tool to coax your opponent closer, perhaps? Fire them off every once in a while to keep your opponent on the move, forcing them to avoid one hazard while you plan an attack with another?
If the opponent too far, they have to dodge mortars as an annoyance. However, Riptor can quick close the distance with a Dashing HP or a Jumping Tail Flip if she catches her opponent distracted, espeically in instinct.
All this theory crafting is getting me antsy. I want Season 3 in my hands NOW. :crying_cat_face:

Pretty much. I wouldn’t fire them unless the enemy was jumping through.

In Riptor’s case I’d probably use them to add to pressure, fire the mortars against certain characters that may sit back and zone and then chase them with a charging firebreath.

However even though Riptor CAN use some of the fire mentioned for zoning. You’re probably better off cornering your opponent with some close combat.

New adjustment to Riptor. Her run back H.K in instinct is now the same frame data as not in instinct.

1 Like

Thats good

Was her run HK worse in instinct??