Riptor S3 Discussion

Added change list for Season 3 to original post

In this case, BREAKER BAIT!

One change I wish they added to Riptor would be to allow her to cancel her run into a Jump. Not a Super Jump like Maya no, but just a nice smooth Jump out of her forward run. Currently she has to stop the run, then go through the entire pre-jump animation.

Actually if you press the kick buttons she can do her leaping rake-kick while running which is basically her jumping.

I canā€™t tell if youā€™re being condescending or consolingā€¦

RIP to tail flip. the 4-6 frames is not that much, but the animation is WAAY slower looking, its gonna take some real conditioning to get any real chance to use it.

Flipout is gonna be great for her, no doubt. every clever girl is gonna lead to a mix up. sweet.

Sad no real instinct changes, however they did fix the Run back HK having a longer recovery in instinct, now its the same as normal, so we get those combos there.

mortar is FAST, just popping one is real quick. you can use it like youd use Back+HP. gonna have some fuun stuff with it on Knockdowns.

Wholio did you get a chance to try her out at KIWC?
Is the tail flip nerf substantial? Howā€™s the air tail flip?

In my mind they took away the one real threat Riptor had and replaced it with Mortar, Stagger, and Flip-out.

Iā€™m actually quite excited to try these new mechanics out and the Mortars seem to have potential. It just seems that now thereā€™s no real threats to be scared of.

A big part of Riptorā€™s game (or at the very least my game) was the threat of a possible tail flip. Even if Iā€™m not going to use tail flip, the threat of it being a possibility would allow mind games to be successful.

Tick throws, high lows, neutral jumps, all of these suffer from tail flip being nerfed.

Iā€™m no expert on Riptor, I have recently started to play her a bit more after not doing so for a while (I played her when she came out but focused on Spinal before she got the big changes to predator cancels, then picked up Hisako and Aria). However I am interested in the changes and am eager to explore what she can offer in s3.

I actually think tail flip will still have limited uses based on positioning as it will be possible to make it quite ambiguous which side youā€™ll land on. Where I think the real value with tail flip will be is after a Flipout, as the opponent will have to land and then gauge which strength youā€™ve used and where you will land.

I also think the incidental buffs will make her instinct more threatening. As well as the changes to the tail flip you have the increased damage on primal linkers (in particular the HP version which does increased damage already), sweep being more safe, run HK and predator-dash HP being staggers, back run HP doing more damage and the addition of flame mortars all will make her instinct more valuable.

I did play her at KIWC.
I sadly didnt get much time, but yeah Tail flip is done, a LOT more people are gonna block it if done raw.
its the animation, the ā€œAdjustedā€ trajectory of it is REALLY noticeable. Air flips took it just as bad too, those should of be left alone imo.

shes really gonna be about getting clever girl to st.lk flipout xx Pred stance mixup, but you can still get reversaled if you arent careful.

maybe I wasnt doing it right, but I dont think you can cancel normals into Mortar, i was trying st.lk xx mortar but wasnt getting it, luckily you can wait and just shoot one and still be safe I think.

Tail flip is gonna require a mortar to be on screen at the same time.

A damn shame if you ask me. Iā€™m really gonna miss tail flip mixups

we all are.

I dunno if you caught the saucy suite at KIWC

but I played a match vs Flash with the S3 build, trying out some new stuffs

You can see the match here
the match starts about 2:07:00 if that link doesnt load properly

I definatley understand this. All because people just didnā€™t want to learn how to counter it. Too slow to really be of use, so we wonā€™t see it too much.

To me that was also one of her signature moves, now it really has no place as far as attacks go.

But with her new tools on hand I think thereā€™s still tons more we can add with her strategy and we can approach better now with predator stance going under certain fireballs.

Itā€™s not over yet dino fighters

The struggle seems pretty real now. All the Riptor play in that saucey suite footage looked rough.

Took away the one real strength from an already struggle character, and replaced it with anti Sadira projectiles?

I guess time will tell how this plays out. For now it looks really grim IMO.

As a Riptor main I never struggled too much with Riptor and some of the moves like the tail-flip I did not use often. Usually Iā€™d get close to my opponent and apply pressure and then I wait for them to mess up and then lay into them again.

I didnā€™t use tail-flip too much because I had a feeling people were catching on and knew how to block it. Judging from the nerfs it seems that was not true, and people just really had no idea how defend against it after all.

Even then I still used alot of Riptorā€™s tools. I thankfully wonā€™t have to adjust too much to Riptorā€™s strategie.

Think of it this way though:

With flip out we got more juggle opportunities aside from clever girl>clever girl>etc.

We have a mortar to make Sadira less annoying and who knows what we can it for next.

Riptor hasnā€™t lost any of her mobility so it shouldnā€™t be too hard getting in on opponents.

out of all of my mains I think Riptor got hurt the least, at least based off my experiences and play-styles.

Iā€™ve been thinking quite a bit about it. Got some ideas that Iā€™d love to try out in practice mode with flip outs and Tail Fling juggles ect. So I understand that thereā€™s going to be some adjustments, and I am definitely excited.

Itā€™s just that her strongest mix-up potential is gone, even if it were simply an unused threat, like in your case.

The real fun in my mind was the really competitive matches. Now I am by no means the top Riptor, but i can certainly compete at a very high level. At this level of play, no, Tail Flip doesnā€™t give you a free win, but it plays a very very important role in Riptors gameplan.

Iā€™ve got many many tail flip set-ups. Almost all of these set-ups also include a reversal bait option, a fake tail-flip set-up, or an armored set-up. And the mind-games within using this playstyle are incredibly fun.

The hurt isnā€™t that I have to remove Tail Flip from my arsenal, itā€™s that the entire Riptor gameplan is now compromised because of the nerf.

From what I see, Riptor, under IGā€™s definition, has been RE-worked, and I donā€™t think they see it.

Dont be so dramatic. Its a difference 4/60th of a second. Tailfip will still work if setup properly. Just not so free.

Yā€™all are seriously exaggerating the tailflip nerf. Think of this, a random rake into tailflip still hits like 95% of the time (heck we saw it happen at the world cup so itā€™s not like it never works on top players) and it ttelegraphs the incoming flip a lot more that an extra 4 frames because they know exactly when itā€™s coming. The raw version will be fine.

Like everything else you do it enough times and the players catch on, So I donā€™t use tail-flip often to begin with. especially that move wasnā€™t hard to see coming in the first place.

ā€œexaggeratingā€ "dramatic"
It seems on the internet itā€™s damn near impossible to present an opinion without seeming upset and melodramatic.

I genuinely believe that tail flip has never been free, and my competitive experience (ie: playing and winning against high level tournament players such as bass, nicki, paul b, dayton j, list goes on) shows me that tail flip is best used as a circumstantial move, but also that it serves as a great threatening move (kinda like a sabrewulf dash through).

Iā€™m trying to present the honest and educated opinion that Riptors main strength has been greatly reduced. While other characters who received the same treatment, are already considered top tier characters.

Opinions in my mind donā€™t equal drama or anger.

Also like I said this is all just what Iā€™ve seen. So none of these opinions are cement. Itā€™s just how it appears to me. I honestly canā€™t wait.

I hope Iā€™m wrong!

To you specifically though I would love to friendly challenge you to stop my ā€œwasnā€™t hard to see comingā€ tail-flips :slight_smile: